Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By eddief
  • 1 Post By Jinandfonic
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By marc61
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: CX Alternative Spare Parts

Default CX Alternative Spare Parts

As we all know, some of the spares for CX are becoming increasingly hard to find (and often cost a fortune).

Advertisement

Based on my own, recent experience the following are already on that list (for my late CX25 GTi Turbo2):- crankshaft sensor, HT coils, fuel-regulator, spark-plug leads and (of course!) Michelin TRX tyres.

In my searches of the Internet, I came across a few suggestions for alternative parts. For example, there is a apparently a Ford component that can be used as a replacement for the crankshaft sensor (although it needs slight modification for mounting). Similarly, many of the fuel components are bog-standard Bosch as used on many other vehicles.

Of course, we don't need to be restricted to electrical/fuel items - I expect that there are perfectly acceptable alternatives for many other bits (like trim clips).

So would this thread be a useful place for us to record the alternative parts we've found..?
    Jinandfonic likes this.

This firm part matches seals, belts & bearings
    https://www.bsc.com.au/#/Content/2019
    Bruce H likes this.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

I can confirm that the Ford crank angle sensor part 6502253 fits and works. It is about 1.5mm shorter than the Citroen part - no need for a shim. But the bolt hole is in a slightly different place so an adapter needs to be made. Not hard at all. I have bought 2 from Darrin at Citroenclassics. They both work. They are not expensive when bought in the UK (try copping a shipping fee of 107 UKL to Sydney,yes 107, I declined). Hope this helps.
    RegarDS
    Lou

I'm going to add a couple more items now although I haven't yet had the chance to confirm they are 100% acceptable alternatives...

These are for a later GTi Turbo 2.

Coils - CX-Basis supplies Facet 9.6175 as an alternative for the original part. These are commonly used on Renaults but have a different connector (so you'll need to do a bit or wiring; CX-Basis supplies them with new connectors & capacitors). They are also smaller than the originals but still fit the bracket. My only reservation about these is they have a significantly lower resistance on the primary (low voltage) coil than the originals - 0.73 Ohm vs 1.25 Ohm. That means the resistive current jumps from 9.6 Amp to 16.4 Amp - quite a hefty leap & I'm not yet sure the components in the AEI are specified to handle it. I will take one apart at some point, find out what is used to switch the load & advise further. If it's something like the ubiquitous 2N3055 power transistor then this will be pushing it beyond its limits...

UPDATE
    The coil doesn't fit the original brackets (you'd need to hack them up quite a bit in fact). This is probably, why CX-Basis offers a bespoke bracket for them (wish I'd spotted that when I placed the original order...)

UPDATE
    I've established that the power transistors used aren't 2N3055 but a very rare (and obsolete) power transistor (possibly, Darlington-pair?) that Motorola produced (TEO2243). Modern equivalents are available but would still be rated at 15A which isn't enough for the newer coils plain & simple - unless there is a series resistor? (No idea, I have yet to strip one of the AEIs to find out how it's wired). Since I've now established my problems were due to tracking plugs (vs failed coils) I'll be reverting to higher resistance coils before I start my car again.
    Last edited by eddief; 21st December 2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: update

On all three of my Turbo 2s, the fuel pressure regulator is the original Bosch part 0280160216 (each one heavily corroded & generally looking on its last legs - just how many decades can a rubber diaphragm realistically last?) However, CX-Basis lists 0280160214 against the same item on its website (although they unfortunately, have no stock). I failed to find any alternatives for the ...216 but did find a cheap alternative to ...214 - Intermotor 16504 (under £30). When those arrive here, I'll take some side by side pictures & update this entry to share my findings.

Very happy with the alternative fuel-pressure regulator - an exact replacement for the one I had. I will check the pressure at some point to confirm it is within the limits of the original part.

Alternative map sensor for GTI turbo is available very cheap from China on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-BAR-MAP...edirect=mobile

Fitted one 6 months ago, all good 😀. It cured two symptoms: a nasty misfire when under load and an occasional complete engine cut out with tacho flicking to zero when under full load.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Thanks for the addition Marc61.

Just in case the original link stops working in future, these are the details:-

2 BAR MAP Sensor FOR GM RENAULT VOLVO OPEL VAUXHALL 12247571 16040609 16009886

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddief View Post
    Thanks for the addition Marc61.

Just in case the original link stops working in future, these are the details:-

2 BAR MAP Sensor FOR GM RENAULT VOLVO OPEL VAUXHALL 12247571 16040609 16009886
    What about oil pressure switches

You have to laugh ... my life is just like that show "roadkill"..... The shitbox rangie is still in a million bits ... and I haven't had a chance to even look at it in the last 3 weeks. Today, the oil pressure light comes on in the CX ( now there is something new ). My usual is to ignore most warnings as they are usually fix themselves pretty quickly (dodgy connectors etc).... but that little oil can glowing brightly ... THAT will make me pull over quicker than you can blink and shut her down. I climb out and see a rapidly growing puddle of oil under in... there is oil pouring down the back of the block............ Sigh, the oil pressure switch will be leaking.

I pull the dipstick ... still oil in there ... maybe we'll make it home ( my imagination playing videos of seized turbos and hammered big ends through my mind) as we frantically head back home. Yep, were down to the last car ... the Ugly pink ID19.... Oh, and look its started raining. The kids look far from impressed as I wipe the cobwebs away so they can climb in. A roof would be nice given its raining and cold I get to the end of our street and the windscreen wiper falls off the spindle drivers side ( I guess I've never used them before given I don't drive it in the rain) ... Oh well, I can just reach over the top and wipe that sucker down.

I wonder what is quicker, finding and fitting an oil pressure swtich .... fitting a roof (er, and re-fitting and tightening a wiper arm) or re-assembling a shitbox rangie.... The boss women is getting very frustrated with me for some reason (women are strange right ).

seeya,
    shane L.
    gerrypro likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    What about oil pressure switches

You have to laugh ... my life is just like that show "roadkill"..... The shitbox rangie is still in a million bits ... and I haven't had a chance to even look at it in the last 3 weeks. Today, the oil pressure light comes on in the CX ( now there is something new ). My usual is to ignore most warnings as they are usually fix themselves pretty quickly (dodgy connectors etc).... but that little oil can glowing brightly ... THAT will make me pull over quicker than you can blink and shut her down. I climb out and see a rapidly growing puddle of oil under in... there is oil pouring down the back of the block............ Sigh, the oil pressure switch will be leaking.

I pull the dipstick ... still oil in there ... maybe we'll make it home ( my imagination playing videos of seized turbos and hammered big ends through my mind) as we frantically head back home. Yep, were down to the last car ... the Ugly pink ID19.... Oh, and look its started raining. The kids look far from impressed as I wipe the cobwebs away so they can climb in. A roof would be nice given its raining and cold I get to the end of our street and the windscreen wiper falls off the spindle drivers side ( I guess I've never used them before given I don't drive it in the rain) ... Oh well, I can just reach over the top and wipe that sucker down.

I wonder what is quicker, finding and fitting an oil pressure swtich .... fitting a roof (er, and re-fitting and tightening a wiper arm) or re-assembling a shitbox rangie.... The boss women is getting very frustrated with me for some reason (women are strange right ).

seeya,
    shane L.
    OMG! Merry Christmas to you and Angie!
    I would replace the oil pressure switch it should be the quickest of your three options. Surely you have a spare on one of the cars?
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Shane,

You could just take it out and wind a bolt in instead, that’ll stop the oil leak and the light!
    Have done that on a D, M10 coarse thread, but it’s a bigger diameter on CX.
    JohnW likes this.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

I think I've found a new one in the junk in the shed... So I'll see if that fits soon

Oh no mention of the shiny blue ID19 .... that is also dead. A few weeks ago I pulled out of a supermarket it made a horrible noise ..... SO I shut it down and rolled into a service road.... I fired it up from under the bonnet and it was making really deep, heavy death knocks .... so I frantically ran for the ignition and shut it off..... Damn thing must have no oil in it........ No its full.... Hmmm.............. Maybe its not as bad as I thought So I hit the starter and the deep heavy knock is so bloody terrifying I leapt back inside to shut her down ..... and happened to push on the clutch ...... The noise changed dramatically .................................................. ................. OH CRAP ............. I shut it off. The flywheel or clutch must be loose and about to fall off. I bet the guy that restored the car years ago forgot to put loctite on the flywheel bolts I must say, boss women was most impressed "what are you going to drive now" ..... "It'll be fine, I'll just grab the trailer and bring it home"...... "Really, and what do you think you are going to tow the trailer with ?"............................................ Oh, boss women has a good point there...... hang up the phone .... call my father .... "Er, you don't have a tow car I can borrow" ....

SO its now a non-runner until I extract its gearbox as well.

so we have:

---shitbox range rover == 1 million bits
    --traction avant ... gearbox in bits
    --pink ID19 ... the only runner
    --blue ID19 ... needs gearbox extracted and clutch checked
    --red CX ... the prolific lhm AND engine oil leaker with no heater box fitted, needing track rods fitted .... and the steering centering setup

Maybe if I pump up my pushbikes tires it'll work for a few weeks for me

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 22nd December 2018 at 11:08 AM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Hey Shane when will you do the drainage pipes. next week on Tuesday ??
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hey Shane when will you do the drainage pipes. next week on Tuesday ??
    Jaahn
    Yes, family christmas is at our place this year. Boss women is slightly "frantic" and "agitated" She keeps making noises about cleaning up around the yard and cutting grass ... and cleaning the outdoor area. The word "cleaning" seems to be featuring a lot. "Cleaniing" isn't one of my strong suites

Oh, she's also bought a pool to put up for summer .... it's only a mere 30,000litres and an "estimated" time of one hour for assembly. Damn thing has been filling for 3days so far. I still need to setup the filter system for that ( that will be fine, given I know nothing about them, I can't get it wrong ... after all, how would I know if its wrong )

The answer is obvious ... I need another car that drives. A nice SM or 2cv would probably be perfect ....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Back on topic,
    i have a friend who needs a radiator for his CX2500 auto. I have a spare reconditioned 2400 one yet it is far too thick. I noticed a Mitsubishi Magna radiator was nearly the correct size apart from the inlet outlet positions. Anyone retro fitted another brands' successfully?
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    Back on topic,
    i have a friend who needs a radiator for his CX2500 auto. I have a spare reconditioned 2400 one yet it is far too thick. I noticed a Mitsubishi Magna radiator was nearly the correct size apart from the inlet outlet positions. Anyone retro fitted another brands' successfully?
    You can just reverse the mounts on the top and the radiator will fit. The proper copper/brass radiator is far supperior to the alloy throw away junk IMO

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Slightly off (my own) topic here but please forgive me because it is a historic moment...

For the first time ever, I managed to get all three of my Turbos to start & drive on the same day!

With that said, my 'donor' turbo dumped LHM all over the place (hence, one of the many reasons it is a donor). Shame because the brake pipe that failed was right next to a fairly decent Michelin tyre (now hosed off).

But I'm happy.

Tomorrow, I've got to get the GTi started so I can get it off blocks and move it down the barn (this is another donor which fortunately, shares many parts with the Turbo 2). It wasn't playing nicely earlier so I decided to put down my big hammer & walk away...

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Someone remind me why we do this??????

Thread Information