Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Robin Hoffmann
  • 1 Post By Armidillo
  • 1 Post By Armidillo

Thread: C6 Lack of power

Default C6 Lack of power

Hello,

Advertisement

Found out that my C6 3.0V6 petrol have no power during acceleration, especially while climbing up the hill. Anyone know what part need to be checked?

Thanks

1000+ Posts

Fueling or injection come to mind first. You might check fuel pressure, but the best thing to do would be a Diagbox read of the computer.

1000+ Posts

Is this a new problem, or has it always been like that?

Is the engine light on? Is it in limp mode? Is it changing gears normally if it is an auto?

1000+ Posts

You got a choice between 6 cyl petrol or diesel, both with an AM6 box.

Fellow Frogger!

A clogged catalytic converter or a muffler with collapsed innards will significantly reduce power. Happened on my daughter's 406 some time back. She feared it was the gearbox but a new muffler fixed it all up. How many Ks has the C6 done? Robin
    David S likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi Kelvin
    Welcome ! It is not possible to give a sensible answer without a more complete description of any problems. Some people have made good suggestions but hard to say if they fit your car.
    I suggest you consider some questions and then answer them for us to give suggestions..
    Has the car been perfect driving before this time.
    Did the problem start quickly or just creep up till you noticed it.
    Is there a warning light on the dash.
    Does the car start up normally and drive normally around the suburbs at normal speeds.
    Will it accelerate from the lights to a good speed normally.
    What does it do when you drive up a steep hill.
    When it has a lack of power does it run smoothly or is it rough running.
    Cheers Jaahn

Hello, thank you for everyoneís reply.

I have been very busy recently. Sorry for late reply.

seasick:
    I have checked with diagbox, U1205 and U2005, C1102, U1213 are presented, but they are under suspension section.

Armidillo:
    Itís a new problem, it had no problem going uphill before.

Ken W:
    The engine light is not on, and itís not in limp mode.it didnít change gear while going uphill( no kickdown), but have no problem while city and highways driving.

Robin Hoffmann:
    Thank you for your reply, but it is absolutely normal except for going uphill. It has done 56XXX km.

jaahn:
    It was perfect before. It happened just after I changed the front brake pads only. No warning light on the dash. It drives superb around suburbs and any speed. It accelerates normally. It keeps driving at 25km max at 2500rpm when driving uphill but no rough engine sound.

I took the car to mechanic, he said that the engine harness have to be changed. Is it possible that the harness could cause this problem?

Kelvin

1000+ Posts

U1213 refers to the ABS/ESP computer giving invalid output. When you changed the pads did you disturb an ABS sensor or its wiring?

When a heavy car heads uphill it will need a fuel supply increase. If that doesn't occur, it doesn't raise a sensor fault with the computer, as the hill is simply too steep. I'd be looking at fuel supply and fuel pressure first off.

1000+ Posts

Default Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    U1213 refers to the ABS/ESP computer giving invalid output. When you changed the pads did you disturb an ABS sensor or its wiring?

When a heavy car heads uphill it will need a fuel supply increase. If that doesn't occur, it doesn't raise a sensor fault with the computer, as the hill is simply too steep. I'd be looking at fuel supply and fuel pressure first off.
    Hi Kelvin
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I agree with Seasink on both those things to check.
    I doubt a wiring harness would be my first call. Most likely to put a fault light on if a problem seen there.

So check the fuel filter and change, then perhaps visually check the exhaust for damage, crushed pipe or even a blocked tail pipe. (when young we used to jam potatoes into them for fun???) You might have backed into an earth bank or jacked it up using the exhaust.
    You can check the exhaust back pressure by removing the first O2 sensor and fitting a pressure gauge, to see if the Cat is clogged or the muffler has collapsed inside.
    Also check the ABS sensors as well where the brake work was done.
    Good luck Jaahn

UFO

Can I suggest that you have the battery and charging system checked? So many have found that a failing battery or alternator can seriously affect the performance of their modern cars. They need all the volts and amps that they can get to perform optimally.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinmingxd View Post
    Hello, thank you for everyone’s reply.

I have been very busy recently. Sorry for late reply.

seasick:
    I have checked with diagbox, U1205 and U2005, C1102, U1213 are presented, but they are under suspension section.

Armidillo:
    It’s a new problem, it had no problem going uphill before.

Kelvin
    OK - that eliminates my thought, which was incorrect adjustment of the throttle cable (too much free play). I bought a 14-year old Pug 605 with very similar symptoms to yours (admittedly a much simpler beast), including auto kick-down not working. After some months I discovered the excess free-play in the throttle cable, which fixed the lack of power and the kick-down! Later, in conversation with a long-term Peugeot mechanic, I learnt that all 605s came to Australia with the same 'fault' - it was supposed to be adjusted during pre-delivery checks . My car had been like it for 14 years, and nobody noticed!!!

Other than that, my only suggestion would be fuel - is it possible to check fuel pressure? Certainly the rule I learnt in computer (PC) and LAN trouble shooting was to start with the last change, no matter how unrelated it appeared to be. Amazing how often this led to a diagnosis and resolution!

Cheers

Alec
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinmingxd View Post
    Hello,

Found out that my C6 3.0V6 petrol have no power during acceleration, especially while climbing up the hill. Anyone know what part need to be checked?

Thanks
    Jack up the front wheels, put it in neutral with the handbrake off and see how freely the front wheels spin. If you can't easily spin the wheels by hand you have a problem. Neutral, no handbrake. Spin both. Good luck.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    This is what I thought. If the computer can't sync the speed of the ABS ring then I would imagine it would potentially think that the one of the wheels are slipping more so if it has traction control and limit the amount of performance that it can send to the wheels.

Check the sensor is clean and aligned properly then see how it performs.

Regards,
    Curtis.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by draftpunk View Post
    This is what I thought. If the computer can't sync the speed of the ABS ring then I would imagine it would potentially think that the one of the wheels are slipping more so if it has traction control and limit the amount of performance that it can send to the wheels.

Check the sensor is clean and aligned properly then see how it performs.

Regards,
    Curtis.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    This sounds like a very good suggestion - I have experienced traction control limiting power to the wheels until I was barely moving! Can traction control on the C6 be switched off while driving? Would seem to be the quickest way of testing this.

Also what about pulling a fuse for ABS and/or traction control and road testing (being careful to avoid braking emergencies of course...) - might confirm that this is the problem area...

Cheers

Alec
    electroboy likes this.

Thread Information