• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Armidillo
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 3 Post By pynhead

Thread: RIP Daffy Duck

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Default RIP Daffy Duck

For those who have not heard, it is with great sadness I announce that Wally Escherick (a/k/a Daffy Duck) passed away suddenly after suffering a heart attack on Friday. He was way to young to go. He will be sorely missed.

Advertisement
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

1000+ Posts

Very sad news - I know he will be missed by people all over the world. The work that he and Hotrodelectric did salvaging cars from Area 52 was beyond amazing. This thread serves as a fitting obituary:

Area 52

With great respect

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 5th December 2018 at 03:50 PM.
    Kenfuego likes this.

mnm

Very sorry to hear that... condolences to his family.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    For those who have not heard, it is with great sadness I announce that Wally Escherick (a/k/a Daffy Duck) passed away suddenly after suffering a heart attack on Friday. He was way to young to go. He will be sorely missed.
    Terribly sad news, Wally was a great contributor here, always with a wry sense of humour. . .
    Condolences to family, friends and the wider Citroen community he touched.

RIP Wally doing the Daffy Dance

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

COL

That is very sad news, RIP my friend.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

RIP Wally
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger!

And the sadness reaches the UK too. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading Daffy's posts and, as someone as already said, that Area 52 adventure sticks in the mind. From a Citroen-perspective at the very least - a life well-lived. Condolences to his family and other loved ones.
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

True, sympathy to family. What of HRE? I hope I haven't missed anything there.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

JBN

Sorry to hear about Daffy Duck and condolences to his family.
    At least my bush 2CV bears his AussieFrogs name of Daffy Duck, so the name lives on in Citroen circles.

John
    alhantos likes this.

1000+ Posts

My sympathy to all that knew Wally, his reports as Daffy Duck were closely followed over many years. I would have loved to meet him personally, sad for his family. RIP

Ken

A few years ago I had the pleasure of attending the SoCal AGM - under a tree near the LA Zoo. Wally was there and went out of his way to show me a few things. A true Citoeniste, whose wry messages and efforts will be sadly missed. Also at hat meeting were Rod, Andy, Steve, and Bill (Bill how are you?) and afew others. All great fellas, extremely welcoming to this aussie layabout. To them and Wally's family I offer my deep condolences. Thanks Wally. RIP.
    Bet Wally and Andre are having a chinwag.....
    Lou

Fellow Frogger!

There are special people who are passionate about Citroens and he was one who did a lot for the cause - - - in a humorous and wonderful way. He gave us joy, all over the world and so it is with sadness that I read the news. He has given inspiration to many.

John.

A little on my experience with Wally....

My relationship with Wally started kinda rocky as i'm guessing many of us similarly experienced.

I had just found two NOS citroŽn carbs on ebay being sold as a pair. $250. It seemed too good to be true so I reached out to Wally to check out the listing to confirm i was getting what was advertised. Next thing i know they were GONE and he was the buyer. When i called him to ask what he was doing - he suggested that he had to take it down before anyone else figured it out....it was indeed two brand new - never used Weber carbs.

I let him know that i expected to get one of them and was ready to buy them myself he assured me that it was all going to be ok. A rocky start which was quickly dispelled when we spent our first afternoon together installing it in my DS. What a crazy f&$%er this guy was!

A year ago he loaned me one of his most beloved possessions (his Citroen Mehari) and asked for me to just keep it as long as i'd like to use it. "Just take care of it...i can't drive it anymore" which i did (with great enthusiasm) for 6 months or so. All he really wanted to do was share his passion for Citroen with his So Cal clients and the greater enthusiast community. Unfortunately what he was required to do was try to find a way to deal with an incessant nerve damage issue.

... his decline was heartbreaking to witness. In spite of it all...somehow he'd find the time to check in...or make himself available to answer a question while i was working through a project on my DS.

His constant pain and being frustrated by his inability to do what he loved most must have greatly contributed to his untimely end. He carried around a lot of anger in the last few years about the lack of acumen being applied to his disability by his doctors/health care options...it often made it a challenge to stay connected to him - but his genuine concern for his friends shined through the blur he was trying to manage.

You could not help but love the guy.

It's a tragic situation...what he had to go through with so much pain and disappointment over the past 5 years. He was a definite character and a valuable member of our community.

We'll miss Wally.

dsbreak2.jpg
    Kenfuego, jaahn and JohnW like this.
    Pynhead
    Tumblr Instagram
    Los Angeles
    1969 Citroen DS21

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Thanks for letting us all know John.

What sad news. He was a great contributor, no doubt in more ways than I know. Who could forget that great salvage operation - just waiting for the next episode was exciting.

Condolences to his family and friends.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information