• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By gerrypro

Thread: More Traction Advice needed please

Fellow Frogger!

Default More Traction Advice needed please

Hi All,

I'm having much trouble sourcing a replacement wiring harness for my TA (Slough built 1953). Firstly I definitely need one, the insulation on the existing crumbles to dust if you bend a wire. Secondly I've done this job before (different TA - long time ago in the UK). That last time I was all for preserving 'originality,' so this time {so far} I've followed the same logic. There's a crowd down in Vic advertising standard TA harness but me being me I don't want 'standard.' The 'usual' additions for trafficators - yes I'm after those, fairly easily accomplished. However I'd really like to incorporate a fusebox (that previous job followed a fire due to a short in an unfused circuit). More controversially I want to route the 'front-to-back' cables along the floor (in a conduit), not through the headlining. Why do I want to do that? because I've got previous for removing & reinstalling headlinings & it was not a pretty sight - the headlining of current TA is arguably the best part of the car {though I'm working to change all that}. I've asked but heard nothing for weeks now Re a modified 'traditional' harness - either way it's gonna be more than the $600 ish for a 'standard.'

So given I'm altering the layout & putting in a fusebox should I just abandon the attempt to re-cable with 'original looking' 'cotton braided' or whatever it is type wiring & just go for a "Universal" harness {seems to run at a couple of hundred bucks - you just specify how many 'circuits' you're after} & maybe just 'disguise' any visible bits if possible with some kind of 'wrapping'? - is there such a thing? For the fusebox I'm currently thinking of using one of the 'Marine' type, situated out of sight under the dash- roughly behind the battery tray.

I realise I'd be marked down in a 'concours' judgement for what I'm proposing but that's not as important to me as having a functional vehicle with better inbuilt safety than it originated with, & crucially that won't need any wiring attention for the longest possible time.

Advertisement

Opinions please?

Regards,

Rob
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 MG ZR160
    1988 Mercedes 300E
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)
    That's one for each day of the week - I really should stop

I bought all the necessary wire 3mm, 4mmm and 5mm black cable. I removed my loom and dismantled it one piece at a time and immediately made a replacement for that wire reusing most of the original connectors ( bullet variety and ring / eyelet types). It was fairly straight forward to do. I used coloured heat shrink to make up a code for the wires and put this on each end of every wire so that I could tell which one went where. I also used masking tape to write labels designating its connection ( Diagrams help too).
    The completed loom was then wrapped in black bias binding cotton tape ( available on Ebay ). This approach looks very 'Vintage' although you could have the whole thing wrapped in the Lucas Cotton Braid. I forget who can do this these days.
    It is important to label every wire as one
    removes the l
    oom from the car. The loom is in two sections on a Slough car. I would start by doing the engine bay loom first before tackling the dash-board loom. If your headlining is also out I would replace the long runs to the rear at the same time.
    My loom was completed twenty years ago and ahs performed faultlessly ever since.
    If you wish to search online and money is no object. The you could also import one from England. There are a number of suppliers that can assist. Do a search online. This will save a lot of time.
    baldrick56 likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Gerry,

some good ideas to follow up there. Last time I had the good fortune to find one of the dwindling 'independent' motor accessory shops near where I was working at the time - this place was a time-warp from the 1960's, I cleaned them out of (NoS) bullet connectors, 4-way junctions etc so my UK TA had a new suite of connectors as well as new cabling. Doubt I'll be that lucky this time so re-using the old from the existing will have to be the go.

Regards,

Rob
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 MG ZR160
    1988 Mercedes 300E
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)
    That's one for each day of the week - I really should stop

I just did an Ebay Search for Lucas Bullet connectors. There are so many hits for the double and single units it literally blows my mind. No excuse to recycle unless economy is an issue. BTW the old units I used cleaned up a treat. The only issue with one was a degraded outer rubber cover.
    Last edited by gerrypro; 24th July 2018 at 09:30 PM.
    baldrick56 likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information