• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Don B. Cilly
  • 1 Post By DS21 + SM

Thread: Oil type to use on my DS21

Tadpole

Default Oil type to use on my DS21

Hi, all:

My 1970 DS21 turns the low oil pressure too much at low engine revs and low speed.

When I got it, it rarely turned it on and when it did it was only when fully stopped and perhaps with the engine hot, and I thought that if I changed to a higher viscosity oil, the problem woudl be solved. I changed to synthetic oil, 5W-50, which if I understand correctly, when hot would be more viscous and therefore help with my problem, but no... it was quite the opposite. Now it turns the low oil pressure light and stop very easily, and even before comming to a full stop on a traffic light, for example.

Advertisement

So... it is pretty obvious that I goofed with my oil choice. Can somebody point me in the right direction and tell me what type and weight of oil should I use?

Thanks!
    Victor

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

I think your theory is correct. I had a similar problem using 5W-30. I changed to 15W-50 and the problem went away. My engine has over 100,000 miles, so I am biding my time before having to rebuild. Summer temperatures in Arizona (and Mexico) probably exacerbate the problem with thin oils.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

The other thing to check, of course, is the oil filter. You MUST line up the arrows on the oil filter basket correctly or the oil filter will not draw oil correctly and you will lose oil pressure. Also you MUST torque the single bolt through the oil filter basket correctly or you will lose oil pressure...
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Maker's specification is 20W50 mineral oil.
    driven likes this.

it's warm in Oz. I've never used less than a 20W oil in an old-design French engine. It used to be Castrol XL (20-30-40) and now I use a Penrite mineral oil, with full zinc, which was 20W-50 but these days is 20W-60. Hot idle oil pressure in the Renault engines is never less than 25 psi.

Great to see Mexican-US discussions on Aussiefrogs!! Welcome again.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

Visit Der Franzose the German website dedicated to old French cars - https://www.franzose.de/en/Home/. The reiterate Don B Cilly's note about mineral oils around which our cars were designed and built compared to today's synthetic oils and the engine characteristics that demand their use.

For my CX's, BX's and Xantia, I have always used Mobil One. These days its not the cheapest, but I am not a gambler anymore. For the 2CVs I have an each way bet - Dolly the town car uses Mobil 1. Daffyduck the bush car uses Castrol GTX 20W 50 - a mineral oil that is available throughout WA and NT in the only shop in town.

Anyhow, check out Der Franzose - its in English (or any other language that suits you) and has an amazing range of parts for 2CVs at least and I imagine other French makes and models (and be sure to read their article on oils).

John

Tadpole

Thank you guys for all the input! I will check with Der Franzose and get an appropiate oil, hoping that will help turn off my red light, which is rather unconfortable... particularly at nights, and check on the oil filter.

Victor
    Last edited by DS21 + SM; 10th July 2018 at 01:32 AM.

I had the exact same issue (low oil pressure warning light) and 20w-50 Oil solved it! I've not seen the light flicker since the day i changed it from 5w-50!

Quote Originally Posted by DS21 + SM View Post
    Thank you guys for all the input! I will check with Der Franzose and get an appropiate oil, hoping that will help turn off my red light, which is rather unconfortable... particularly at nights, and check on the oil filter.

Victor
    Pynhead
    Tumblr Instagram
    Los Angeles
    1969 Citroen DS21

Tadpole

Thank you Pynhead! I look forward to replacing it!
    Victor
    Caisson likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Was this the der Franzose article you referred to JBN: https://www.franzose.de/en/News/PaNa...rig-schwierig- ? (There's an English language version.)

My DS 23 efi with 123 distributer recently had this problem. I changed the oil fron 5w40 to 20x40, no difference what so ever!
    Then adjusted the idle speed to about 20 rpm faster, problem solved!
    Assuming you have the original distributer, it could be time the adjust the points and timing.
    Maybe new plugs while you are at it.
    There is no way I would put mineral oil in a car I own.
    Synthetic is heaps better. Unfortunately synthetic oil was not around in 1975 and earlier.
    Good luck. David

Sent from my LG-K520 using aussiefrogs mobile app

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Citquery View Post
    Was this the der Franzose article you referred to JBN: https://www.franzose.de/en/News/PaNa...rig-schwierig- ? (There's an English language version.)
    Yes, that was the article.

John

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Caisson View Post
    There is no way I would put mineral oil in a car I own.
    Synthetic is heaps better. Unfortunately synthetic oil was not around in 1975 and earlier.
    Good luck. David

Sent from my LG-K520 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    A good friend of mine and President of the local car club works for an important transmission manufacturer, Tremec, and is in charge of tecnical things... and he also insists I should use mineral, so lately that is what I have been doing, though I read at forums that our old cars should use older type of oils which include zinc.

You read a lot in favor, but also agains... so, who knows...

In North America there are several synthetic oils with high zinc for engines with flat tappet cams like the DS. Amzoil Z-Rod 20W-50 and Royal Purple to name two. Brad Penn 20W-50 is also high zinc in a part synthetic. Lucas Oil has a mineral 20W-50 with high zinc..
    Cheers,
    John T.

Tadpole

Thank you, John. I will have to check what is available locally. Hope to find something adequate... synthetic, 20W50 and with high zinc content.

Victor

Thread Information