Xantia Hydractive Hydraulic Pressure Regulator woes
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By agd123

Thread: Xantia Hydractive Hydraulic Pressure Regulator woes

Tadpole

Default Xantia Hydractive Hydraulic Pressure Regulator woes

The Hydraulic Pressure regulator on my 20 year old 98 Xantia hydractive hatchback has started hemorrhaging Lhm rather determinedly. My attempts to find replacement parts are meeting with "they don't make parts for those cars any longer" ....which is a bit of a worry.
    I am hoping someone may be able to point me in the direction of someone who carries or refurbishes such units. I'm not keen to head for a wrecker as I believe the problem can relate to a seal which tends to leak on the unit so I would prefer one that has been reconditioned rather than to chance something from a wrecker which has to have had at least 20+ years of service as mine was bought at the end of production.
    Any help or advice would be very much appreciated as I really don't wish to retire the Xantia which is still running beautifully, and there are not many cars that can match it's ride quality despite it's age.

Advertisement

Try Peter Raffles at Pleiades in Gayndah (07 41262502) in Queensland. He may be able to recondition your unit or one you get from a wrecker. I bought one from Martin Bray in South Australia a few years ago as the one in the back of my Activa was very lazy.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger

You can obtain all of the seals for the pressure regulator and also the pipe seals. Earlier Xantias with a flow divider will likely use a different regulator compared to the unit used with the 6+2 pumps used on later versions. The flow divider needed some extra plumbing to and from the pressure regulator, so there are variations if buying a used unit for rebuild. There was also a change from the all rubber large pipe seals to the bonded steel/rubber type that were found on the C5.

You need to work out which parts you actually need. On an old Xantia, the most common cause of a big leak is a low pressure return hose and the regulator return will leak a lot. They do become very brittle with age.

Are you sure the accumulator sphere isn't dead flat? It might cause a temporary overpressure that shows as leakage.

The seal kit sold for the DS gives you the correct seals, but you should still be able to buy them individually from Citroen from the BX parts listing. There are only 3 required. You can change the side seal and release screw in situ, but the top seal for the threaded plug means you have to dismantle it and that involves removing a snap ring and probably drilling a small hole to get that out.

If you have the bonded rubber/steel seals on the regulator, you may be chasing one that looks like item#4 here:
    Xantia  Hydractive Hydraulic Pressure Regulator woes-c5_pipe_seals.jpg

Tadpole

Thanks Ken. I have had an initial contact with Martin Bray, I'll try again next Monday when I have investigated the problem further.
    Regards, Ken (too)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    On an old Xantia, the most common cause of a big leak is a low pressure return hose and the regulator return will leak a lot. They do become very brittle with age.
    Thanks David for your tip, It was in fact the end of the low pressure hose which had hardened to the point where it no longer sealed despite being clamped.
    A quick shortening of the hose and a new stainless steel clamp has stopped the leak and all is well again. With Heka seemingly gone, I now have to find someone in Melbourne's outer eastern suburbs who recharges the spheres. I'm happy to receive recommendations for a good Citroen person who does such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    ... I now have to find someone in Melbourne's outer eastern suburbs who recharges the spheres. I'm happy to receive recommendations for a good Citroen person who does such things.
    Warbler - CCCV will recharge a sphere (Nth Ringwood) for $25, only catch is you need to be a member
    Last edited by sparkey; 14th October 2018 at 07:14 PM.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

if you get hold of a dremmel you can cut the joining case for hoses open and then remove the horrible hose and then put a new correct or close diameter hose on, I just did this on mine when I bumped the old hose whilst refitting radiator and old hose just snapped from slightest pressure on it. If only Citroen could still supply return hose kits theses cars would more likely not be scrapped en mass.

1000+ Posts

Don't forget if shortening return hoses that some are dual layer (eg. return line from brake valve - I've not had to investigate the regulator return line). As I learnt the hard way, the outer layer, which is more flexible, can look fine, while the inner layer just splits when you push it onto a steel nozzle (nipple?), and LHM then escapes into the gap between the layers and comes out somewhere that you don't expect!

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

I have had to deal with exactly this problem, you will probably find that as you go more & more return hoses start leaking. Find a friendly hydraulic hose supplier & you should find they have suitable reinforced flexible hoses suitable for hydraulic oil in all sorts of sizes, along with a large range of brass elbows, tees and reducers. Keep a range on hand so you can replace quickly as a hose fails, or go the whole hog & just do the lot so you are confident of the cars reliability again. Worth doing!

It is virtually impossible to route the hoses as original without pulling out the motor, just reroute the hoses & clip them so they are secure & neat, the return oil is slowly pushed back to the tank so it can go up hill when needed as do the pipes in their current locations. The worst one to replace was the hoses on the brake unit on the fire wall, I had to take out the brake unit entirely & modify the high pressure pipes with bits from Pleades to get it back with the hoses all connected, awful job, the rest were no too bad although the whole job took some time, worth it tho.

Regards

agd123
    David S likes this.

Thread Information