New (second hand) C5 Exclusive today
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New (second hand) C5 Exclusive today

Default New (second hand) C5 Exclusive today

Maybe my original 2009 C5 Comfort was my best C5, but the 2015 C5 Exclusive I bought today comes close. It lacks the dipping L mirror from what I can see, but the SatNav is a bonus. My 2011 C5 Comfort was a shock for how much leaner the specification had become in just two years.

Trading the 7 year old one with a few scratches for this new one with a few stone chips in the paint got me on the highway for under $15k. The equivalent Mercedes I didn't want was only $50k more.

Each car has felt very different but are very much the same. I think the 55 tyres on the 17" rims would be my preference for comfort. The new tyres are Kumho 45/245 and pretty good. I think it is quieter.

Of course I was going south east from Ballarat to Melbourne but the tacho had the needle a little above 2k rpm whereas on the way up in my 2011 car it was a little under that for a slightly higher speed. The new car has a sunroof, which I had missed from the first car, so it must be a heavier car.

Advertisement

I've been looking for a later model exclusive with a sunroof and the pale interior for months and finally found one, literally one, in Ballarat. I hope to keep this car going as long as possible. I tried a late model Mercedes, in fact the very latest C200, but too many controls and menus and reports and warnings. I use some old film cameras and what they have over the latest gear is analog controls and no menus. I like the car to be the same. I did like the head up display for navigation and speed in the Mercedes though.

I will have to accept a modern car eventually, but riding on air in a Citroen for the next several years will suit me fine. It's black, not my first preference, but it's rapidly growing on me - a classic Citroen colour, and with the beige interior and the chrome Exclusive window accents it looks very elegant.
    Last edited by Tristesse; 14th October 2018 at 12:39 AM.

JBN

A 2CV would be the equivalent to the very early removable plate cameras. At a NSW Citroen Car Club outing to the Settler's Arms at St Alban just north of Wiseman's Ferry to celebrate the 70th year of the 2CV, one of the cars on the way back inexplicably stopped. Fuel appeared to be the problem. None getting to the carby. No leaks around the fuel pump. The fuel tank had been topped up so there should be plenty. Fortunately, someone had a 10 litre jerry can full of petrol. Poured it into the tank only to notice it was leaking from the perished rubber hose connecting the nylon fuel line to the pickup in the fuel gauge sender. A phone call to Jason suggested detaching the fuel line and placing it direct into the jerry can (which had just enough fuel to get the car to the nearest servo).

Simple cars.....simple solutions.

John

UFO

Congrats on your purchase.

Remember the dipping reverse mirror only works on the side that the mirror selection switch is on AND that you have set and saved the dip position. Save by setting the position then M and your chosen number 1 or 2. That also sets your seat position, aircon settings and blood type. ;-)
    Motorgnome and DanielBendigo like this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks Craig. I vaguely remember that about the mirrors. Tried it just now but it didn't work. It wasn't specced on my 2011 Comfort but I expected it to be here in the recent Exclusive. Still not sure. Doesn't seem to be in the current manual. What are the steps? Be in R, dip the mirror. Press memory. Those steps didn't work. Not a deal breaker, but pity if it is no longer available as I found it to be a very nice touch on my first C5.

As to the ride, I think I will have to ditch these 245/45/18 Kumho's and go back to Michelins.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    A 2CV would be the equivalent to the very early removable plate cameras. At a NSW Citroen Car Club outing to the Settler's Arms at St Alban just north of Wiseman's Ferry to celebrate the 70th year of the 2CV, one of the cars on the way back inexplicably stopped. Fuel appeared to be the problem. None getting to the carby. No leaks around the fuel pump. The fuel tank had been topped up so there should be plenty. Fortunately, someone had a 10 litre jerry can full of petrol. Poured it into the tank only to notice it was leaking from the perished rubber hose connecting the nylon fuel line to the pickup in the fuel gauge sender. A phone call to Jason suggested detaching the fuel line and placing it direct into the jerry can (which had just enough fuel to get the car to the nearest servo).

Simple cars.....simple solutions.

John
    Great story John. Hope your Xantia is still keeping you busy...

Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Congrats on your purchase.

Remember the dipping reverse mirror only works on the side that the mirror selection switch is on AND that you have set and saved the dip position. Save by setting the position then M and your chosen number 1 or 2. That also sets your seat position, aircon settings and blood type. ;-)
    They've done away with this on the later models. The Fwench sites often mention it and all agree it was a stupid idea to delete that function
    Boyracer likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Quote Originally Posted by Tristesse View Post
    Thanks Craig. I vaguely remember that about the mirrors. Tried it just now but it didn't work. It wasn't specced on my 2011 Comfort but I expected it to be here in the recent Exclusive. Still not sure. Doesn't seem to be in the current manual. What are the steps? Be in R, dip the mirror. Press memory. Those steps didn't work. Not a deal breaker, but pity if it is no longer available as I found it to be a very nice touch on my first C5.

As to the ride, I think I will have to ditch these 245/45/18 Kumho's and go back to Michelins.
    I'm happy to buy your spare in the boot if still new, as I have one but cannot get a similar one here. Then you can put the money towards getting a new set of 5 if you are replacing the khumos....
    as a matter of fact if anyone wants to sell their original michelin spare...
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 15th October 2018 at 09:51 AM.

harrison_citroen may be correct for the deletion on the later X7 - the procedure is to select reverse/ dip mirror to desired position/ press M followed by 1 (or 2 depending on who is driving) you should get a confirmation beep. Make sure you also have your seat and climate set to your preference.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    harrison_citroen IS correct for the deletion on the later X7
    Fixed it for you, Chris

Fellow Frogger!

Assuming two people share the car, each with different seat position, I assume this option is not practical?

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Fixed it for you, Chris
    Shame. it's a feature I use every day backing out to an inclined driveway from a level garage - you actually see the driveway rather than the sky.

Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    Assuming two people share the car, each with different seat position, I assume this option is not practical?
    There are two memory positions possible. . . The second driver would press 2 to select their preference.

Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

So if you use M1 and M2 for each driver, how do you then store mirror tilted and not tilted?

So if you use M1 and M2 for each driver, how do you then store mirror tilted and not tilted?
    M1 will store mirror/seat/climate preferences = driver 1
    M2 will store mirror/seat/climate preferences = driver 2

Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

UFO

The car stores your chosen position for reverse mirror position and it can be set for both left hand and right hand mirrors - although the mirror that dips depends on if you have the mirror selector switch set to left, middle or right.

Also the mirror selection switch, when in the middle, can be used to fold the mirrors in when squeezing into tight parking spots.

Some may not know that the XM also had a reverse mirror memory position. Only worked for the left mirror (in RHD cars) and of course only one dipped position was available as there wasn't seat memory in XMs.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

One week in and I like the car. Had a few curious problems. The dipping mirror loss I'm over. Just have to manage.

Today the main problem is the outside ear temperature reading is many degrees lower than actual. It reads something and tends to drop a degree after a bit of driving. Online this looks like a common problem in Series 1 and 2 C5s and other PSA cars. My sensor is on the driver's side mirror... RHD in Australia of course.

Late in the week it started telling me that the oil level reading is invalid. The oil level is correct.

Occasionally after driving for a bit it will tell me that there is fault in the tyre pressure sensing function. It then serially tells me about each tyre pressure sensor being lost. All of today it's been fine. Made me wonder whether the battery might be on the way out but I suspect not. I will take it to my mechanic to check out a few things.

1000+ Posts

In a nutshell, the oil level sensor in these diesels is completely unreliable.

Mine was twice replaced under warranty and still has a mind of its own. A week of false warnings, and then a long period of truth. I now ignore it.

The tyre sensors have a battery built-in, and a radio transmitter whose signal (ID and pressure) is detected near each of the wheel hubs. The computer can get confused for a while if you swap wheels around

I have those Kumhos on my C5 18" wheels and I don't have any complaint. Mind you I don't drive like an 18yo round Tassie's twisty bits. The road noise depends on the coarseness of the road which has become pretty crap around here in the last 2 years. The 1" metal spec. must be a Tas. Gov't money saving initiative.
    Don
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Thanks Don. I think I will live with them. I think it might be the 45mm aspect compared to the 55 of the 17 inch wheels. I am indeed driving more sedately. I let the pressure down a little but no difference. Occasionally a rutted surface is very jarring, more than on my previous car. On the highway at 110kmph it's very smooth.

As to the temperature sensor, I washed the car this morning. Now it is working fine. May have been water....

Raining cats and dogs in Melbourne for the Melbourne Cup. The Exclusive is certainly a lot quieter than the Comfort on a wet road, with less splashing noise from underneath. Hard to believe that's just the laminated side glass which I do notice really makes a significant difference to noise in the cabin. I cannot hear my electronic sliding gate from inside the car anymore. Came to a couple of deep puddles in inner Melbourne so put the car up to the first high position. Occasionally the radio screen illumination is interrupted and sometimes the sound. Haven't experimented with the difference between radio and CD. Sometimes wonder if a bump has disturbed the CD. The tyre pressure fault keeps being announced. I'll take it to have all that turned off. Otherwise, loving the car.

Default C5 x7

Raining cats and dogs in Melbourne for the Melbourne Cup. The Exclusive is certainly a lot quieter than the Comfort on a wet road, with less splashing noise from underneath. Hard to believe that's just the laminated side glass which I do notice really makes a significant difference to noise in the cabin. I cannot hear my electronic sliding gate from inside the car anymore. Came to a couple of deep puddles in inner Melbourne so put the car up to the first high position. Occasionally the radio screen illumination is interrupted and sometimes the sound. Haven't experimented with the difference between radio and CD. Sometimes wonder if a bump has disturbed the CD. The tyre pressure fault keeps being announced. I'll take it to have all that turned off. Otherwise, loving the car.
    I don't know why the radio makers bothered with AM frequency. I occasionally wish to listen to 774. Can hardly pick it up in St Kilda Road or anywhere in the Melb. metropolitan area for that matter. In my 2009 Comfort I could pick it up halfway to Hobart (from Devonport). With the coarse tarmac upgrades in Tasmania these times you can barely hear the radio anyway.

As you have commented, the vehicle is much quieter than earlier models.
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Fellow Frogger!

I assume you are aware that you need to have the mirror remote control in the left position to operate automatically on selecting reverse. Took me a while to twig to it.

Regards

agd123
    UFO likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    I don't know why the radio makers bothered with AM frequency. I occasionally wish to listen to 774. Can hardly pick it up in St Kilda Road or anywhere in the Melb. metropolitan area for that matter. In my 2009 Comfort I could pick it up halfway to Hobart (from Devonport). With the coarse tarmac upgrades in Tasmania these times you can barely hear the radio anyway.

As you have commented, the vehicle is much quieter than earlier models.
    Has it got one of those little tiny dick aerials?

Drive to nearest quality car sound system store. Unscrew tiny dick aerial from car. Take into shop. Tell them you want a decent aerial that has the same thread. They'll probably say "oh, a Euro car aerial".

Pay and return to car and screw on new aerial.

All will be much better.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default radio reception

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Has it got one of those little tiny dick aerials?

Drive to nearest quality car sound system store. Unscrew tiny dick aerial from car. Take into shop. Tell them you want a decent aerial that has the same thread. They'll probably say "oh, a Euro car aerial".

Pay and return to car and screw on new aerial.

All will be much better.
    Thanks Craig, I will give that a try. Thought it may be a radio problem given that both vehicles had the same minuscule aerial. I will report back given that other respondentsi in a later model Exclusive. may wish to dial into 774 from distances greater than 500 metres from the transmitter,
    Don
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    Thanks Craig, I will give that a try. Thought it may be a radio problem given that both vehicles had the same minuscule aerial. I will report back given that other respondentsi in a later model Exclusive. may wish to dial into 774 from distances greater than 500 metres from the transmitter,
    Don
    The tiny dick aerials are only good for metro reception. In our early days of ownership we would lose Sydney ABC Classic FM (92.9) before we even got to the southern end of the F6. Replace the aerial and I would get it all the way to Wollongong easily - at which point I rotate the right hub roller to get the preset Illawarra Frequency (95.7). We rarely listen to daggy old AM.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information