New (second hand) C5 Exclusive today
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Tristesse
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: New (second hand) C5 Exclusive today

  1. #1
    Member Tristesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    77

    Default New (second hand) C5 Exclusive today

    Maybe my original 2009 C5 Comfort was my best C5, but the 2015 C5 Exclusive I bought today comes close. It lacks the dipping L mirror from what I can see, but the SatNav is a bonus. My 2011 C5 Comfort was a shock for how much leaner the specification had become in just two years.

    Trading the 7 year old one with a few scratches for this new one with a few stone chips in the paint got me on the highway for under $15k. The equivalent Mercedes I didn't want was only $50k more.

    Each car has felt very different but are very much the same. I think the 55 tyres on the 17" rims would be my preference for comfort. The new tyres are Kumho 45/245 and pretty good. I think it is quieter.

    Of course I was going south east from Ballarat to Melbourne but the tacho had the needle a little above 2k rpm whereas on the way up in my 2011 car it was a little under that for a slightly higher speed. The new car has a sunroof, which I had missed from the first car, so it must be a heavier car.

    I've been looking for a later model exclusive with a sunroof and the pale interior for months and finally found one, literally one, in Ballarat. I hope to keep this car going as long as possible. I tried a late model Mercedes, in fact the very latest C200, but too many controls and menus and reports and warnings. I use some old film cameras and what they have over the latest gear is analog controls and no menus. I like the car to be the same. I did like the head up display for navigation and speed in the Mercedes though.

    I will have to accept a modern car eventually, but riding on air in a Citroen for the next several years will suit me fine. It's black, not my first preference, but it's rapidly growing on me - a classic Citroen colour, and with the beige interior and the chrome Exclusive window accents it looks very elegant.

    Advertisement
    Last edited by Tristesse; 14th October 2018 at 12:39 AM.
    GreenBlood, Ken W, Bruce H and 1 others like this.

  2. #2
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,754

    Default

    A 2CV would be the equivalent to the very early removable plate cameras. At a NSW Citroen Car Club outing to the Settler's Arms at St Alban just north of Wiseman's Ferry to celebrate the 70th year of the 2CV, one of the cars on the way back inexplicably stopped. Fuel appeared to be the problem. None getting to the carby. No leaks around the fuel pump. The fuel tank had been topped up so there should be plenty. Fortunately, someone had a 10 litre jerry can full of petrol. Poured it into the tank only to notice it was leaking from the perished rubber hose connecting the nylon fuel line to the pickup in the fuel gauge sender. A phone call to Jason suggested detaching the fuel line and placing it direct into the jerry can (which had just enough fuel to get the car to the nearest servo).

    Simple cars.....simple solutions.

    John

  3. #3
    UFO
    UFO is offline
    Citroën Tragic UFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gerringong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    9,426

    Default

    Congrats on your purchase.

    Remember the dipping reverse mirror only works on the side that the mirror selection switch is on AND that you have set and saved the dip position. Save by setting the position then M and your chosen number 1 or 2. That also sets your seat position, aircon settings and blood type. ;-)
    Motorgnome likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

  4. #4
    Member Tristesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Thanks Craig. I vaguely remember that about the mirrors. Tried it just now but it didn't work. It wasn't specced on my 2011 Comfort but I expected it to be here in the recent Exclusive. Still not sure. Doesn't seem to be in the current manual. What are the steps? Be in R, dip the mirror. Press memory. Those steps didn't work. Not a deal breaker, but pity if it is no longer available as I found it to be a very nice touch on my first C5.

    As to the ride, I think I will have to ditch these 245/45/18 Kumho's and go back to Michelins.

  5. #5
    Member Tristesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    A 2CV would be the equivalent to the very early removable plate cameras. At a NSW Citroen Car Club outing to the Settler's Arms at St Alban just north of Wiseman's Ferry to celebrate the 70th year of the 2CV, one of the cars on the way back inexplicably stopped. Fuel appeared to be the problem. None getting to the carby. No leaks around the fuel pump. The fuel tank had been topped up so there should be plenty. Fortunately, someone had a 10 litre jerry can full of petrol. Poured it into the tank only to notice it was leaking from the perished rubber hose connecting the nylon fuel line to the pickup in the fuel gauge sender. A phone call to Jason suggested detaching the fuel line and placing it direct into the jerry can (which had just enough fuel to get the car to the nearest servo).

    Simple cars.....simple solutions.

    John
    Great story John. Hope your Xantia is still keeping you busy...

  6. #6
    Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Congrats on your purchase.

    Remember the dipping reverse mirror only works on the side that the mirror selection switch is on AND that you have set and saved the dip position. Save by setting the position then M and your chosen number 1 or 2. That also sets your seat position, aircon settings and blood type. ;-)
    They've done away with this on the later models. The Fwench sites often mention it and all agree it was a stupid idea to delete that function
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

  7. #7
    Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristesse View Post
    Thanks Craig. I vaguely remember that about the mirrors. Tried it just now but it didn't work. It wasn't specced on my 2011 Comfort but I expected it to be here in the recent Exclusive. Still not sure. Doesn't seem to be in the current manual. What are the steps? Be in R, dip the mirror. Press memory. Those steps didn't work. Not a deal breaker, but pity if it is no longer available as I found it to be a very nice touch on my first C5.

    As to the ride, I think I will have to ditch these 245/45/18 Kumho's and go back to Michelins.
    I'm happy to buy your spare in the boot if still new, as I have one but cannot get a similar one here. Then you can put the money towards getting a new set of 5 if you are replacing the khumos....
    as a matter of fact if anyone wants to sell their original michelin spare...
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; Yesterday at 09:51 AM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

  8. #8
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristesse View Post
    Thanks Craig. I vaguely remember that about the mirrors. Tried it just now but it didn't work. It wasn't specced on my 2011 Comfort but I expected it to be here in the recent Exclusive. Still not sure. Doesn't seem to be in the current manual. What are the steps? Be in R, dip the mirror. Press memory. Those steps didn't work. Not a deal breaker, but pity if it is no longer available as I found it to be a very nice touch on my first C5.

    As to the ride, I think I will have to ditch these 245/45/18 Kumho's and go back to Michelins.
    harrison_citroen may be correct for the deletion on the later X7 - the procedure is to select reverse/ dip mirror to desired position/ press M followed by 1 (or 2 depending on who is driving) you should get a confirmation beep. Make sure you also have your seat and climate set to your preference.

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  9. #9
    Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    harrison_citroen IS correct for the deletion on the later X7
    Fixed it for you, Chris
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    World's largest coal port
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Assuming two people share the car, each with different seat position, I assume this option is not practical?

  11. #11
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,034

    Icon12

    Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Fixed it for you, Chris
    Shame. it's a feature I use every day backing out to an inclined driveway from a level garage - you actually see the driveway rather than the sky.

    Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  12. #12
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    Assuming two people share the car, each with different seat position, I assume this option is not practical?
    There are two memory positions possible. . . The second driver would press 2 to select their preference.

    Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    World's largest coal port
    Posts
    340

    Default

    So if you use M1 and M2 for each driver, how do you then store mirror tilted and not tilted?

  14. #14
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    So if you use M1 and M2 for each driver, how do you then store mirror tilted and not tilted?
    M1 will store mirror/seat/climate preferences = driver 1
    M2 will store mirror/seat/climate preferences = driver 2

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  15. #15
    UFO
    UFO is offline
    Citroën Tragic UFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gerringong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    9,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    So if you use M1 and M2 for each driver, how do you then store mirror tilted and not tilted?
    The car stores your chosen position for reverse mirror position and it can be set for both left hand and right hand mirrors - although the mirror that dips depends on if you have the mirror selector switch set to left, middle or right.

    Also the mirror selection switch, when in the middle, can be used to fold the mirrors in when squeezing into tight parking spots.

    Some may not know that the XM also had a reverse mirror memory position. Only worked for the left mirror (in RHD cars) and of course only one dipped position was available as there wasn't seat memory in XMs.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •