• Register
  • Help
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By GreenBlood
  • 2 Post By Armidillo
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By Don B. Cilly
  • 2 Post By gilberthenry

Thread: DS23 IE DÉCAPOTABLE Record sale. . .

Icon2 DS23 IE DÉCAPOTABLE Record sale. . .

1973 Citroën DS23 IE Décapotable
    Coachwork by Henri Chapron
    Chassis no. DSFG 00FG0041
    •The first of a mere three DS23 IE cars built by Chapron for 1973
    •One of only four such examples with the top of the range 2.3-litre IE (fuel injected) engine

Sale price AU$ 689,565

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24956/lot/27/

Cheers
    Chris

Advertisement
    gsowner84, bleudanube and pynhead like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Eye-watering price... Some people have FAAARR too much money.

Still, if I had the wherewithal I'd probably be tempted......... Just an amazing piece of machinery, and sooooo beautiful.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

UFO

DS23ie BVH.

Drop a spanner - kiss it goodbye.

BUT - OMG, what a car to own.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

pumpin pistons Batman! Single headlight earlier versions nicer so god knows what one of those would fetch now.

1000+ Posts

Yes, but for that much money I would have thought you'd get a decent set of non-peeling stickers under the bonnet!
    UFO and CXVingtCinq like this.

Fellow Frogger

Price includes 15% buyer's premium plus VAT on that amount of 20%. So that accounts for 18% of the total price.
    It came with a hood frame, but no hood. Vendor allowed 5,000Euro towards that.
    Someone has to pick a fault in it. Headlight buckets Harrison? How about the spare tyre?

Something odd with the forum reply function at the moment. . . ?

Pick fault? Gosh where to start, things that offend my eyes - the use of slotted screws on the front bumper and bonnet release - missing bolts that secure the headlight buckets both sides. . . I could go on (really) but the fitting of a cheap retro tyre as a spare agahhhhhhh!

Nice car, very rare but probably commanding a significant premium for it's pedigree (1 of 3 in this spec).

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Price includes 15% buyer's premium plus VAT on that amount of 20%. So that accounts for 18% of the total price.
    It came with a hood frame, but no hood. Vendor allowed 5,000Euro towards that.
    Someone has to pick a fault in it. Headlight buckets Harrison? How about the spare tyre?
    Thanks for asking David. No actually I'm happy with the colour of the headlight buckets. I reckon they look like they used to when I was a kid. Unlike the crappy yellowish hue most of the Aussie cars are now displaying.
    Having said that I am not so sure that the driving lights below, even though they are Marshalls used to wear the emblem in the 70's on that model. This looks to me like a much later driving light. How do I know? When the "behind glass" driving lights came out with the 23 , I was 21, and absolutely in love with them. No one had made a mass produced car like that before.....

DS23 IE DÉCAPOTABLE Record sale. . .-maxresdefault.jpg More like this.
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 11th October 2018 at 05:47 PM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by harrison_citroen
    Unlike the crappy yellowish hue most of the Aussie cars are now displaying. . . .

. . .more like this
    ?????

Just pulling your chain Phillipe

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    ?????

Just pulling your chain Phillipe

Cheers
    Chris
    No, this is just a lovely Gris Rose, in my eyes........
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 12th October 2018 at 07:37 AM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Hello, sorry, I just don't like the decapotables.

There, I said it.

Peter
    GreenBlood likes this.

Fellow Frogger

As a convertible, how much scuttle shake / torsional rigidity do they have?

I wonder if SAAB 900 convertibles will ever approach these dizzy heights? The SAAB roof is much better to look at than the DS setup and the front/rear balance looks better to my eye. And you get all of that for the cost of a few correct tyres for the DS.

Quote Originally Posted by David S
    As a convertible, how much scuttle shake / torsional rigidity do they have?
    Something most of us will never need to worry about or experience, there is an interesting snip on the Italian 'ideesse' forum stating that the original Usine cabriolets were built on a specific chassis, not sedan or break and reinforced for the cabriolet. I hope they don't mind me quoting (google translation). . .

Quote Originally Posted by Martini ideesse
    It is also worth remembering (once more) that the chassis on which the Usine Cabriolet were fitted (and not!) Were SPECIFIC. They were not sedan frames, let alone Break, but special reinforced chassis made specifically to be set up as Cabriolet, which Citroën gave to Chapron both for its creations and for the fitting of the Usine Cabriolets (or those sold by the official network).

Curious then that this photo is made on the basis of a 23 Confort (one of the very first, for more) and not Pallas (as indeed that of '78 to which Marietto refers), while it is more normal that it does not have the second point of jack of the jack, present on the chassis made for the cabrio but obviously absent on the converted sedans.
    http://forum.ideesse.it/smf/index.php?topic=17687.0

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

- 300 grand? No problem! We'll have it for you in the morning. Let's go, Elwood.
    - No, no! I will not take your filthy stolen money!
    - Let's make it 425 grand, then.
    - Oh, all right then.
    UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, sorry, I just don't like the decapotables.

There, I said it.

Peter
    Agree. They look like a bag of shit with the rag top up......
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

I just remembered Citrohello's resto Chris posted on AF on the décapotable last year, really interesting to see them tackling the body and doors, but it just dropped off the site postings. Pity. That was a beautiful car. I saw a hard top Chapron at the 2005 Paris DS anniversary and it was incredible, they'd be worth even more than a softy.

Fellow Frogger!

All interesting, the carry-on about convertibles. I like them very much but of course all the DS variations are wonderful cars. The cabriolet is just one of them.
    I’ve just registered our second ’68 Safari after many years of mucking about and the excitement of driving a “new addition” is as intense as it has ever been.
    Michael just sold his French 1960 ID for $20,000 so it’s nice that the appreciation for the D model is still high. I’ve been helping him with a ’64 Slough ID while Janet is up in Brisbane driving our ’74 D Special. Michael now has the funds to get the Slough ID up and running and maybe start on his ’64 Safari. So he will enjoy the Slough ID as much as the French one although the tale of the journey of the French car will always make it interesting.
    Luckily there are many on this Froggy forum who enjoy the D’s and haven’t sold them to enjoy the later cars. They are all totally wonderful, and I’m glad of this forum that helps us keep these icons on the road of which one, out of many, happens to be a Cabriolet. When we owned one, we had to contend with the downsides of all convertibles and sports cars - - - wind, rain and cold.
    I would like to think that us “Froggies” have these cars mainly to drive and not just something to look at, and drive they do, in all shapes and some sizes. I can say that I enjoy driving all D’s as much as the convertible we had. Recently Michael was asked which car that he owns is his favourite, which he answered - - “ I suppose its the one that I’m driving at that time.
    We can all drool at a particular car but aren’t we lucky to be able to enjoy any D model Citroen which is as good as - - - any cabriolet.

John
    CXVingtCinq and gsowner84 like this.

Fellow Frogger!

I was interested that the Bonham's item said the car was 'mechanically overhauled' by Olivier Houiller this year. I don't think he advertises himself as a DS restorer here in the UK. I'd love to know what he did/ didn't do. For the price paid you (I) would expect a fully documented restoration and rebuild. The Olivier I knew down in Kent was a nice guy - but he wasn't a restorer. He wasn't running a workshop. He sourced cars from France and sold them on - ideally unmolested. He focused on the most desirables: 67s, 68s, 69s. Air France seat belts, Continental Edison radios - that kind of thing. He turned up some great looking cars.
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Like my DSuper5 in Delta Blue!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information