What is the >?*&^% name for those c5 Kumho tyres again?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What is the >?*&^% name for those c5 Kumho tyres again?

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default What is the >?*&^% name for those c5 Kumho tyres again?

I know, I know, there is a million threads about kumho tyres for c5. But still am unable to find the name of the tyres that are around $150-160, there are now about ten different names for Kumhos. Which one is the prefered one for 245/45/18 C5 X7?
    Thanks

Advertisement
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

I have forgotten too - perhaps Ecsta.

I fitted some Dunlop SP Sport FM800 to my C5 (225/55 R17) at a comparable price, and they are doing the job as well as the Michelins.

UFO

These are the ones I've run on ours for some time now. I'd like to know if you get them for the price you're guesstimating!

https://www.kumho.com.au/tyres/passenger/ecsta-ku27/
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I'm talking with the guy now, let you know when I have a reply

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Well it took him a while, but no , no kumhos at $ 160 anymore, bottom price here in qld is $225.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Well it took him a while, but no , no kumhos at $ 160 anymore, bottom price here in qld is $225.
    The tyre spec youíre after looks like a performance tyre and $160 sounds unrealistic to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    UFO likes this.

1000+ Posts

The Dunlops can be got for less than $200. They are well reviewed, and drive well on the C5.

Same guy can get me Toyos for 205$ . what you guys think of them?

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    The tyre spec you’re after looks like a performance tyre and $160 sounds unrealistic to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I only got this $160 price from another thread here, but can't find it now. They ewere talking about $160 kumhos which were great , so tried everywhere, but the guys are saying there are no kumhos at $160.....That's all I know

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

Same guy can get me Toyos for 205$ . what you guys think of them?
    Itís become quite fashionable to dump on Dunlop.........take advantage of it.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    It’s become quite fashionable to dump on Dunlop.........take advantage of it.

Do you mean, it's a good price for Toyos? I don't get what you mean with dumping on Dunlop?

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

Do you mean, it's a good price for Toyos? I don't get what you mean with dumping on Dunlop?
    Iím suggesting that itís common to hear derisive comments about Dunlop tyres which is pretty much rubbish.
    There are no Ďbadí tyres these days ......not like the bad old local rubbish used to be.
    Itís a bit like the look of a car, choose what you like for a good price.
    Toyo, Dunlop etc are all good.

1000+ Posts

Dunlop today is a division of Goodyear, and the tyres come from their factories. The FM800 comes from Thailand, according to the lettering on the tyre wall. Review here- http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Du...port-FM800.htm

I have run Toyos for many years, always satisfied, but not on the C5. The Dunlop seems quieter, and was quite a bit cheaper.
    Last edited by seasink; 23rd November 2018 at 05:52 PM.

Majestic Solus, fitted 6 months ago. Haven't shredded yet.$700 fitted from memory.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

1000+ Posts

Actually, there are bad tyres on sale if one has wet grip (laterally & under braking) & limit behaviour as criteria of appraisal.

Browse at this site.

Tyres by Brand - Tyre Reviews

What is irrational, I submit, is to fit a merely passable tyre type (on whatever criteria of appraisal are of importance to you) if something demonstrably superior is available for a similar or still acceptable price.

Some tyre brands do very little well but most tyre brands have strengths & weaknesses & the pattern of these is not the same across their range. Below I recommend a Michelin & a Continental & each tyre is splendid across the board but eespecially good in the wet but each company also produces tyres of very mediocre wet grip (XM2 & CC5 respectively for instance).

Using your size & the very useful (for price comparisons) Jax site, I'd suggest the following two tyres for consideration. They are currently class leaders on any performance criteria you care to name & until the end of November have a "cash back" price deal which should be attractive.

http://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/siz...5r18?limit=100

The tyres are Michelin's PilotSport 4 & Continental's PremiumContact6, In this case, my choice would be the Michelin (see the tests on the Tyre Reviews site) but each is ahead of anything else in its class.

There are other good tyres available but nothing better &, with one exception, I can't see why one would bother fitting them (especially given the Michelin & Continental current deal). The exception?

A step down but still a very good tyre indeed & withan even better deal is Bridgestone's Potenza RE003.

There are six Kumho types available but each is inferior to these 3 (notably in wet grip) as is any Toyo or Dunlop (except the RT2 which would cost more for no gain).

So, for 200 each get the PS4 or PC6 or save about 25 bucks each & get the RE003.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 24th November 2018 at 02:25 AM.
    cjl, harrisson_citroen and antonio like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Actually, there are bad tyres on sale if one has wet grip (laterally & under braking) & limit behaviour as criteria of appraisal.

Browse at this site.

Tyres by Brand - Tyre Reviews

What is irrational, I submit, is to fit a merely passable tyre type (on whatever criteria of appraisal are of importance to you) if something demonstrably superior is available for a similar or still acceptable price.

Some tyre brands do very little well but most tyre brands have strengths & weaknesses & the pattern of these is not the same across their range. Below I recommend a Michelin & a Continental & each tyre is splendid across the board but eespecially good in the wet but each company also produces tyres of very mediocre wet grip (XM2 & CC5 respectively for instance).

Using your size & the very useful (for price comparisons) Jax site, I'd suggest the following two tyres for consideration. They are currently class leaders on any performance criteria you care to name & until the end of November have a "cash back" price deal which should be attractive.

http://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/siz...5r18?limit=100

The tyres are Michelin's PilotSport 4 & Continental's PremiumContact6, In this case, my choice would be the Michelin (see the tests on the Tyre Reviews site) but each is ahead of anything else in its class.

There are other good tyres available but nothing better &, with one exception, I can't see why one would bother fitting them (especially given the Michelin & Continental current deal). The exception?

A step down but still a very good tyre indeed & withan even better deal is Bridgestone's Potenza RE003.

There are six Kumho types available but each is inferior to these 3 (notably in wet grip) as is any Toyo or Dunlop (except the RT2 which would cost more for no gain).

So, for 200 each get the PS4 or PC6 or save about 25 bucks each & get the RE003.

cheers! Peter
    Excellent. Very informative, thanks guys for your posts.
    Michelin PS 4 it is then, booked in!
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 24th November 2018 at 10:52 AM.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Well, wow, am I glad Peter came on the scene with that jax link and his advice!
    I now have two michies pilot sport 4 on the front of the c5, for the same price as anything else really. And whilst I know that whenever you fit new tyres, you generally feel good, I have to say these are phenomenal, and really deserve those reviews. The handling on those fast and numerous roundabouts of the sunshine motorway is brilliant, and yet comfort and silence are excellent.
    No doubt michelin still goes hand in hand with hydractive 3.

Only thing I'm a bit confused about is that JAX brought up the pressures to 38psi, seems extremely high to me, yet it hasn't diminished the comfort at all!
    Thanks for the advice Peter.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 24th November 2018 at 06:50 PM.
    antonio likes this.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

What size do you use? I can't find the Michelins on the Jax site for my C5.

They're 245/45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4

https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/si...5r18?limit=100

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

Well, wow, am I glad Peter came on the scene with that jax link and his advice!
    I now have two michies pilot sport 4 on the front of the c5, for the same price as anything else really. And whilst I know that whenever you fit new tyres, you generally feel good, I have to say these are phenomenal, and really deserve those reviews. The handling on those fast and numerous roundabouts of the sunshine motorway is brilliant, and yet comfort and silence are excellent.
    No doubt michelin still goes hand in hand with hydractive 3.

Only thing I'm a bit confused about is that JAX brought up the pressures to 38psi, seems extremely high to me, yet it hasn't diminished the comfort at all!
    Thanks for the advice Peter.

I assume that if you have fitted just two tyres, then you haven't been rotating (my recommendation is an X-pattern rotation). You now have two new tyres at the front & two probably inferior & older tyres at the rear.

I suggest than you consider getting to the point of having 4 tyres of similar type & age as soon as practicable by putting the older ones on the front & chopping them out. (More could be said on this debatable matter but that will do for now.)

On pressures: what is the Citroen recommendation? And: did you mean 38 psi all round?

I very much doubt that Hydractive 3 suspension was at all a consideration in the development of the PS4.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 25th November 2018 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    I assume that if you have fitted just two tyres, then you haven't been rotating (my recommendation is an X-pattern rotation). You now have two new tyres at the front & two probably inferior & older tyres at the rear.

I suggest than you consider getting to the point of having 4 tyres of similar type & age as soon as practicable by putting the older ones on the front & chopping them out. (More could be said on this debatable matter but that will do for now.)

On pressures: what is the Citroen recommendation? And: did you mean 38 psi all round?

I very much doubt that Hydractive 3 suspension was at all a consideration in the development of the PS4.

cheers! Peter
    Yes, good thinking, but it's Christmas soon, and there are budget restrictions in place. The potenzas at the rear are still very good, it's the ones at the front that were chewed up. So this'll have to do for now, even though it's not ideal

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

Yes, good thinking, but it's Christmas soon, and there are budget restrictions in place. The potenzas at the rear are still very good, it's the ones at the front that were chewed up. So this'll have to do for now, even though it's not ideal

I think that you misunderstand me. My suggestion is simply that you swap wheels front to rear so that the old Potenzas are at the front, not the rear.

cheers! Peter
    antonio likes this.

Thanks Peter,
    Ok, well that would kind of challenge my years of belief that the better tyres should be with the driving wheels, ie at the front in a C5.......
    Also after experiencing the qualities of the Pilot Sport4, such as cornering, braking and silence at the front, I don't think I would bring myself to putting them at the back, and Potenzas at the front, which are a lot more boring....

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

Below is something I wrote for another thread some time ago. It goes beyond the immediate topic but might be of interest anyway.

A few things (not exhaustively):

First, distinguish various elements in the situation.

One element is front/rear handling balance. Having different tyre types at each end can affect this. Distinguish dry & wet roads &, within the latter, streaming wet or standing water from merely slick.

Dry:
    Tyres are somewhere on a spectrum from sloppy response to crisp response. This is a function of two variables: tyre structure & tread element stability. The former is to some extent able to be compensated for by tyre pressure changes but the latter only changes with wear (increasingly stable). So, fit tyres of different types to each end & the handling balance will change (for the technically minded, this is all a matter of relative slip angles). If one knows what one is about then this can be used to advantage. Plough understeer? Try a relatively crisper front. Wayward tail? Try a relatively crisper rear. If one doesn't know the tyres' relative crispness, then fit the same type front & rear & sort out the handling balance by playing with front/rear pressures. (Note that these might profitably change when one shifts from 4 type X tyres to 4 type Y tyres if one wishes to preserve handling balance - roughly, four crisp tyres will be tailier than four sloppy tyres - explanation on demand).

Wet:
    The above story about slip angles applies in the wet as well but two factors are particularly salient in wet cornering - tread pattern & tread compound. In streaming wet or standing water conditions then the efficiency of the main tread channels to clear water so that tread elements are in contact with the surface (& not riding above it on a wedge of water - aquaplaning) is of particular importance. But even in the absence of aquaplaning, tyres differ in how well they grip a wet surface. This is a matter of compound & siping. Say one has 4 tyres of the same type but two are more worn & older. Of course tread depth will be less but aquaplaning is a rare problem on Australian roads at Australian speeds & one might think that on merely slick roads, such tyres might be equal. Probably not. Many sipes are not full depth & thus a partly worn tyre has less than when new. Also, the compound has become less effective in the wet for various reasons. So, in our most common wet conditions, it's not tread depth so much as compound change & sipe loss that is the problem with older tyres.

Of course it's best to change all 4 tyres at once & of course that is facilitated by rotating one's tyres but if just changing a pair, then I'd eliminate slip angle variables by staying with the same tyre type (Unless the current type is total crap - a matter I'll return to.)

So there will be two older & two newer tyres. Which end to put the new ones? It depends.

For the above stated reasons, the new tyres will be grippier in the wet but not as crisp in the dry as the old ones. One can, if one knows what one is doing, deploy these differences to serve the cause of how one wants the car to behave.

The usual industry advice (new at rear) is pitched at average drivers & their behaviour in various cornering scenarios. If a corner is gone around too fast, the average reaction is to lift off. If the incipient slide is a front end one, then that action is (in virtue of weight transfer) correct. If the incipient slide is a rear end one then (unless it's a simple rear wheel drive power slide) lifting off will exacerbate the problem. All of this is worse in the wet. So, when fitting new tyres to such a driver's vehicle, put them at the rear.

So far, this is just about cornering behaviour. What of braking & traction under acceleration? Traction obviously depends on which end is driven. As for braking, it is true that most braking is done by the front & that grip lost there means no steering. With ABS vehicles, grip will be but transiently lost & steering will be maintained but, with increased cycling of the ABS, stopping distances will still be longer. So, a case from braking in the wet for new at the front.

So far, my inclination for the average driver is to recommend new at rear on event frequency grounds (cornering problems more than braking ones) especially for ABS vehicles. This judgement is reinforced by one other argument.

Most cars wear their front tyres out before the rears. Put the old ones on the front to chop them out in the cause of getting a more closely matched set ASAP. This argument has extra force if the old tyres are a crap type & a process of improvement is in train. Better, though, is to junk the crap tyres.

cheers! Peter
    CXVingtCinq, antonio and JohnW like this.

Thanks Peter. Very informative.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information