Xantia Vent-fan
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Xantia Vent-fan

Tadpole

Default Xantia Vent-fan

Anyone out there had any experience with intermittent operation of the Xantia's cabin ventilation fan? My 95 VSX's fan switches itself on and off (but mostly off) and an initial exploration of the control gear behind the dash hasn't revealed any obvious problem. An operating fan for winter would be a bonus.

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RickBarr
    Anyone out there had any experience with intermittent operation of the Xantia's cabin ventilation fan? My 95 VSX's fan switches itself on and off (but mostly off) and an initial exploration of the control gear behind the dash hasn't revealed any obvious problem. An operating fan for winter would be a bonus.
    Yep,

just about anyone that has owned a Xantia has had this problem.

You will probably have found the ignition key used to get quite hot, this is due to the demister fan current being pulled through the igniton switch (brilliant bit of design work there ). Of coures the contacts in the ignition burn ...

Some with many $$$ replace the ignition switch and get another few years out of it... The fan is extremely easy to access, drop the felt cover down from the passenger footwell (several torx head screws) and run a new power wire to the fan, I think mine is fed from the cigarette lighter.

Simple easy and free fix

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Icon5 Rewire of Demister Fan

Thanx for the prompt advice...so if I give the demister fan a new current source, say from the cigarette lighter, does that leave me with a problem with the ignition switch or are the burnt contacts just the part of the switch that used to supply the current for the fan motor??

Quote Originally Posted by RickBarr
    Rick,

There is an official Citroen modification, in a dealer instruction, to fit a relay between ignition switch and the fan. I've had this done by Mark Dyson at Euromotice for peace of mind. He knows exactly where Citroen intended it to be put. In fairness, Corrado at Eurocare presumably knows too.

Oh, and Craig's right - you'll need that new switch too! It is a switch and short loom that fits into the back of the lock part of the ignition switch assembly.

Cheers

JohnW

(Which one did you buy?)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The only advice I can give is my car works perfectly, and one simply length of wire is vastly cheaper than new ignition switches ....

A relay of course is a good idea, but it's way to late once the contacts in the ignition have burnt Why didn't they perform the relay fix to all Xantias while they were still in there warranty period if there's an 'official fix' out there

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    The only advice I can give is my car works perfectly, and one simply length of wire is vastly cheaper than new ignition switches ....

A relay of course is a good idea, but it's way to late once the contacts in the ignition have burnt Why didn't they perform the relay fix to all Xantias while they were still in there warranty period if there's an 'official fix' out there

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Shane,

Fair comment! I was just being pedantic and doing the official fix. I had a replacement ignition switch fitted under my secondhand car warranty.

Now, why didn't they fix it? Well, my understanding is that Citroen put the word out internally and presumably modified cars that came in for service. My car (1995, registered in 1996) was never serviced by the S**B dealer from which it was supplied (oddly, there aren't many Xantias in Perth!!!) and would never have been seen and therefore not done. The later ones may have been OK - with the relay as standard equipment I presume, but I don't know.

The Perth dealer maintains there isn't a problem....... I asked. Sigh....

Cheers

JohnW

Thread Information