C4GP tyres - RE003 a bit much?
  • Register
  • Help

Default C4GP tyres - RE003 a bit much?

- just in terms of wasted potential on a working people-mover ...
    Anyone care to advise before I get 4 Turanza Serenity Plus TL for the same ( only affordable due to discount through Uber ) money? Ecopia EP300, same deal, appeal except it’s monsoonal here.
    Best I’ve had are HTR Z III which I was sold up to when there were no more $100 Sumitomos.

Advertisement
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 9th December 2018 at 05:50 PM.
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Of course put on the stickiest wet tyre possible, traction = safety = cheap insurance
    Have had the RE003's on a french fwd people mover before, not at the top of the tree for wet traction, bit pretty good though. However the wet understeer was quite noticeable compared to their dry performance
    Steering was nervous on centre and initial turn, a characteristic of all bridgestone tyres in my opinion
    took them off after <10k km because of the steering, insufficient wet and they were quickly showing signs of wear.
    For reference, am Very fussy about tyres - we have the HTR Z III, on a C5 and are very happy. Wet (heavy tropical) performance is impressive.

Thank you, much appreciated.
    Where is Sendai? It sounds steamy.
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 9th December 2018 at 10:12 PM.

1000+ Posts

An extremely wet place in 2011, but not steamy.

its hard to choose tyres. just had the same thing choosing for the C5.
    have a look at Pilot Sport 4 probably around $170-200 a corner i'd guess in your size, it your budget can stretch.
    Can be steamy in sendai in typhoon season but generally pretty pleasant.

1000+ Posts

It would help to know the size.

My impressions of the RE003 vary a bit from the above.

Agree that they are very crisp in response. For me, that's a plus.

Agree that they are not class leading in wet grip but they are still in the first rank and have the considerable merit of being very benign in their limit behaviour.

I have them fitted to a daughter's and my wife's Foresters (215/60-16). I have an exploratory fang to set the cars up & am especially interested in wet handling balance. In this application, understeer is not an issue but partly this is a function of me engaging in tyre-pressure tuning of the front-rear balance. Note that different tyre types vary in the front-rear pressure balance that suits them best.

I think that you'd be happy with the RE003 but there might be better options - size please.

cheers! Peter

Thanks Peter.
    I've been reading your recent posts with interest, but rather than testing the limits on a familiale-type chassis, I suspect I need constraint because I already can't drive slow enough.
    It is 215/50-17 (95W); unimpressed by assorted Goodyears like on it when purchased i was pleased with Sumitomo TourPlus LSV @ $100 and since those ran out, even more by their HTR ZIII for $110. I expect I can still get them.
    Due for an industry-grade roadworthy I may be buying 4 tyres this week - with present deals Potenza Turanza or Ecopia become almost affordable ... so the question is does one of those offer 25% more of something I need without compromising anything else too much?
    Passenger survivability being paramount where hazards are abundant, not easy to avoid and usually quite serious, speed is not an issue.
    Steven
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 10th December 2018 at 05:17 AM.

1000+ Posts

Key criteria of appraisal should then be wet braking, wet lateral grip & transient behaviour in the wet.

Best tyre in your size is the PilotSport 4. Next is the Conti PremiumContact6 & then the RE003 Potenza. There is a good second rank but, given the RE003 deal, I can't see why one would fit them.

Given the deal, I'd get the RE003. Inferior to the PS4 & PC6 but still bloody good.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information