• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: Slight surging feel ’68 Safari

Fellow Frogger!

Default Slight surging feel ’68 Safari

Slight surging feel ’68 Safari

Thinking of taking our newly registered ’68 ID19F Safari to Malmsbury “Show and Shine” tomorrow, Saturday 12th Oct.

Advertisement

Because our car is only now seriously up and running I don’t know the car well.
    There is, what seems a slight surging under load. I thought I was only imagining it but just now I went up a slight grade in 1st and thought I definitely felt it. A slight rer-rer-rer feel. It is similar when there is a bulge in a tyre. At speed it is only very slightly there.
    I have checked tyres but as I was going up the slight hill just now it definitely felt more than a tyre bulge.
    It happens at about the same rate as when you see the ignition light pulsating in some cars. The ignition light does not waver in this car.

I just pushed the car in neutral on smooth concrete and - - silent.
    I have checked that the drive shafts are loose but no.

Any ideas, John

Have you checked basic things such as idle mixture adjustment? Air leaks in vacuum lines, induction system, etc. I assume that the advance curves for the distributor are correct?
    I assume that points and condenser are good?
    Cheers Gerry

Engine mounts. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    UFO and gerrypro like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

I'll check engine mounts.

It has a 123 electronic ignition. I'll look into the carbi and vacuum leaks. It went well to Malmsbury car show today and tomorrow morning I'll take it to Ballarat Cars & coffee.

I had the car jacked up with the wheels off the ground. Drew quite a crowd.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slight surging feel ’68 Safari-malmsbury-1-2018.jpg   Slight surging feel ’68 Safari-malmsbury-2-2018.jpg  

Perhaps all it needs is a few good long runs to blow the cobwebs out!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Perhaps all it needs is a few good long runs to blow the cobwebs out!
    Yes Gerry, left here at about 1/4 to 6 to get to the Ballarat Cars & Coffee by 6.30 or so. Already a few cars there but got a free coffee as I was part of the 1st 25 cars or so. It was a blast to drive the wagon at dawn. I was thinking as I drove how clever the switch from parkers to low beam is as I put low beam on when cars came closer on these country roads after the sun had kind of come up. It never ceases to amaze me how good these D's are.
    What I like about the cars & coffees is that there is no big fanfare, no big money - - just the passion for cars and being around them.
    I probably went through the motions of "jacking" the car up - - then on props (Safaris have for two ) and letting the wheels lift off - - probably 4 - 6 times sometimes letting kids work the height lever - - - never failing to draw a crowd. There was a lovely original '52 or so twin spinner Ford looking like it just came off the boat from the US. Many older cars so a good time. Then had a hot dog at the Dean dog trials where there were steam traction engines - - - big, big and caught up with with a friend with a traction and gave him a drive of the wagon - - just to let him feel what he's missing out on.
    The car is a dream, John

That traction is now in pieces and will end up driving very, very well. Then it will be a toss up as to which is better to drive!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

On the 123 distributor, there is a rotary dip switch under a screw plug and you need to select the correct curve for the car. The one I fitted to a 23IE recently came set to 0, so needed to be set correctly. Was this set correctly?
    Even a warped or unevenly surfaced brake disc, say after a layup left a rusty spot, could give you a shudder.

Thread Information