• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By fritzelhund

Thread: D windscreen - bonnet off?

Default D windscreen - bonnet off?

Hi all
    Does the bonnet have to come off to replace the windscreen?

Steve

Advertisement

Replacing a D windscreen is such a fiddly job that trying to do it without removing the bonnet would amplify the risk of a stuff-up. Lining up screen, rubber and opening just so is not easy and if you twist the glass you run the risk of cracking it. I'd say it's another example of my D repair rule that to ensure easy access it is always worth removing more components than you think necessary.

Roger
    UFO and Vincenzo like this.

Hello, sorry to be contrary, I've replaced two without removing the bonnet. Taking it out I did by myself, refitting needed two of us. And the new (Der Franzose) rubber started to crack in the corners within weeks, that's why I've taken it out twice, the second lot of rubber is no better.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Replacing a D windscreen is such a fiddly job that trying to do it without removing the bonnet would amplify the risk of a stuff-up. Lining up screen, rubber and opening just so is not easy and if you twist the glass you run the risk of cracking it. I'd say it's another example of my D repair rule that to ensure easy access it is always worth removing more components than you think necessary.

Roger
    It is so easy to remove a D bonnet why would you not ?
    It will be easy to replace in the exact position just by looking at the dirt or witness marks. They are not even particularly heavy. Remove the hinges from the body ( not the alloy bonnet from the hinge ) and you get a ready made base for propping the bonnet up against a wall and won't even scratch the paint on the corners. Tie the bonnet so it cannot fall or be blown over.
    Getting a D screen to seal "should" be easy. In practice the big rubber flap at the bottom inside needs to be well packed out or wind will make water bubble upwards from below. The 2 miserable clamps are a bit crude and the small central attachment equally poor ... The Rover method of achieving the same result was far better engineered as it used adjustable push rod bolts to wedge the glass into the aperture.
    Vincenzo likes this.

Thread Information