C4 - oil leak on ?supercharger?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C4 - oil leak on ?supercharger?

Hi there.
    Great forum.
    I hope folks might be able to provide some information. When I opened the bonnet today to clean out some leaves, I say that there were signs of oil leaking on the part of the engine, as per photo, below. I'm not sure what part this is - is it the super charger?
    But I'd be keen for some advice on what the issue might be and how expensive it might be to fix. The car is a little overdue for a service (due at 170,000 - last one at 160,000)
    The car is a C4, HDi Diesel, bought new in 2008. It has done 172,000 KM with no trouble - just tyres and a battery. I really like the car and do not want to let it go.
    Thanks for reading and thanks for your time.
    A

Name:  C4_HDI_Engine.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  49.5 KB

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Welcome to AF. That is the turbo charger. You can see the inlet side, the exhaust side is under the heatshield. The oil-fed bearing lies between. If you slip the hose off you can see the turbine blades.

There's an expensive history with this engine and turbo when the inappropriate low ash oil grade is used, or changes are insufficient. Hopefully it's only the external oil supply piping to the bearing that comes up from below and/or joints leaking. Clean it, run it, get a mirror and have a close look.
    Last edited by seasink; 13th June 2018 at 07:17 PM.

Check that you donít have number one injector loose looks like a bit of oil at the top of photo

Tadpole

Hi folks
    Thanks heaps for the advice. I am not mechanically minded and so am grateful - particularly that the gadget in the photo is th supercharger. Google is your friend, kind of.
    I have always had it serviced either by dealer of a service centre folks seem to thing OK, and so hoped they used the recommended oils.
    I've booked it in and will have it in serviced next week I hope.
    Is it OK to drive it until then - or am I going to damage the engine?
    Thanks for your reading and your advice.
    A

Thread Information