• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David Williams

Thread: David Williams

Tadpole

Default David Williams

Hello All,
    Anyone have an idea where I can buy/steal /beg a hand brake cable for a 1974 DS19. Mine broke!!

Advertisement
    badabec likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Try Denton Christie in Sydney or the UK-based Citroen Classics website. They have them at GBP68.85. Plus, of course, postage. So you’ll be looking at not far short of a couple of hundred dollars....

1000+ Posts

Sounds like a one-off;no such car as a 1974DS19.

Fellow Frogger!

I think the conclusion reached was that this was a 1974 model year D Special - possibly manufactured in late 73 and so wrongly registered as a 73.

The D Super came from the ID20, whereas the ID 19 lived on in the form of the D Special (under-bonnet plates for Specials still stated 'ID19'). So, technically, it could be regarded as a '19' derivative - but it will confuse people.
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Hey Budge my DSpecial has DS then serie FD on it. which makes it a DS and not an ID! 74 model. : )

some people hate that fact.

1000+ Posts

Hi David
    It is possible to make up a new cable using marine SS rigging wire and marine fittings swaged on with correct tools. I am not familiar with your cable so take this as general information. They have a selection of end fitting which may be able to be used.
    Recently I made up a clutch cable for my son-n-laws Mitsibishi van as the original is unobtainable now. The local marine dealer will have the stuff. You reuse the outer and grease it with some molly grease. Cost us about $8 I think but only had an eye each end. I have a crimper but they usually will crimp them for you as they custom make sailing boat rigging on the spot. Just be careful on the length and double check it.
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi David
    It is possible to make up a new cable using marine SS rigging wire and marine fittings swaged on with correct tools. I am not familiar with your cable so take this as general information. They have a selection of end fitting which may be able to be used.
    Recently I made up a clutch cable for my son-n-laws Mitsibishi van as the original is unobtainable now. The local marine dealer will have the stuff. You reuse the outer and grease it with some molly grease. Cost us about $8 I think but only had an eye each end. I have a crimper but they usually will crimp them for you as they custom make sailing boat rigging on the spot. Just be careful on the length and double check it.
    Jaahn
    Agree. You can make your own. However, whilst not as cheap as making your own Flexdrive will make one up to your specifications / sample.
    If nothing similar in Qld to Flexdrive , may I suggest you ring them and send it down to them.
    I got them to make my accelerator cable for the automatic D.

Fellow Frogger

See: https://www.franzose.de/en/Citroen-D...andbremsseile/
    Not exactly expensive, but check the part numbers to get the right one for the car in question.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi David
    Jaahn
    Having a hand brake cable on my DS21 break it was taken to a firm that made cables. Before you take it from the store check it against the original! We didn't and found it was a fraction TOO short and couldn't be connected!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Thread Information