Citreon C5 BSI
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Citreon C5 BSI

Tadpole

Default Citreon C5 BSI

Just wondering i have 3 c5's and was wondering can i change the bsi from one car to another or are they programed for that pacific car i have changed it and get alot of error codes and car is in limp mode could this be the reason.

Thanks in advanced

Advertisement

You need to swap as a set bsi engine ecu and keys they hold the immobiliser info with the engine so it wonít start also your highest mileage will stick onto any car you plug into and canít be changed back whatís needing the swap .
    The word is specific

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Tadpole

I changed only the bsi and still started

What are you calling the bsi

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Tadpole

Default This is what i am calling the bsi

Thatís a psf1 or a bsm fuse box under bonnet donít swap a bsi they are in the glovebox

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Garage C5 X7 4008

Tadpole

thats does BSM stand for

Tadpole

I have another Citroen c5 same car and it has the remote on the key what do i have to change to transfer that remote to the good car that does not have one. Sorry about all the questions

Fellow Frogger

Boitier de Servitude Moteur - aka engine slave unit or engine fuse/relay box. It's relatively dumb compare to the BSI (Intelligent)

Swapping the BSI around is an easy way to have your low miles car join the high roller club! You need to move the cluster too if you are fiddling and remember the VIN is coded into the BSI and engine ECU. So, whatever car it ends up in, a diagnostic computer will see it as the donor by VIN and configured for its features. Similarly, the security code, if you are doing something that requires it, must be the one for the donor car and not the recipient car's security code or you may render the donor parts useless. Be careful here!
    leithant likes this.

Tadpole

woow seems to be very complex just for a remote lol but thankyou

Itís still do able but just woah up cowboy if that was a V6 406 you could have bricked both cars if the mileage is similar and the car is exactly the same swap out the bsi and the engine ecu might be easier to swap the radio if you donít have a lexia and even the key barrels rather than swapping the blades that do break rendering your key u/s also before you start replace the battery in the remote Iíve have heaps of these die when this is done so might end up wasting your time also if you have the key code off the donor car write it on the bsi and the cover for the diag plug nobody is stealing it will save your ass one day I promise you.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Garage C5 X7 4008

1000+ Posts

And to complete the French alphabet soup - PSF - platine servitude fusibles

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger

Maybe, this is a good point to take a step back from the BSI/BSM and focus on why you think the car is stuck in limp mode and the turbo isn't working per you earlier posts. The BSI is usually reliable unless it has been fried. The BSM can develop problems, but you can swap them from car to car if desired.

Always begin with the battery. How old and have you load tested it? These cars may now be over 15, but were never tolerant of a weak battery and most won't last beyond 3-4 years. Don't just rely on a multimeter reading as that can be fooled by a battery simply having a weak surface charge. Perhaps, a cranking test?

Does the fuel pump work properly? The pre-facelift (2005) HDi's sold here have a lift pump in the tank. It will eventually fail, but a more common problem is burning of the feed wire at the fuse box. See this fix:
    HDI C5 wont start

The turbo is vacuum controlled, so the first thing to do is do a vacuum leak test. I posted portions from the factory manual for this model here some time ago and they may assist:
    C5 power issue yet again or still
    Also check the turbo air hose under the engine as it perishes and you then lose boost.

The tank fuel pump needs to give at least some pressure and that link gives the test data for it.

It may be worth reading right through both threads.
    gsmack and tasie C5 like this.

Tadpole

Thankyou everyone has been so helpful i replaced the BSI and it seemed to make a huge difference the turbo spools up now took it for a drive seems to be very slow on the response side drop your foot and have a coffee then the boost comes but that is better then no boost i guess.
    The fuel gauge seems to be now working when it wasn't b4 it would always say low fuel. (just seems to be taking along time to register that it has diesel in it)
    Anyway its a working progress i would really love to get that remote from the other car to work on this car tho.

You didnít replace the bsi

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Garage C5 X7 4008

Tadpole

BSM sorry my bad

Tadpole

The grey bsi is from good car black one is from one with remote keys can i put the black on into the car the grey one come from they seem to have all the same plugs thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

1000+ Posts

See Post #2. At the very least you will have to also swap engine ecu and key barrels if you insist on swapping the BSI - even if it is fully compatible!

You have stated more than once that your aim is to get a working remote on your good car. I believe you are complicating a simple procedure. In Pug remotes (eg. my son's 2004 307 and my 2000 406 - both of which have a BSI) the remote locking function is managed by a removable circuit held in the body of the key (lock/unlock buttons are soldered directly onto it). It is entirely separate to the immobiliser, which nestles at the top of the key blade.

This circuit board can be swapped from one key to another and the remote function can programmed without needing full key reprogramming.

A quick search found the following - this is a still from a Youtube clip that shows the procedure (using Lexia) for full key reprogramming. At the end, Lexia gives instructions for programming the "HF Remote Controls" - this procedure does not require Lexia, or a special code.

reprogram Citroen remote key button.jpg

Sorry this is so small - forum limits. Here is the link to the Youtube clip- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIVFSDQjHIA

Edit: OK - rereading your posts, I am guessing that the key

Edit: OK - rereading your posts I am guessing that your "good" car has a working key, but with no buttons - ie a spare key, not a PLIP key. In this case you should be able obtain a PLIP case, possibly with PLIP circuit, then transfer your good blade with immobiliser chip to the new case, then program the PLIP circuit.

If you buy some new parts, then you might still have a working key for the other car - might be useful one day... http://www.car-keys-online.com/produ...ey-6490a3.html

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 18th December 2018 at 05:11 PM.

1000+ Posts

A key case alone can be very cheap. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plip-Cit...LRx:rk:14:pf:0

The example I chose before was a bit on the pricey side. You still need to source a PLIP circuit board - maybe a wreckers, but maybe one of your spare cars could donate that bit, just leaving it with a manual key.

Alec

Tadpole

So can i just program that remote i have for the donor car to the good car (i didnt know you could just do that) the hard part is putting the 1 and only single key i have into the flip out holder.

Just don't attempt BSI swap without swapping the other items mentioned as the cluster also needs to go with the BSI otherwise highest km will overwrite any lower kms in either cluster or BSI. Also without Lexia you are bound to introduce or lose options that you can't reactivate.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

i swapped the computers under the bonnet they are metal ones one has a long connector the other has 3 smaller connectors they are on a frame together i also swapped the BSI and the ignition barrel the car did start i noticed that the low oil level warning was fixed when i turned on the key the electric seats did not work nor did the radio i tried the remote and it worked once after that never worked again maybe battery is flat not sure.

I didnt change the dash cluster tho - once i realized the stereo didnt work i went and got the one out of the same car all the bits come from plugged it in still would not work.\

In the fuse box (glove box) there is 2 small relays the one on the top was hot to touch after putting all the original parts back in the car everything worked again even went back to telling me low oil with this type of warning _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <---- flashing when i turn the key on.

Sorry if i dont explain thing the right way very new to these cars i have 3 c5's and trying to make one good one out of the 3.

Thanks again for all your help.

1000+ Posts

You are very gung ho - frightening!
    dmccurtayne likes this.

Wow great test of all the components.
    My thoughts on the oil level is that the 2 different types of BSI's are from different years maybe a 02 and a 04. As they have different oil level displays.
    My wife's Carlo5 has the display you mention above and is quite accurate and takes a few minutes to clear down. The 02 Red Devil only displays for a short period..so never noticed low or correct level

There will be a few subtle changes as you will have noticed which would need to be programmed in like ABS electric seats reverse sensors auto wipers and lights. But either BSI could be programmed for these functions.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information