Outer CV joint boots.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Outer CV joint boots.

Yesterday I had some HIPPO RED CV boots fitted by my regular mechanic. The ones on the car had split.
    The chap fitting them was not impressed by this type of boot. However he had not seen this brand before.
    The actual joint in the boot can be likened to a dovetail wood joint. There is a Locktite adhesive with a rubber additive that is applied to the grooved side and the other side is pushed into place and held for 5 minutes. The glue allows the joint to flex. No other glue should be used. Simple to fit and saves a lot of time. Thats why I was interested. I ordered them from Italy because they do not have a distributor here yet.
    Interesting, from dispatch of the goods to me receiving them at my door took only 6 days.
    Allan.

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    Yesterday I had some HIPPO RED CV boots fitted by my regular mechanic. The ones on the car had split.
    The chap fitting them was not impressed by this type of boot. However he had not seen this brand before.
    The actual joint in the boot can be likened to a dovetail wood joint. There is a Locktite adhesive with a rubber additive that is applied to the grooved side and the other side is pushed into place and held for 5 minutes. The glue allows the joint to flex. No other glue should be used. Simple to fit and saves a lot of time. Thats why I was interested. I ordered them from Italy because they do not have a distributor here yet.
    Interesting, from dispatch of the goods to me receiving them at my door took only 6 days.
    Allan.
    I did the 407 a couple of months back. I ordered in boots from ebay uk specific for the car (one day I must try to stop being a tightarse)............. and bloody "stretch boots" turned up in the post. They are VERY flexible. I just gave the outer joint a heavy whack and it falls off so you can fit the new boots Much easier than messing around trying not to contaminate the glue and rubber with grease!

Do you have the details of the boots you used They sound perfect for early DS driveshaft joints

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hello Shane. If you google Hippo Red there is a video that shows how to fit them. They are assembled around the drive shaft (make sure the shaft is clean), away from the old boot and glued there. After they set (5 mins) the old boot is cut away, the joint cleaned, then grease from the sachet supplied is squeezed into the new boot. The boot is then slid over the CV and fixed using the ties supplied.
    I have used the "stretch" type. They do not last long.
    The boots were 37Euro. Unfortunately the freight was the same price. All up it came to about $120 .

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    Hello Shane. If you google Hippo Red there is a video that shows how to fit them. They are assembled around the drive shaft (make sure the shaft is clean), away from the old boot and glued there. After they set (5 mins) the old boot is cut away, the joint cleaned, then grease from the sachet supplied is squeezed into the new boot. The boot is then slid over the CV and fixed using the ties supplied.
    I have used the "stretch" type. They do not last long.
    The boots were 37Euro. Unfortunately the freight was the same price. All up it came to about $120 .
    Interesting. I don't like that 4wd fitting. You can see the boot is molded to match the shape of the non-round 'cv joint. I'm sure it'll be fine on the c5 though (the 'cv joint is round).

It looks like the perfect boot for the early DS's ... If they supply a big enough boot!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Biggest 90mm

Thread Information