Citroen CX Gti 1983 dashboard click
  • Register
  • Help

Default Citroen CX Gti 1983 dashboard click

Hi
    I'm looking for a solution to a click that is coming from the dashboard of my CX.

It only happens when the car is moving and it speeds up, and slows down, with the increased/decreased speed of the car.

The trip meter looks like it's stuck so I suspect it is coming from that? I'm not sure if the odometer is also stuck.

What do you think?
    How do I fix it?
    Do I need any parts to repair it?

Please advise.

Advertisement

Cheers
    Herby

Herby,

Resetting the trip meter even if it is reading 0 often gets it going again. If the odo is stuck too that is more of a problem. Is your speedo reading OK?

Cheers, Ken

The speedo is reading ok.

The trip meter in a Gti is reset by a knob under the dash display isn't it? Mine doesn't seem to have that knob but there is a hole where I think it should be so resetting the trip meter is a problem for me. Mybe the knob has snapped off?
    Not sure if I can get a screw driver in there or I should take the dash apart?

As I said I'm not sure if the odometer is also jammed or it is just trip meter, I'll have to take it for a drive soon and see.

Herby

Hi Herby,

Noisy speedo cable? Try adjusting the angle at which it enters the firewall and see if the noise gets louder / quieter.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

I just took the CX for a drive.

The speedo works but both the odometer and the trip meter are jammed.

Thanks Andrew I'll try adjusting the angle of the speedo cable as you suggest.

Any other suggestions?

Sorry,

Easy suggestions already given. I think you are looking at getting the speedo out to internally inspect, clean lube etc and repair of the trip meter reset knob.

Cheers, Ken

Thread Information