Cit C5X7 hydraulics.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: Cit C5X7 hydraulics.

Default Cit C5X7 hydraulics.

Yesterday I jacked up the car to remove the front drivers side wheel. The suspension was in the normal setting.
    I did what I had to do (replace a cv boot band) and let the car down. Instead of going back to the normal level the car went lower and I was unable to remove the jack. So, I started the car and selected a higher level. After what seems a long time, the car came up to normal and all was OK. However this made me wonder- 1. Have I done something wrong or 2. Is the hydraulic oil level as it should be. As far as I am aware NO maintenance has been carried out on the suspension. Is it one of those "sealed for life"systems. The car has done 140,000km.
    Allan

Advertisement

Seems normal the mk1 C5s do the same thing....many times I've had the trolley jack stuck underneath the car.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    Yesterday I jacked up the car to remove the front drivers side wheel. The suspension was in the normal setting.
    I did what I had to do (replace a cv boot band) and let the car down. Instead of going back to the normal level the car went lower and I was unable to remove the jack. So, I started the car and selected a higher level. After what seems a long time, the car came up to normal and all was OK. However this made me wonder- 1. Have I done something wrong or 2. Is the hydraulic oil level as it should be. As far as I am aware NO maintenance has been carried out on the suspension. Is it one of those "sealed for life"systems. The car has done 140,000km.
    Allan
    I always set the car to max height, then use the jack to lift wheel off the ground, strategically place an axle stand and remove the jack. When finished working, use the jack to lift and remove the stand, lower car back onto wheels.

Cheers
    Chris
    jaahn likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Allan,

I presume you jacked it up at the front on the side where you were playing with the CV Joint using the jack that came with the car?

The front wheel would have dropped, and the car would have thought it is higher than it should be so started releasing pressure in the front suspension to lower the car. However, the car wouldn't drop because of the jack so it release all the pressure and there would have been a lot of weight on the jack. When you lowered it manually, it then sensed it was lower that normal road height and would have started pumping LDS back into the front suspension. It took a while because it had to repressurise all the front suspension spheres.

Cheers, Ken

Thank everyone. Is there a maintenance program for the suspension. Oil change etc.

1000+ Posts

No maintenance. There are procedures for draining, refilling, fixing etc.

1000+ Posts

First thing to be aware of is to always raise suspension to high before jacking. Xantia scissor jacks are designed with that in mind - a much taller base than normal, with a shorter than normal lifting range.

Also set suspension to high before allowing anyone to lift the car with a hoist that will leave the wheels hanging with no weight on them.

I'll let those with knowledge of C5s explain what (if any) hydraulic system maintenance is required...

Cheers

Alec

Thread Information