ID 19 volt metre/temp gauge conversion
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default ID 19 volt metre/temp gauge conversion

Hi all
    Whilst I have my instrument cluster out of my 69 Transition dash ID I was wondering if I could rewire the volt meter into a temp gauge. Logic being that a temp gauge way more vital than a voltage gauge. Esp as there is a battery/charging warning light anyway. I know it has been done on later clusters using a fuel gauge, I guess it comes down to the required resistance of the instrument to match the sender and the resistance of my old school voltage/charge instrument. I am aware I'll need to get the sender as well but first things first.
    Merci

Advertisement
    Last edited by 2bxornot2bx; 10th June 2018 at 07:08 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Sooo. Assuming the fuel tank senders between earlier and late dash models are the same and thus the fuel gauge resistance would be similar too.... I decided to measure across my fuel gauge and volt metre. I achieved a reliable 136 ohms across the volt metre and 147 across the fuel gauge. About a 7% difference. Given the overall vagueness of the readings gauges anyway I think 7%out is probably doable. May even be able to smooth out the result with a 10ohm resistor. Anyway. All just thoughts. Am I spitting into the wind with my logic. ?🙃

So, you have a voltmeter in the place of the temp gauge?
    Consider that CitroŽn-Andrť sells a NOS/OEM one for some Ä60.

Having considered that :-), converting the voltmeter is probably doable.
    Personally I would get a sender, a 12V supply and a pot of hot water to experiment with it.

Fellow Frogger!

That is a picture of what I currently have. I am actually assuming it's a volt meter. Are you telling me it's already a temp gauge ?

Fellow Frogger!

Ok. So I checked the link. Well there you go. It's already a temp gauge. Guess that's why I have a volt warning light !!!

Fellow Frogger!

And thanks for the Citroen Andre link. Look like they have some useful bits n pieces

Yeah, the trouble with Citroen Andre Pol is getting them to find the parts and then getting them to send them to the other end of the world. Grrrrrr.

Cheers, Ken

Thread Information