C5 x7
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C5 x7

Default C5 x7

Hi Froggers,
    I've been looking at the C5 X7s for quite some time, and almost every one I see in used car sales Aust. are Diesels.

I've never seen a petrol V6 in the X7, just wondering if they ever made one, and also wondering if they have similar issues to that of earlier models, like struts punching through bonnets, air con flap motor shaft problems etc.
    I have seen a report where a strut went through a bonnet in a C6 , much to my horror!

I'm very happy still with my current 2004 C5 V6 petrol engine, just thinking about maybe some update in the future.
    Maybe the SX would be best because it's virtually the same vehicle but updated slightly, and still a hatch.

Advertisement

Cheers... George 1/8th.

1000+ Posts

I'd choose one of the diesels any day, preferably a 4 cylinder. There are 6 cyl petrol powered cars, and also a 1.6 THP.

I have never heard of a strut going upward. The mounting is pretty solid. Many C5s have steel springs mounted at the same place instead of hydraulics. The heater flap is similar though. On the whole the X7 is the far superior better built version of the C5.

Fellow Frogger

If you want a hatch, you have to stay with the older series. You can fairly easily find a facelift petrol V6 with 6 speed auto in the older range. It is a very much under-rated model, overshadowed by the more common HDi. Or you move to a wagon aka Tourer in the X7 range. No hatch once again, but also consider the Pug 508 with the same mechanicals.

As far as I am aware only one Petrol V6 X7 was sold here and that was because Ateco imported it for evaluation and then went with an all diesel lineup for launch. It's a silver grey car and was in NSW.

The C6 strut failure being mentioned was apparently due to heavy corrosion of a retainer ring under the top strut mounting. It rotted and let go. It's unlikely we would see such a problem here as we don't have the corrosion problems. from what I read about it, there are improved struts in later V6 and then X7 C5 with a larger ring.

the x7 petrol v6 wasn't part of the australian market line-up.
    but they are common in other markets, and great to drive. perky engine, not the most powerful but nice enough.
    however the V6 diesel is way way way better than the petrol v6. limited lag from the turbos and once on boost, above 1600 rpm, the power delivery is just linear, it just keeps pulling and gaining speed. Overtaking at highway speeds is truly staggering; - better than a V8.

the v6 petrol is perhaps quicker off the line, but on the road it doesn't really shine until its over 4000 rpm, even then it just doesn't match the v6 diesel. then there is the fuel consumption. V6 diesel - 5 -6 highway, 8.5 around town. v6 petrol - 8+ highway and 16+ around town.

both the v6s are best for places where there are high speed highways (usually tollways).

X7 is just so lovely to drive, pushing it along almost seems pointless. So the 2.0 (or maybe 2.2 diesel [never driven]) are more than adequate for our restricted AU roads, in my opinion. That said, i still love both the v6's. its always nice to have an abundance of power in reserve.

Either of the diesels suits the character of the car perfectly. Am sure you'd be very happy with an X7.

1000+ Posts

I must buy a lottery ticket. I have seen that V6 petrol.

CC1701 is spot on. The diesels just propel themselves along quietly with minimum driver effort.

indeed they do.
    our petrol V6 is nowhere near as nice to drive as the v6 diesel.
    the diesel just glides along effortlessly and only needs minimal throttle input, while the gear box stays in its gear.
    the petrol on the other hand needs to driven. Need to pay attention to revs, throttle and speed. We pretty much always have the transmission in sport mode. Its not a chore to drive at all, but needs a lot more interaction than the diesel.
    Its still a fantastic car, just the diesel is so much more effortless to drive. Gotta just love that endless wave of torque.

The V6 diesel drives great but high mileage ownership of the petrol would be a cheaper option

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    The V6 diesel drives great but high mileage ownership of the petrol would be a cheaper option
    Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on why
    my experience is that our petrol v6 drinks more than twice the fuel of the v6 diesel and they are almost exactly the same car.
    so am wondering where the petrol version would be cheaper option. Is there something in the future i need to be prepared for?

The price of fuel is not the only cost of ownership so you hit 150k and you start to get issues injector return pipes ,injector seals ( hope the injectors come out without failing) then the top cooling housing fails then the pipe that attaches to it starts leaking then the outlet housing near the alternator breaks then the alternator clutch fails then it starts cranking slowly so you replace the battery but itís the starter (and hope youíve got a good mechanic like me lol that doesnít miss diagnose it as a pump or something crazy) thatís assuming nothing abnormal fails. I must admit the 3.0 is better but we havenít seen the volume of these and most donít do the ks of the 2.7 donít get me wrong when these first came out I was a fan but there is a reason there is so many for sale cheap even a 407 wagon on here and the petrols do have issues but the cost of these to repair is crazy even being able to repair myself I would touch one. The best C5 is the 163Hp RHH minor issues but normally wonít leave you stuck on the highway touch wood .

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Ps I am a mechanic not just an owner with a lemon

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

oh dear!
    the only good news, for us, is that 150k is a long way away on the 3.0 diesel, probably 5+ years. Then it will be time to turn it over, i guess (read hope) before the problems set in.
    as for the v6 petrol, it does even less klicks and its not economical to keep it on the road after its 10 years old. Its got so few klicks on it anyway. It was a cheap x7 anyway, that we only use as an occasional car.

Thanks for the heads up. Will keep all this in mind as it ages

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    Ps I am a mechanic not just an owner with a lemon
    Hi dmccurtayne
    For my interest, do you have knowledge if the same issues afflict the V6 diesels in the 'other brands' which use them, Ford and Landrover !
    Some people on another forum say they have had a good run out of them towing humungeous caravans. Not sure if I should believe that It may be the first Landrover since the last war to be reliable
    Jaahn

Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

[QUOTE=dmccurtayne;1593962] The best C5 is the 163Hp RHH minor issues but normally wonít leave you stuck on the highway touch wood .

Hooray! That's mine!

And yes, so far so good
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi dmccurtayne
    For my interest, do you have knowledge if the same issues afflict the V6 diesels in the 'other brands' which use them, Ford and Landrover !
    Some people on another forum say they have had a good run out of them towing humungeous caravans. Not sure if I should believe that It may be the first Landrover since the last war to be reliable
    Jaahn
    Only know of some turbo issues with the territory I try to stay away from that other garbage but the jags did have the same coolant problems and injectors getting stuck.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Fellow Frogger

RHR or RHH are relatively bulletproof options. RHR (now at least 8 years old) has an EGR valve to fail and the common vacuum hose snapped Y-piece. RHH had some early issues with the air mixer valve.

Most modern diesel engines can have the failing alternator one-way pulley. You can buy just the pulley, although not from Citroen, and should replace a bad one promptly as it will prematurely ruin the belt and tensioner.

Both have good economy and performance (RHH more then RHR) and are easier/cheaper to maintain relative to the V6. You don't have a large and expensive battery in the boot and the starter and other parts are simpler to get at. You wouldn't notice the difference most of the time, but the 2.7 and 3.0 are certainly more refined cars to drive, especially under load.

The 2.7 had a few cooling system issues in all applications and you have to expect the pasltic thermostat/outlet tank to have a fairly short life because it splits at the seams (thankyou Ford) and an o-ring on the water outlet down the front doesn't hold up well either. For the Jaguar 2.7, you can buy these parts in cast aluminium as an aftermarket upgrade, but unfortunately I don't think so for the PSA applications.

Early on there were issues for Jag and LR re a wiring tag being caught in the oil filter housing and there is a fuel temp sensor that often weeps and is part of the injector return harness. The injector return leakage is likely Eolys crusting on the little O-rings. You can buy this and some other parts from Ford and/or Jaguar. I recall being told the Range-Rover version was quite good at blowing turbos, but it's likely to be more stressed than in the PSA applications.

1000+ Posts

There are some RHH differences between Ford and PSA applications. Ford puts 3 driven devices onto the accessories belt, and the turbo arrangement is quite different.

I'd like to show some pics, but neither images nor attachments are being accepted.

1000+ Posts

Fake news.jpg

Can attach but not insert.

Boer/WW1/WW2/Korea or Afganistan
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Thread Information