DS20 gearbox - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: DS20 gearbox

Hello, I daren't bore my wife with my latest creation, so you lot will have to suffer...

Advertisement

The Citroen manuals show an open ended spanner to remove the input shaft bearing with no indication of how to re-tighten to its specified torque.

Here is the socket I made from a track rod end socket and some 'gauge plate' or tool steel. I'm still waiting for the bearing, then I'll see how good my welding is.

forumnoreason likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Keep us posted - that's meant to be a hefty nut to undo......
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Looks pretty good. Here is one that I got from some fellow in Germany years ago (for a 5-speed). You will still have to come up with a way to keep the transmission itself from moving. Do NOT use a pipe inserted into the speedometer socket. The wall will not take the stress. As I mentioned earlier, a pipe bolted across the top of the open transmission in place of the cover plate worked for me.

..DS20 gearbox-speedo-nut-wrench.jpg
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    I'm refitting my clutch and need an alignment tool. As peter says, a spigot shaft is ideal. A rather optimistic question:

I have a spare gearbox I can use bits from: will the spigot shaft disengage from the circle and the input shaft if I give it a sharp tug? In other words is the circlip just acting as a locking or locating ring? If so, can the spigot shaft be shoved back into it's correct place afetr removal?

Alternatively, would i need to dive into the box to remove the circlip?
    I have successfully pulled the input shaft with a slide hammer. That act will often destroy the circlip, but you may not care. Stand the transmission on end and dribble a little oil down the shaft first. I believe inside part of the input shaft is solid, so I don't think tearing down the transmission will help anyway.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Looks pretty good. Here is one that I got from some fellow in Germany years ago (for a 5-speed). You will still have to come up with a way to keep the transmission itself from moving. Do NOT use a pipe inserted into the speedometer socket. The wall will not take the stress. As I mentioned earlier, a pipe bolted across the top of the open transmission in place of the cover plate worked for me.
    Hello, I used your system. A four foot pipe bolted to the gearbox case and a milled down spanner extended with another four foot pipe. I did remember to tap back the edge of the nut where it is peened into the shaft. It didn't really have any say in the matter!

That is a nice socket, looks fully machined from billet. I went the lazier, cheapskate route!

The other option is to loosen the nut while the box is still in the car.... this is how I've done it in the past.
    John - do you still have the contact for that socket - it's a beauty...
    Cheers,
    Mark...

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    John - do you still have the contact for that socket - it's a beauty...
    Cheers,
    Mark...
    I sent you a p.m. with what I remember...
    Cheers,
    John T.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information