C5 Engine mounts
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By pottsy

Thread: C5 Engine mounts

Default C5 Engine mounts

Hi All. I've just fallen in love with my C5 wagon all over again!

It's amazing just how much difference a new engine mount makes to a diesel engine!

Soon a after I got the car it was diagnosed with a failing engine mount and engine stay, so I duly purchased and installed those items and was very happy with the result.

Now, after ONLY 50,000 kM ( ) and just under 4 years, I've had to replace them again!

The motor was threatening to shake out my fillings at idle recently, despite the engine stay having been replaced earlier in the year, and a second opinion from a Guru confirmed that it was time to replace the main mount. A new mount, as well as a pair of outer tie-rod ends, was purchased from EAI and duly installed.

To say the difference is miraculous would not be overstatement!

A smooth idle, and as a bonus, but unrelated, a firmer front end over bumps. The tie-rod ends were not completely worn out, just well on the way, so I figured it was time to do them as well.

Advertisement

So if you have a C5 it may well be worth checking the height of your RHS engine mount.

Herewith photos of the old vs new from the first time they were done, in Nov 2014, and this time. Both times I think it was unarguably necessary! Interestingly, the rubber was also cracking away around the base of the rubber cone.

Oh, and the replacement in 2014 was a "Sasic" brand which I think was the original supplier, so even though I bought that one via eBay I don't think I have any cause for complaint.

Let's see how the new one lasts shall we?

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 Engine mounts-new-old-mounts-take-1.jpg   C5 Engine mounts-new-old-mounts-take-2.jpg   C5 Engine mounts-cracking-around-bottom.jpg  
    UFO, leithant and antonio like this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post

It's amazing just how much difference a new engine mount makes to a diesel engine!

Soon a after I got the car it was diagnosed with a failing engine mount and engine stay, so I duly purchased and installed those items and was very happy with the result.

Now, after ONLY 50,000 kM ( ) and just under 4 years, I've had to replace them again!

The motor was threatening to shake out my fillings at idle recently, despite the engine stay having been replaced earlier in the year, and a second opinion from a Guru confirmed that it was time to replace the main mount. A new mount, as well as a pair of outer tie-rod ends, was purchased from EAI and duly installed.

A smooth idle, and as a bonus, but unrelated, a firmer front end over bumps. The tie-rod ends were not completely worn out, just well on the way, so I figured it was time to do them as well.

So if you have a C5 it may well be worth checking the height of your RHS engine mount.

Herewith photos of the old vs new from the first time they were done, in Nov 2014, and this time. Both times I think it was unarguably necessary! Interestingly, the rubber was also cracking away around the base of the rubber cone.

Oh, and the replacement in 2014 was a "Sasic" brand which I think was the original supplier, so even though I bought that one via eBay I don't think I have any cause for complaint.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    I agree with you about the mounts. They do seem to fail quite quickly. The dogbones are a frail point too. Both are readily available on Ebay ( from the UK mostly from memory ) so they must be high turnover bits.
    It seems to be something of a Citroen tradition. DSs especially injection cars cook the exhaust side mount, GSs destroy their inadequate little rubber blocks with leaked engine oil and CXs are always in need of dogbones.
    My son has a Renault Clio Sport 172. The dogbone components have a similar French look in that they are alloy castings rather than the circular rubber moulded rubber buffers in cheap steel.
    thankfully the mount and dogbone are reasonably easily replaced. The gearbox end mount does not seem to be offered by Ebay sellers so I can only assume that end does not die regularly.

FFAARRKK!!
    Is that what's wrong with mine? Been making some funny sounds lately over bumps and vibrating a bit at lights
    Thanks Pottsy, I will check.
    John

Cheers, Pottsy.

Wow what s difference in height we need to replace both sides of our RHZ engine making some knock knock noise at startup and acceleration. What brand where you supplied?
    Will call them on Monday.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

From what I hear at Euroserve, almost every roadworthy they do involves a new top engine mount from the BX onwards. BTW Sasic brand are not the OEM brand and are not getting a great reputation on AF although that is what EAI sell a lot of. The OEM mount seems to last about 100kkm - you gets what you pays for I suppose.

Cheers, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    BTW Sasic brand are not the OEM brand and are not getting a great reputation on AF although that is what EAI sell a lot of.

Cheers, Ken
    My goof, I suppose I just assumed. The new one this time around is a "Corteco" brand from EAI.

Obviously a known issue.

Incidentally I also checked the lower stay rubber (under and behind the engine) while I was fiddling, and that looks fine. Maybe that's an original!

John, the loose outer tie-rod ends were incidental. If I hadn't done them I'd still be majorly impressed with how smooth and quiet the beast is with a new engine mount.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

My goof, I suppose I just assumed. The new one this time around is a "Corteco" brand from EAI.

Obviously a known issue.

Incidentally I also checked the lower stay rubber (under and behind the engine) while I was fiddling, and that looks fine. Maybe that's an original!

John, the loose outer tie-rod ends were incidental. If I hadn't done them I'd still be majorly impressed with how smooth and quiet the beast is with a new engine mount.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Yes M. Pottsy, I also found the lower stay rubber ( a normal circular rubber blob ) was also OK. That pert number will fit lots even Xantias. Beats me why, but that lower mount has a less than pleasant working environment being oil covered and heat exposed close to the exhaust yet that rubber doesn't rot or fracture. I have heard of a mounting bolt at that point shearing or fatigue cracking. The upper dogbone mount looks really "technical" with its trapezoidal block and is obviously oriented in a fore/aft direction .. but as we know doesn't last. A look on Ebay shows different models use a "normal" round rubber.

Thread Information