BX versus Xantia
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default BX versus Xantia

I know this is going to be hugely subjective... but wondered whether anyone has owned both BX 1.9l auto and Xantia 2l auto for comparison purposes. I have the opportunity to buy both, but can only take one or the other. The BX is an 89-er absolutely immaculate 1 owner with 100k's on the clock, it's been a older couples baby all it's life - even records of purchase of new valve caps! - and is Au$4000.
    The Xantia is "nice", but not so well cared for or immaculate. But it's a '96 model with 150k's for AU$6000. I guess it's a matter of preference when driving, but thought someone might have a comment or observation maybe having owned both. (Both petrol versions).

Advertisement
    Last edited by paulclifford; 17th May 2004 at 08:00 PM. Reason: To add final two words "both petrol".

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Drive 'em both and see which one you like the most.

The Xantia is without doubt a MUCH better screwed together car, however it is heavier which means:

-it's slower
    -it uses more fuel

It's also a hell of a lot quiter, the interior plastic won't curl up and break the first time you park it in the sun.

The BX however is light & zippy, it'll probably feel like a gokart compared to the Xantia.

I've just replaced my wifes BX19tri 5spd with a Xantia VSX slugomatic. The Xantia is no doubt a supperior car, it rides better and certainly handles every bit as well with it's hyperactive suspension. It misses out on the god awful seats fitted to BX tri's, the awful (well bloody painful really) accellerator position in BX's. I've never heard of a Xantia slugomatic dying, however I heard endless complaints about the BX slugomatic costing big $$$ to put right.

I'm sure you'll be hugely impressed with either if you buy them. My wife keeps complaining that she misses driving her BX 'cos it's like a race car compared to the Xantia slugomatic (remember it's a 5spd).

the xantia would be a vastly supperior car with a proper manual gearbox...

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I know nothing about the Xantia so I can only be guided by Shane's experience. Personally, I like the Xantia & think it would be a great car but apparently it is a lot less toey than a BX in the auto version.
    I know a couple of people who have owned/own BX autos and they are more than happy with the performance.
    The auto problems seem to be limited to those who think ATF lasts forever & then complain about big repair bills when the shit literally hits the fan.
    According to those who have done the long hauls in them (400,000 Klms+) without major problems, the secret is annual changes of the ATF; don't wait until the red stuff goes black.
    If the cars were equal in mileage & service records, I'd say go the Xantia, however under the cirumstances, I'd reckon the BX is the way to go as a long term proposition.
    I think also that "the plastic in the Sun" issue that Shane raises would apply more here in Australia than in NZ due to our more intense heat & higher UV readings. Yours I would imagine would be more like UK standard where this is not such a big issue.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by paulclifford
    I know this is going to be hugely subjective... but wondered whether anyone has owned both BX 1.9l auto and Xantia 2l auto for comparison purposes. I have the opportunity to buy both, but can only take one or the other. The BX is an 89-er absolutely immaculate 1 owner with 100k's on the clock, it's been a older couples baby all it's life - even records of purchase of new valve caps! - and is Au$4000.
    The Xantia is "nice", but not so well cared for or immaculate. But it's a '96 model with 150k's for AU$6000. I guess it's a matter of preference when driving, but thought someone might have a comment or observation maybe having owned both. (Both petrol versions).
    I've a Xantia and am buying a BX too! I'd endorse the comments made by Shane and Alan completely from both experience and observation/research.

Apart from which you like, long term, the Xantia might be the better option but for the relative mileage. Apart from anything else, parts will be easier in 5-10 years time. I find our Xantia VERY solid, and the BX (on one drive) much more like a Peugeot 205. Both are just delightful but very different cars in character. Mine are both manual, but I reckon that's a marginal issue for the comparison.

I presume (don't know) that the Xantia might be safer in a bad accident - because of greater mass and newer structural design.

When I last had this type of choice I bought a well maintained, low mileage 1964 Renault R8 instead of one of several much newer R10s with higher mileage and poorer body condition. This was 1973 and I still have the R8, which probably speaks for itself - maybe it says more about my sanity than the cars.....

Seriously, I take body and interior condition, and mileage, as more important than getting a newer car or a newer model.

Finally, it does depend a bit on how long you might expect to keep it.

Good luck with the choice, and please let us know what you get. Oh, and I might ask you to take it to my car friend in Morrinsville and educate him properly!!! He knows about French cars from our R8 but is not good on modern Citroens.

JohnW

The biggest thing I can think of is the comfort for long distances.

If your going to be doing a lot of driving around town, the eargerness of the BX will be a help.

Out on the highways, the BX with it's accelerator pedal is an awful car to drive. Our original BX was a BX16 trs auto, after I bent sh!t out of it's accelerator pedal it was quite confortable at highway speeds (don't get one of them though ... awful, awful combination the auto & 1600cc carby motor it is). Now the BX19tri has much more power down low, so at 100km/h your using nowhere near as much throttle, even after bending sh!t out of the accellerator it's still an excrutiatingly painful car to drive for any distance. The seats if your 'vertically challanged' will not adjust vertically enough for you. I fitted a Renault Fuego seat to my BX for Ang, which improved matters dramatically, but the accellerators still a pain ... The BX16valve without doubt would be vastly better as it appears to have the same seats as the CX turbo's were fitted with.

The Xantias throttle position is much better, however you simply flick the cruise control on when traveling. It's seats are much better after you have adjusted the lower back support out as far as possible.

I still think you should just take 'em both for a spin and see which one you like the most. Neither is really a bad car.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

I've just been through this exercise, and I bought a '93 BX TZi (with metal bonnet). Taking everything into consideration, including the fact it would be a daily driver in Sydney traffic, a Xantia just wasn't 3x better than the BX, this being the difference in the price.

Xantia is a damn good car though, esp the VSX 16v manuals at around $9-10k. The 16v engine just loves to rev, I saw 6500 going up Gladesville bridge in second gear without really trying. There's no doubt the Xantia is better built & quieter on the road, but at the same time I like the noises the BX makes, at least at town speeds. The BX certainly feels lighter & more agile, and while I was led to believe it would be a buzzy rattly POS, in reality it is just typical of an 80's car. The 505 GTI I had, fox example, was much noisier.

I think a good BX can be had in the 2500-4000 range (there was a BX TZi auto with 107000 in drive.com.au recently for I think $3900), while the equivalent Xantia will be at least double. The BX is just Peugeot 405 mechanicals (the TZi is Motronic fuel injection too) so really there isn't anything that would be difficult to sort out. On the other hand the Xantia 16vs are the same engine as the C5, so again easy to look after parts wise. The other thing to consider is that a BX is cheap enough to not warrant full insurance, if like me you have young drivers that is also a big saving.

If it was our 'main' car I would get a Xantia, but this one is a second car to a C5, so no contest really for the price BX wins hand down.

Barry.

Thanks all for the various points of view. I have looked closer at the Xantia today and driven it much further. It is beautiful on the road - quiet & with reasonable "pull", although less than my 2.2 Renault R25 5-sp. I said yesterday that compared with the BX it was in "nice" condition. Having looked again, it's better than that and apart from some bonnet chips in the paint, has been well cared for. 16" mags / Pirelli's. Absolutely quiet. I'm presuming from one of the postings that a well serviced car will give me a few more k's past the 150k it currently shows. It's an ex-Japanese car, (which sounds odd for a Citroen, but there you are), so is very highly spec'd (as they like them). Thanks re the comments as to what it will be used for. We have another car (make best left unsaid), for around the town, so city / town use will be fairly minimal. We visit family often, necessitating 2 hrs each way of open road use, plus more sometimes, so that is it primary use.
    The BX is still very nice indeed, in fact it has one of the best seating arrangements I have sat in I think - just right for the vertically challenged indeed. I will organise a side-by-side comparison within the next day or two and then make the choice. I think I have been expecting all the newer Citroens to ride like my DS23 and GS's of some years back (I've been out of them for a while), but none of the newer ones seem to be like that no matter how many I try! - thanks again = Paul

Thanks all for the various points of view. I have looked closer at the Xantia today and driven it much further. It is beautiful on the road - quiet & with reasonable "pull", although less than my 2.2 Renault R25 5-sp. I said yesterday that compared with the BX it was in "nice" condition. Having looked again, it's better than that and apart from some bonnet chips in the paint, has been well cared for. 16" mags / Pirelli's. Absolutely quiet. I'm presuming from one of the postings that a well serviced car will give me a few more k's past the 150k it currently shows. It's an ex-Japanese car, (which sounds odd for a Citroen, but there you are), so is very highly spec'd (as they like them). Thanks re the comments as to what it will be used for. We have another car (make best left unsaid), for around the town, so city / town use will be fairly minimal. We visit family often, necessitating 2 hrs each way of open road use, plus more sometimes, so that is it primary use.
    The BX is still very nice indeed, in fact it has one of the best seating arrangements I have sat in I think - just right for the vertically challenged indeed. I will organise a side-by-side comparison within the next day or two and then make the choice. I think I have been expecting all the newer Citroens to ride like my DS23 and GS's of some years back (I've been out of them for a while), but none of the newer ones seem to be like that no matter how many I try! - thanks again = Paul
    Paul,

I'm sure we'll be fascinated to hear the outcome!! I'd say either decision would be fine!!! If the Xantia bodywork is good, it's newer all around except for actual number of rotations of the engine/trans/wheels, then it's newer and maybe has more in it. It's not an exceptionally high mileage - a friend of mine just bought a 306 with 280,000 km and it goes well.

Thinking of roads around Hamilton and between there and Auckland, I'd reckon the BX might be more fun but the Xantia more relaxed.

Then, an ex-Japan Xantia for sale in NZ! Amazing world we live in.

Good luck

JohnW

DS

Default Bx V Xantia

BX has fallen into "enthusiast" territory while Xantia is still in "user" territory. Anyone else feel that way? I have always found any BX, particularly the early ones to be a fun a quirky car to drive. All the Xantia I have driven with the exception of a Turbo CT have been painfully drab.

The BX is and will continue to be the harder car to "grab" spares for, especially if you need them NOW to fix that thing that went wrong TODAY so you can drive to work tommorrow!

I have owned a 19TRi & a 16V & driven many other BX's & Xantias & I'd have too say that unless its a 16V in top cond that most BX's just arent worth it. I drove a Xantia Activa Turbo last year & that was great but I still felt the BX 16V was more inspiring. My 16V was a bloody good car & if they dont become a classic in the future I will be surprised (it beat me why people bought Mi16s to be honest, but dont tell the Pug boys that!). But at the end of the day, as far as the base models of each are concerned & seeing a difference of only $2k I would definetely go for the Xantia. As far as refinement, safety, styling & reliability go, it is poles apart. A Xantia even with 150k km on it should still get you to 200k pain free but it all depends on its history. If it has any glitches it could cost you thousands more & at least there are many BX wrecks around. If the Xantia checks out (even at that price allow $1.5k to fix those tiny niggling things) it would make the better purchase. It still surprises me how cheap Xantias have become & $6k, even with 150k, is unheard of! Buy the Xantia & enjoy....or find a decent BX 16V, you will not be disappointed. Either way, its a Citroen.......you cant go wrong!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

The BX is not the 16v model. All things considered, We're leaning toward the Xantia, even though it has 150k's up. Apart from its days as a new car, it's been owned by the one guy for the last 100k's and I've now discovered he has a file history at home, including full services, cambelt changes - the works. He tried not to leave it parked outside in the sun (garaged) and wasn't keen on taking it out in the rain. (Lord knows how he clocked up 100k's - although thats 6 years worth). I got offered $500 for the 5-sp Renault R25. It goes great (97 miles) but has a few rust bubbles developing around the trailing edge of the sunroof & I suspect repairs will be messy. Maybe park it in the street with $1000 on it. I'll post final decision & some reflections later.
    To John - the Hamilton-Auckland route is now mostly straight & 4-lane, no snaky bits to chuck a BX around much anymore! And the 100kph speed limit is being STRICTLY enforced at the moment. Petrol has just gone up this morning to $1.22 per litre - $1.27 for premium grade.
    Cheers - Paul

I like the xantia but I love the BX, they are 2 totally different cars really. The BX is a much more unconventional car, while the xantia is more of a daily (magna) type driver.
    They are very nice however and they do what they are supposed to do, but very boring....a xantia wagon is very nice, BX has a great weird ugly shape to it though especially the estate version....

"I have owned a 19TRi & a 16V & driven many other BX's & Xantias & I'd have too say that unless its a 16V in top cond that most BX's just arent worth it."

Thems fighting words....!!!

A 16V BX under 4500rpm is not what you'd call an inspiring car... and I find it difficult to comprehend how anyone could argue that point....

I wont go down the already done to death path of arguing running and maintence costs between an 8V and a 16V.....

But to say that a "most BX's arent worth it unless they are a 16V" is harsh...!!

An 8V BX is considerably cheaper to buy (and run - sorry Shane!!) and a very different car so the comparison is unfair... to say they are not worth it is ludicrous..

It's like comparing an M series BMW to a standard or a Turbo Porcshe to a normally aspirated one...

BX 8V v's BX 16V if it was for city driving and point to point commuting I'd take the 8V any day... for long distance curising or country runs you wont find amore engaging drive than a 16V but don't dismiss an 8V because of it...

Tadpole

Hi Paul,

I am from Hamilton, New Zealand also. I bought a BX TZD Turbo just before Xmas and really like it. They drive really great. I was not specifically after a diesel but this car was such a good example that I bought it and with the intercooled turbo engine it is excellent. I have joined and met a couple of nice people from Waikato Citroen Car Club and they have given me some good advice.
    Would like to catch up with you to talk cars if you are interested.

Thanks everyone. I plumped for the Xantia in the end as I felt that it would meet my needs (mainly touring) a bit better. I would be interested in what other Xantia owners are running as "good" tyres. Although they don't need renewing, this car has Italian made Pirelli P600's 205/55 R16 88v on the front & Michelin Pilot Hx 205/55 ZR 16 91W MXM's on the rear. The fronts seem to scrub a lot on full lock (or sound as if they are), and the rears thump quite loudly over ridges in the road. The ride is excellent (recharged spheres all round in April this year), but the tyres do seem to thump. The 16" mags certainly set off the dark green paint work lovely. All day driving trip tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Spending most of June in Au travelling around Sydney, Avoca, Gosford, all of that time so will keep my eyes open for you NSW Coaster Xantia fiends.

Scott - will contact you direct... thanks all = Paul

Thanks everyone. I plumped for the Xantia in the end as I felt that it would meet my needs (mainly touring) a bit better. I would be interested in what other Xantia owners are running as "good" tyres. Although they don't need renewing, this car has Italian made Pirelli P600's 205/55 R16 88v on the front & Michelin Pilot Hx 205/55 ZR 16 91W MXM's on the rear. The fronts seem to scrub a lot on full lock (or sound as if they are), and the rears thump quite loudly over ridges in the road. The ride is excellent (recharged spheres all round in April this year), but the tyres do seem to thump. The 16" mags certainly set off the dark green paint work lovely. All day driving trip tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Spending most of June in Au travelling around Sydney, Avoca, Gosford, all of that time so will keep my eyes open for you NSW Coaster Xantia fiends.

Scott - will contact you direct... thanks all = Paul
    Just make sure its all serviced well - anything that has lived in Japan is not likely to have been well serviced. Cars only have to last 3 years in Japan, so they tend to drive them til they drop as it were. Hopefully, being a froggy car in Japan, its owners cared for it better than a mainstream Jap car. Seen plenty of ex Jap cars blowing smoke from worn out motors at 60-80 K km - no oil changes and lots of sitting in traffic (big hours on low "milage" motors - might be worth changing the timing belt "early") .... Dont mean to freak you out, but be aware of it

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Just make sure its all serviced well - anything that has lived in Japan is not likely to have been well serviced. Cars only have to last 3 years in Japan, so they tend to drive them til they drop as it were. Hopefully, being a froggy car in Japan, its owners cared for it better than a mainstream Jap car. Seen plenty of ex Jap cars blowing smoke from worn out motors at 60-80 K km - no oil changes and lots of sitting in traffic (big hours on low "milage" motors - might be worth changing the timing belt "early") .... Dont mean to freak you out, but be aware of it
    Unless you are sure the cambelt has been changed properly and at a known date and mileage, I'd change it yesterday.

JohnW

John,

Did you venture into the realms of BXownership and if so, how's it all working out for you?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    John,

Did you venture into the realms of BXownership and if so, how's it all working out for you?

Alan S
    Alan,

Thanks for asking. Nearly there! Deposit paid, car being inspected by trusted third party and at the weekend I expect to finalise negotiations once we know what really needs doing. There are a couple of things that NEED doing and a few minor matters that can be done in time.

It's had major AC work, valve guides, clutch and a few odd things done in recent years, straight as a die and very tidy indeed. No accident damage.

Needless to say, I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Cheers

JohnW

Thanks John. Yes the cambelt has been changed. The car came in from Japan at 50K, owned in NZ till 140K (present). Has the workshop history of a cambelt replacement at 99K. (Wasn't exactly cheap either!). In fact the Car Cinic was happy to give me a history, which was quite considerable. They suggested the previous owner was "fastidious" - so they wouldn't have anything to lose by giving the detail. = Drives wonderfully! May take it to a radio workshop, the radio sounds okay for a few miles and then seems to go slightly off-station and back as if it is band-searching or something. No CD player unfortunately. = Paul

Thanks John. Yes the cambelt has been changed. The car came in from Japan at 50K, owned in NZ till 140K (present). Has the workshop history of a cambelt replacement at 99K. (Wasn't exactly cheap either!). In fact the Car Cinic was happy to give me a history, which was quite considerable. They suggested the previous owner was "fastidious" - so they wouldn't have anything to lose by giving the detail. = Drives wonderfully! May take it to a radio workshop, the radio sounds okay for a few miles and then seems to go slightly off-station and back as if it is band-searching or something. No CD player unfortunately. = Paul
    Sounds like a good one! I'm very pleased with our Xantia. Relaxing and solid and with character.

The Australian PSA vehicles have a local spec. radio to give better out of town performance - I'd doubt that was done for Japan!!

Good luck with it.

JohnW

danielsydney did say The BX is a much more unconventional car, while the xantia is more of a daily (magna) type driver.
    They are very nice however and they do what they are supposed to do, but very boring

i'm sorry daniel, as a xantia owner, i won't have it!

no beef with the BX, would love one myself (and the rest).

certainly many will say the styling of the xantia is more conservative than that of the BX (particularly the interior) and i won't argue that - i'd be happier with a bit more spaceship myself. i'll wear that.

however, this is the second time i have seen you use the expression 'xantia' in close proximity to 'boring' & 'magna', and one is not amused

perhaps i should have bought that cardigan?
    Time Flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana
    Xantia

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik
    danielsydney did say The BX is a much more unconventional car, while the xantia is more of a daily (magna) type driver.
    They are very nice however and they do what they are supposed to do, but very boring

i'm sorry daniel, as a xantia owner, i won't have it!

no beef with the BX, would love one myself (and the rest).

certainly many will say the styling of the xantia is more conservative than that of the BX (particularly the interior) and i won't argue that - i'd be happier with a bit more spaceship myself. i'll wear that.

however, this is the second time i have seen you use the expression 'xantia' in close proximity to 'boring' & 'magna', and one is not amused

perhaps i should have bought that cardigan?
    I'm with you on that. My Xantia isn't boring!!! Unlike a Magna, I can see out of it properly too!

JohnW

Most modern cars look just the same. The Xantia, 406, Xsara etc all look like everything else on the road. However my old ID19 is unmistakable

I don't mind the Xantia (and yes I do own one) but what a yawn visually ...

I'll stick with my CX's & GS's thanks

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Most modern cars look just the same. The Xantia, 406, Xsara etc all look like everything else on the road. However my old ID19 is unmistakable

I don't mind the Xantia (and yes I do own one) but what a yawn visually ...

I'll stick with my CX's & GS's thanks

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hard to argue with that. However, the Xantia is unique from the rear quarter view. Now if you add a genuine French towbar - extraordinarily phallic - there's nothing like it. But from the rear not the front, I'll grant.

I've been in love with the DS since I was about 8, in 1957. Still frustrated.

JohnW

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information