12v Air concompressors.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast

Thread: 12v Air concompressors.

Tadpole

Default 12v Air concompressors.

I am putting a/c into my DS21 EFI BVH and want to put in a12v compressor. has any one ekse done it? At present I'm looking at AUTOFROSTS ---any one any thoughts on it. Thanks Allan

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

I have done it, but not with a 12 V compressor. On any EFI BVH the only place That won’t require you to move everything to accommodate the factory location is in place of the alternator with your alternator mounted atop the compressor. A sander SD 508 works perfectly here and you don’t need a 3 groove water pump
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Hello, the 12v compressors simply haven't got enough oomph. Have at look at John's previous posts showing his arrangement.

This lot
    https://www.adrad.co.uk/car/air-conditioning/
    are close to you. They supplied all the parts for my installation except the evaporator. Seemed very knowledgeable and friendly. I dealt with Mark.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

FWIW, here is a pretty recent installation (DS23 EFI BVH by Andy Daley) using the brackets I designed.

12v Air concompressors.-sd508-ds-efi-bvh-1-.jpg
    12v Air concompressors.-sd508-ds-efi-bvh-2-.jpg
    dsvitesse1 likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

I dug into this a while back and the major problem with the 12V compressors is how much power they draw for their output. Most of them were designed for use in electric vehicles where 36 & 48V is readily available. Assuming we are looking at the same autofrost compressor, at 12V the current draw is 27-54A depending on compressor speed. A standard DS alternator is rated at 40A so by them time you add the 10A or so required for the EFI system and another 10A for all the fans, your alternator will be woefully under powered. You may wish to factor an alternator upgrade into the budget for the project.

Hello, another problem is that 12v electric compressors only provide maximum 2500 watts of cooling. Most car evaporators can provide 6 to 8000 watts of cooling. No point in going to all the effort if the cooling effect is feeble.

I'd go for John's mounting solution. Plus I would mount the condenser in the well of the boot floor. Make holes in the boot floor, swage the edges, cut ventilation holes in the upper half of the well, fit a fan and then finish off with a false floor. Plumbing along the sills. This way, you can use a generic condenser which are cheap as chips, rather than having them made to measure to fit the front wings. On my Safari, I'll be losing the stapontins (no loss there) to the same effect.

Have fun

Peter

Thread Information