Advice on setting the fingers on a DS 3 finger clutch
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerrypro

Thread: Advice on setting the fingers on a DS 3 finger clutch

Fellow Frogger!

Default Advice on setting the fingers on a DS 3 finger clutch

Can I have some advice please on setting up the clutch on my 1968 Citroen DS21? It has the 3 finger clutch. (nine pink springs all the same). How do I set the clutch finger height please? Where do I measure from and to? Do I measure it with the clutch sitting on a flat surface? If so, what should it be?

I've sat it on a sheet of toughened glass for a flat surface.Two fingers are set at the same height, one is way off. the others. Don't know if any of them are right!

Advice on setting the fingers on a DS 3 finger clutch-img_7199-copy.jpg

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advice on setting the fingers on a DS 3 finger clutch-img_7199.jpg   Advice on setting the fingers on a DS 3 finger clutch-img_7199-copy.jpg  
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Similar in operation to a Light 15 pressure plate. They are best adjusted under load with the friction plate installed and bolted to the flywheel. The problem then becomes as where to obtain a constant reference point for the finger depth. In a traction one can fit the bell housing and set one finger so that it contacts the thrust race face. then one would remove the bell housing and using a depth gauge facility of a Vernier gauge set the other fingers to match the first. This is more difficult in a DS/ID because there is no access through the bell housing.
    My approach would be to assemble the flywheel friction plate and pressure plate and do the straight edge Vernier check across the spring retainer caps to the finger contact points and see if there is any variation under load. The odd finger eight ( if it still exists under load ) can then be adjusted.
    shanadoo likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information