DS 23 djet fuel pump
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS 23 djet fuel pump

I relaced the leaking original 3 hose electric fuel pump on the DS23 with the 2 hose bosch unit currently available.
    The return from the pressure regulator was joined to the tank return. It works ok, but is noticeably louder that the original pump.
    The pump seems to be quieter for a short time after replacing the fuel filter.
    Any comments or advice?
    D.

Advertisement

Sent from my LG-K520 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Why did you replace it?

Can you hear it when the engine is running or when driving?

I ask because I have an original on my SM IE.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

D. I have been down the same path with my DS23IE. The original pump died about 15 km from home on its first trip home after taking delivery of it from Steeley. I replaced it with a Bosch Black pump and it was very noisy. When I talked to the fuel injection place where I bought the pump in Toowoomba, this is what that problem turned out to be. The fuel line from the tank to the pump is a smaller diameter than the inlet on the pump. The pump cannot suck enough fuel through to keep the pump full and that's why it's noisy. The solution was to replace the Bosch pump with one from a VL Commodore. Saab also uses the same pump. They are readily available, cheaper than the Bosch pump, and while there is still a tiny bit of noise, it's nothing compared to the Bosch pump. Problem solved. I think, but haven't checked recently, that the original style pump may be available from Franzose. Hope this helps.
    Robin

Fellow Frogger!

I just checked Franzose and the replacement pump listed looks remarkably similar to the the one I have fitted now. A quick test is to check that inlet pipe diameter on the pump is the same size as the outlet hose from the tank. Robin

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Had the same issue with a rotary pump on an SM EFI. It turns out that the tank was rusty. Whenever the fuel filter between the pump and tank began to become clogged, the pump would get noisy. I appreciated the audible alert that it was time to change the filter.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

I replaced the original pump because it was leaking petrol and a new o ring didn't stop the leak.
    I had come to a similar conclusion to Robin's. I assume the noise is caused by cavitation of the petrol on the inlet side.
    I have been considering an experiment of connecting the return line to the pump inlet line between the filter and the pump.
    Could be a bit dicey without a non return valve to prevent any
    Unfiltered fuel or air entering the pump.
    I have some recollection of a think, Franzose having exchange original pumps.lThat would be a better option.
    I will check out VL Commodore pumps. could be good if they are the 3 pipe style. Thanks guys , David.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi David, the VL pumps are only two pipes but that's not an issue. Just remove the old third pipe at the pump. Cheers, Robin

Fellow Frogger!

If your fuel pump can deliver more pressure/flow than required it can be slowed down with a suitable resistor, the pump will be quieter and last longer. I once had a Rover V8 fitted with one as original equipment.
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    If your fuel pump can deliver more pressure/flow than required it can be slowed down with a suitable resistor, the pump will be quieter and last longer. I once had a Rover V8 fitted with one as original equipment.
    Woody
    That's an idea I hadn't condidered.
    Not sure what a suitable resister would be. The pressure regulator takes care of one element so a length of small fuel hose on the outlet should reduce the flow. Very easy to try it out. Thanks.

1000+ Posts

I believe Brian is talking about an electrical resistor, which would reduce the voltage. A 12v pump running at 6 volts would run at about half speed, and would be quieter.

I believe that you could get the same result by fitting a 24v pump, and just running it at 12v (without resistor). Some trucks run 24v systems (I should know - I own one!), so there are 24v fuel pumps - here's an example:
    https://www.scintex.com.au/products/...waAtq3EALw_wcB

Cheers

Alec

Thread Information