1975 D Special air cleaner and cooling
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 1975 D Special air cleaner and cooling

Hi experts,
    I will start with the air cleaner first. After a long run I find that oil collects in the base of the air cleaner to the extent that, on heavy braking or on a reasonable slope, the oil runs out of the air intake and the predictable clouds of oily smoke come out from under the bonnet. Any ideas why so much oil accumulates?

Secondly. On what pressure does the cooling system operate? Is it 4psi as I suspect?

and for those with a temperature gauge fitted. Where should I see the needle at normal running temperature? Is it in the middle of the solid white area or elsewhere?

Amid

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Have you recently acquired the car or has someone serviced it for you?

I'm not sure about Aussie specs and different parts used, but for the European cars - and I'm talking here about post 1966 cars - the flat, disc shaped air filter is cleaned by sloshing it out in petrol and then (when it's all evaporated) dipping the filter in oil. But you are meant to drain all the excess oil off first! Could that be it? Alternatively, it might be that someone has simply poured extra oil over the filter in situ as an attempt to clean it?

Alternatively, there is a little rubber 'dalek' domed cover on you rocker cover. That has a small feed pipe into the air cleaner. Is oil getting in that way? Have you maybe over-filled your oil?
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Amid View Post
    Hi experts,
    I will start with the air cleaner first. After a long run I find that oil collects in the base of the air cleaner to the extent that, on heavy braking or on a reasonable slope, the oil runs out of the air intake and the predictable clouds of oily smoke come out from under the bonnet. Any ideas why so much oil accumulates?

Secondly. On what pressure does the cooling system operate? Is it 4psi as I suspect?

and for those with a temperature gauge fitted. Where should I see the needle at normal running temperature? Is it in the middle of the solid white area or elsewhere?

Amid
    The air cleaner is a wet with oil type but it should not be dripping. I would be removing the base of the air cleaner and check the base as they are known to fatigue crack where the base dish attaches to the exhaust manifold. If the element is over oiled and it drips into the base a sudden stop could be sending the drained oil onto the exhaust. A little oil goes a long way and smokes a lot.
    The temperature gauges are ... vague ... while the white bar is in theory the safe zone don't be surprised if your normal running temperature is at the hot end of the white bar. The fuel gauges are equally inaccurate and are not to be trusted greatly at the lower end of the scale.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Amid View Post
    Hi experts,

Amid
    amid. I agree with the comments re over oiling of the filter. It should be wet not dripping. I decided a couple of years ago to move to a paper filter. I got it from a US Nissan which I was told would fit. It fit perfectly and with the moderate mileage the car does should last a fair while. You will have to do a search to figure out which Nissan it came from. The only thing you need to do is silicone off a couple of small holes that are not needed in a cit

Tadpole

I recently experienced the same problem. Found oil dripping from under the air cleaner onto the hot manifold creating lots of smoke.
    Not a nice feeling. You will probably find a crack as mentioned above.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    amid. I agree with the comments re over oiling of the filter. It should be wet not dripping. I decided a couple of years ago to move to a paper filter. I got it from a US Nissan which I was told would fit. It fit perfectly and with the moderate mileage the car does should last a fair while. You will have to do a search to figure out which Nissan it came from. The only thing you need to do is silicone off a couple of small holes that are not needed in a cit
    Back in the mid 1990's I discovered that the "frisbee" filter from the following cars fit. You have to fashion a couple of plugs from a PVC nipple or the like to close the two mounting holes on the filter. These are USA cars, but should cross reference to something available locally.

1990 Nissan Sentra/Pulsar 1.6L Fuel Injected engine. (Purolator AF 4626; Fram CA6619; Nissan 16546-84A10; Deutsch A1157) Also K&N E-9191 (fits 1990 DAIHATSU APPLAUSE 1.6L L4 CARB - All - Daihatsu P/N 17801-87717)
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Thread Information