My "new" CX coupla things to be sorted - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: My "new" CX coupla things to be sorted

1000+ Posts

CX,brilliant car but as with most citroens it looks like they built the car then someone remembered it needed wiring so they threw a mess in;to get the battery out requires removing countless wires. Finally got sick of it and had the front under bonnet rewired NEATLY;battery out in a few minutes now.

Advertisement
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    CX,brilliant car but as with most citroens it looks like they built the car then someone remembered it needed wiring so they threw a mess in;to get the battery out requires removing countless wires. Finally got sick of it and had the front under bonnet rewired NEATLY;battery out in a few minutes now.
    Photos please!!

Mine isn't so bad now that the AC pipes don't go over the top of the battery....
    tinfoilstar likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The alternator is a Bosch, don't know what amperage (?!). When I get the car home I'll whip it out then give it to a contact who works in a garage servicing older cars.They have someone who re'does alternators. Could be a burnt diode for all I know, cooked by being so close to the exhaust. A shield of some sort maybe required.
    Andy, I agree that the car is brilliant and I intend tidying up the front lhs loom. maybe even placing the battery in the boot as done by another Frogger.
    JohnW, while I'd like to post photos - I am an internet luddite. No idea on how to re-megapixelise the photos to fit. I have searched the AF website for clues. Am I missing something?
    Possible cause of clunky gear selection - I select a gear then have to wait a second or 2 before accelerating, if not there is a noticeable clunk. Gearbox (auto 3HP22) seems to have enough fluid.
    Are all series 1 headlights interchangeable? Same for the front blinkers?
    Thanks to all of your replies.
    RegarDS
    (I have a rusting DS in my yard)
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Loudel View Post
    ... JohnW, while I'd like to post photos - I am an internet luddite. No idea on how to re-megapixelise the photos to fit. I have searched the AF website for clues. Am I missing something?...
    To reduce the file-size of a photo, try opening it in Paint (assuming you have Windows). Then you can use the 'resize' option (ctrl+W). Select to resize by percentage (not pixels) - something like 40% then save as a JPG/JPEG file. If required, repeat with a larger reduction until you get an image of the required size.

Only CX25 headlights will fit a 25, they have a different mounting point at the top of the headlight not on 2200 or 2400 lights. If I recall correctly, although earlier indicator units will fit, they used different coloured lenses (possibly a different manufacturer, and possibly different bulb holders - anyone know?) in the 25's.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Do you know what caused this car to be put up for sale? Sounds to me as though gearbox problems may have been the cause. A weak engine or gearbox mount had enough effect on linkages to make it difficult to select/ stay in a gear when I had my ZF auto, but it wouldn't make a clunk.
    UFO likes this.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

I used to just load the photos going through the "Go Advanced" and "Manage Attachments" menus and the system used to set them down to the right size. That doesn't seem to work today although I did it for years!

I've twice built head shields that bolt directly to the alternator. Both fractured and fell off, so the Mk3 will be much heavier and steel not aluminium!

Since you do have a Bosch alternator, do check carefully its clearance from radiator hoses. Our C-Matic has AC, which moves the radiator, and the hoses, back 20 mm or so. It was just touching one hose right at the belt-tightening bracket.

Good luck. Lovely cars....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

UFO

Is it the engine and gearbox moving on mounts that makes the "clunk" as Bruce infers above? Can you get someone to change gears while you have the bonnet open and watching?
    JohnW likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Only CX25 headlights will fit a 25, they have a different mounting point at the top of the headlight not on 2200 or 2400 lights. If I recall correctly, although earlier indicator units will fit, they used different coloured lenses (possibly a different manufacturer, and possibly different bulb holders - anyone know?) in the 25's.
    When i bought mine the first owner had fitted headlights out of a turbo cx;like daylight. The truckies even flash me on low beam until i show them the high.

Don't know about the engine mounts condition - will check later today with the help of the garage bloke. The car has 84,500km or 184? or 284? Probably 184. Remarkably rust free, only a few spots on the lower lh front door.
    The alternator bracket sits against the radiator hose. There is a thick rubber sleeve over the end of the bracket.
    Will take a few pics later today and attempt to post 'in due course'.
    RegarDS
    Lou

If the engine mounts are not the cause of the auto clunking, could it be Dexron III fluid having been used for too long.? I don't know if this would cause delay in pickup of the gear or similar lack of immediate gear change.? Try draining and refilling with Trans Max or Penrite Classic ATF perhaps.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Quote Originally Posted by Loudel View Post
    Don't know about the engine mounts condition - will check later today with the help of the garage bloke. The car has 84,500km or 184? or 284? Probably 184. Remarkably rust free, only a few spots on the lower lh front door.
    The alternator bracket sits against the radiator hose. There is a thick rubber sleeve over the end of the bracket.
    Will take a few pics later today and attempt to post 'in due course'. RegarDS Lou
    Good they recognised the problem before the hose wore through. I made up a composite hose using a 90 degree bend in aluminium tube to get 15 mm clearance approximately. There's plenty of scope for worn out mounts for that gear selection issue....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Eight years later... how is this going? Cx fine I hope? Im learning from ur experience, and have in the meantime figured out a few things u ask. Once one tries something, the logic kicks in. Im now onto the electrics. Note zero training in cars or electrics. This is going to be fun.

20181217_115052.jpg
    First attempt at uploading a photo.......
    If it didn't work- what did I do wrong?
    Lou20181217_115052.jpg

The thing restricted me to about 100kb (?) so partial success but my god how can anyone see anything?
    The car is now at my house and when time permits I'll have a better look. drove well from the garage, gearchange not as 'disturbing' as anticipated. Brakes not p to usual Citroen standard possible due to rusty discs. To do: oil change, gearbox fluid change x several times, coolant change, alternator replacement. trace LHM leak exiting LHS under front crossmember. Clean carpet (it is a mess).
    Plus more in due course.
    regards
    Lou

There's an octopus just near the lower front LHS. It's a small one and relatively easy to change and breaks where a short pipe goes into a joint. If I recall you access it through the hole where the driveshaft comes out or somewhere in there. The new one I fitted has a reinforced joint exactly where the old one broke.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thanks John, when time is available I'll be giving it a good squizz. Cleaned the inside, fitted seat covers, sorted the stuck driver's seat - it now adjusts up/down. And can confirm that the top engine mount is shot. Engine runs very nicely. I have little time to spend on the car so my posts may be few and far. HP pump has about 25 seconds between cycles.
    MX to all.
    Lou

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information