DS roof rear stainless trim
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By faulksy

Thread: DS roof rear stainless trim

Default DS roof rear stainless trim

Hi all,
    Investigated the right rear blinker that stopped working, not the bulb (too easy), turned out to be the earth wire connector fatigued / failed. Have disassembled the trumpet, repaired connector and had to replace a bolt here that holds the trim on as it had a worn thread.
    In any case that is all good but the rear stainless trim that goes across the back of the roof and into the two trumpets has always been loose on this car. I remember someone saying there are clips inside?
    Can anyone shed some light on this trims fitment / re-fitment? Would like to get the rattle out if at all possible.

Steve

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frog View Post
    Hi all,
    Investigated the right rear blinker that stopped working, not the bulb (too easy), turned out to be the earth wire connector fatigued / failed. Have disassembled the trumpet, repaired connector and had to replace a bolt here that holds the trim on as it had a worn thread.
    In any case that is all good but the rear stainless trim that goes across the back of the roof and into the two trumpets has always been loose on this car. I remember someone saying there are clips inside?
    Can anyone shed some light on this trims fitment / re-fitment? Would like to get the rattle out if at all possible.

Steve
    Hi Steve,
    These are the fitting clips, 7 required
    Clip for rear trim

Tricky to do with the roof in place on the car - the clips are fitted and the stainless trim rolls and clips in place, because of the curve of the roof rolling the trim on takes some dexterity and perseverance.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

As an alternative to rolling the trim on, you can slide the clips into the trim and then clip it to the roof edge. Either way you are going to damage paint on the roof as the clips are fairly stiff and have small barbs to grip the panel. I believe the clips are different for aluminium and fiberglass roof panels. As to what the difference is I have no idea.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Thanks guys for the replies.
    Typical Citroen, start out replacing a bulb, next thing the roof is coming off!
    I will have to leave it for present. I can see the clips on either end not sure why they change from holding tightly to allowing movement.
    cheers
    Steve

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

The clips are made from carbon steel. They rust away. The last time I disassembled a DS for painting, about half of the clips had broken in half. FWIW, to remove the stainless strip, you just have to yank it off. I then use a rubber hammer to tap it back into place.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Thanks John,
    Have made a temporary improvement, have dragged and trimmed a piece of rubber sheet ( bike tube) into each corner that packs it tighter and has removed the rattle. It's quite neat and not noticeable. At some time the roof will come off, and the clips can be replaced.
    Cheers
    Steve

Sounds like a good result. FWIW the trim and be taken off and refitted without removing the roof.

Thread Information