How do I raise an ID/DS by placing dowels in the spheres (to move on a trailer)
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hawk
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: How do I raise an ID/DS by placing dowels in the spheres (to move on a trailer)

Fellow Frogger!

Default How do I raise an ID/DS by placing dowels in the spheres (to move on a trailer)

Hi everybody,
    I am helping a friend move a dead DS19 from one garage to a new one. Previously I have helped others do this by unscrewing the spheres, raising the car on a jack, then inserting a suitable dowel then replacing sphere. This raises the body of the car and allows it to be loaded on a trailer ( Beware no brakes or steering during this process ).

My question is can anybody tell me the lengths of these dowels. My memory is that the front and rear where slightly different sizes. The lengths and diameter would be very helpful.

Any advice will be welcome.
    Hawk ( Ted Cross )
    Melbourne

Advertisement
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.

Hi Ted, I would be very wary of doing this as I believe damage could occur to the dampers or possibly even the piston crown. It would be safer to jack the car and insert block spacers between the contact pads and the lower suspension bump stops. These are the upper stops that the arms contact when down on low suspension. You are not going to damage anything critical by doing this. If I recall correctly the front inner guard inspection panels have to come off to reach the front bump stops.
    Ian S likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

just uncouple the tow car from the trailer (after chocking the trailers wheels). This will create an even climb for it .... This is how I load them.

I had to do the same thing a couple of weeks back... I know have a 1963 ID19 that also needs its gearbox extracted

seeya,
    shane L.
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Some other ideas for you posted here already, but if you REALLY want to go down the dowel route, then Ive just done this to move my car.

Overall length of each of three of the props is 9cm The fourth one is 13.7cm to allow for the suspension cylinder extension piece fitted to the front right side (exhaust manifold side). You can use 29mm diameter broom handle for all four - but it's a pretty close fit in the extension piece, so I used 23.5mm broom handle in that one. Some people don't like this method of holding the suspension up. partly because of the risk of splinters in the cylinders and partly because of potential damage to the dampers on the ends of the spheres. I sanded the ends to remove rough bits and fitted sacrificial, expendable, welded spheres.
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Using dowels will almost certainly damage the damper valving and as these spheres are also repairable internally it would be a shame to lose them.
    The suspension packer method is I suggest a better option and this applies across other models Cx etc

Fellow Frogger

Yes, it's very important that the damper washers are not damaged. So, if using dowels, you could cut the threaded part away from dead welded spheres to reduce the volume you have to carry with you. There's a substantial lump of steel behind the thread. If you use an accumulator or XA/XM regulator sphere, you will need a longer dowel as they lack a damper.

if your convinced on using dowel... just take a some throw away spheres from a GS/CX/XM/BX/Xantia./etc with you .... I"m sure you have a bucket of dead ones sitting around .... Everyone seems to!
    UFO likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

UFO

What Shane said I had thought before I read his response ^^^^
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hello, I used aluminium tube with 3mm wall thickness. Seems to work OK. I removed the spacer so I just parted off 4 equal lengths.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    just uncouple the tow car from the trailer (after chocking the trailers wheels). This will create an even climb for it .... This is how I load them.

I had to do the same thing a couple of weeks back... I know have a 1963 ID19 that also needs its gearbox extracted

seeya,
    shane L.
    I agree with Shane but the dowel trick that I thought was a common one was I think short bits of pipe or so about 50mm long stuck between the bumper stops. To put anything into the rams to me would be very foolish.

John.

If you are feeling flush with money and in no hurry,

https://www.franzose.de/en/Citroen-D...-KFZ/ANR34645/

I might try making some from old spheres

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    If you are feeling flush with money and in no hurry,

https://www.franzose.de/en/Citroen-D...-KFZ/ANR34645/

I might try making some from old spheres
    Wouldn't they gouge the hell out of the cylinder Especially if you turned them when the cars weight was resting on them!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

I was planning to buy polyurethane/neoprene ? or similar in a rod form. This is available locally and cut to length has been successful in the past and will probably not damage anything. Ted

Fellow Frogger

Splinters could be a problem but remember the only surfaces that really matter are the chromed outside of the piston and the seal at the boot end of the cylinder. Some marking on the end of the piston or the bore of the cylinder isn't going to do any lasting harm as long as you do not leave any swarf or debris behind.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Wouldn't they gouge the hell out of the cylinder Especially if you turned them when the cars weight was resting on them!
    They'd probably more likely to affect the piston than the cylinder, however as they're from Der Franzose you'd expect them to come with a tested background.

I recall one of the Euro suppliers offering similar to what Ted is thinking off - a nylon rod that fits in between a disposable welded sphere and the piston to keep everything "up".
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information