Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fritzelhund

Thread: C5 X7 depollution warning light

Default C5 X7 depollution warning light

Anyone know what this indicates ?

Advertisement
    Nostalgia.....aahh It's not what it used to be

1000+ Posts

Just about anything that doesn't have a specific message in the display, but affects the exhaust cleanliness, unfortunately.

If you can get to a Diagbox, you can read the codes, and then zero in on the likely system. Even a generic reader can read and reset any OBD error codes. If a code keeps returning there is something to investigate.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dayofthejackal View Post
    Anyone know what this indicates ?
    From my experience it probably means the diesel particulate filter is approaching a state where it will soon allow limp home speed only. It may also show "speed control faulty" ... which means the throttle may not respond.... ie limp home mode. IF it does happen it is possible to drive the car as a rather gutless manual that will allow some progress until you can give it the "italian tune up". Leave it in Drive and it won't allow any real progress.
    Time to give it a good hot highway run to "burn off" the collected stuff in the DPF.

If so inclined a forced regeneration can be initiated but that requires software. A forced regeneration is a frightful experience if you don't know what to expect. The computer will get the engine to operating temperature, then rev it to about 4000 revs for approx 20 minutes ... lots of smoke and huge noise from the diesel engine under no load .... then it will return it to normal idle speed. Process complete. There is a sensor upstream and downstream of the DPF and when a pressure difference is noted the onboard computer usually does a "burn"....a forced regeneration must be done on a concrete road as the heat generated can melt a tar surface. You Tube has lots of clips about DPF regeneration and the warning signs and dashboard logos used by other manufacturers. If a regeneration is in progress it is advised to not turn the engine off until it is completed.

1000+ Posts

The OP has a 6 cylinder, if my memory is ok. A regen necessity is a possibility, but I have always had a specific message for a near blocked FAP.

The normal regeneration is every few hundred km, provided you are driving steadily at moderate speed without interruption, hence the usual 'go for a motorway drive' recommendation. It isn't something that can be initiated in Sydney traffic, as the hot exhaust and engine rev requirement isn't safe. The Italian version isn't necessary, as it doesn't have to be overly fast.

I have cleared mine by taking a trip at uniform speed to just over the Peats Ferry bridge where there is a return lane, and coming back. The view is pleasant and it doesn't take long. I regularly use the shorter M2 and find that the regen actually occurs on the Windsor Rd if I get a traffic-light free run!

UFO

Take it for a fang to Leura and back.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Take it for a fang to Leura and back.
    "FANG" is that Strine for "Italian tune up" ?
    UFO likes this.

1000+ Posts

Not really most of the day. It would be a trip across the width of Sydney to Parramatta, then a run on the congested M4 accompanied by radar and highway patrol, then a slower run up the mountains.

I look back with nostalgia when I could break the ton on the Newcastle road. I survived too....

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    "FANG" is that Strine for "Italian tune up" ?
    Yep!

But a run on the M4 at 100/110 (zone dependent) then the climb up the Blue Mountains would be plenty to get everything nicely heated and burned off.

The only time we have seen the DP alert on ours was early on when we lived in inner west Sydney and the car was rarely driven during the week and mostly local running on the weekends - which is when we saw the alert maybe twice. That was at least nine years and 235k km ago.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information