• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ceenine
  • 2 Post By dieselman
  • 2 Post By qcom29

Thread: c5 x7 skittish :/

Tadpole

Default c5 x7 skittish :/

Hi Folks, I have a 2010 C5 x7. It has 126K. Im hoping i can tap in to the braintrust and wealth of personal experience here on Aussie frogs. The rear end suspension is on the wonk. If i hit a bump with either rear wheel the car jerks to the side. It dosnt happen if both rear wheel hit a bump together. I have read on the interweb various potential reasons for this, from needing a rear wheel alignment to rear bushes needing replacement. Can any one help out. I have had a 4 wheel - wheel alignment but it has not made any difference. Could it be the bushes ? and has anyone had the same experience ? Cheers Qcom29

Advertisement

Tadpole

I had the same problem with a 306 sedan. I put it down to the springs being worn out and too weak to push the trailing arms back down fast enough before the body fell to meet the height.

Does the suspension get a workout where you drive?

I hope this helps somewhat.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

1000+ Posts

No springs in a hydraulic C5. There is toe-in adjustment at the rear which may be out, and a truckload of bushes in the multilink suspension, one of which may be shot. Check the roll bar bushes too while it's hoisted.

It isn't normal behaviour.

Default Do you have hydraulic suspension?

Hi - I also would say this but I believe (could be wrong - frequently am) that there were some C5 x7 models with standard i.e non hydraulic suspension. If it is hydraulic then maybe a sphere has gone (they go hard Im told) but I'm sure the brains trust here will know better than I. FWIW - my '09 C5 estate (hydraulic) heading for 150km without an issue.

Keep us posted!

Hi Qcom,

Welcome to the forum. I certainly noticed this trait when I bought my new C5X7 back in 2009 but I had been used to Xantias, BXs and other Cits that use the trailing arm suspension that has little lateral movement through the suspension range. This multilink system that is used on many modern Peugeots and Cits does seem to twitch when you hit a pothole with a rear wheel and there is a loss of contact with the road. That said, I don't seem to notice it any more when driving the car. Maybe there are less potholes around but I doubt that. Maybe the type of tyres fitted affect how much twitch is transmitted. All I can suggest is that you get the bushes checked (mine are all original at 170kkm) and the toe in-out setting checked on the rear suspension at various suspension heights and if that is OK maybe try not to hit potholes and get used to it.

Cheers, Ken

Tadpole

Thanks folks for your responses. The car is hydro x7 version. Definatly not a normal reaction for a car, the sideways movement is rather violent in some cases. Ive had bout 30 odd citroens over the years, never experienced this sort of movement in any of them. cheers Qcom29

1000+ Posts

Here are the rear alignment figures, if that helps.
    c5 x7 skittish :/-screenshot-2.jpg

See my post of 12 (?) months ago
    qcom29 likes this.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

I had one that had exactly the same symptoms that you describe. Unfortunately I never did get to the bottom of the cause. Research on the web turned up other reports of the same thing, so I came to the conclusion that it wasn’t an isolated occurance.

Rear wheel toe adjustment, even if slightly out will cause this behaviour.
    Are your rear tyres wearing evenly? If not, your alignment may be out.
    I use a Track Ace laser aligner and with a bit of mucking about, it is possible to align the rear wheels.
    Time consuming to get right, but I have never had such perfect tyre wear, front & rear. Fuel consumption has dropped slightly too.
    jaahn and qcom like this.
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

Tadpole

Hi Folks. Just to cap this off. I changed the rear tyres ( they were originally on the front and had worn very badly on the outer edge due to stuffed bushes at the front end). Anyways i got the front bushes changed ( no change in the skttish behaviour - as expected) and then got new tyres to the rear and got a 4 wheel alignment. Hey presto all fixed.
    thanks eveyone for your input
    Cheers
    seasink and Boyracer like this.

Thread Information