• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UFO

Thread: CX not starting...

Tadpole

Default CX not starting...

here i am again...

the cx refuses to start. here is a brief recount of recent happenings in this arena.

first, i collect it from the panel shop. it had been sitting for a while (~2 months) and ran out of petrol, and so i replaced the fuel filter to avoid sludge and pottered on. ran very happily for a few weeks after.

then, i take it for a roadworthy. just when all was well, the car decides to stop and refuses to start or run smoothly. i hadn't had a problem with this beforehand.

Advertisement

once i finally got it home, it wouldn't start again. charged the battery, same result. waited a few days, and it started just fine and then stopped. wouldn't run unless i gave it obscene amounts of throttle and choke, despite it being warmed up (the fans were on).

now it refuses to start at all. checked & cleaned plugs, ignition rotor and cap contacts cleaned, hit everything with a rubber mallet, nothing seems to be helping.

checked inside the carb, there is certainly fuel delivery and all looks clean.

please forgive my mechanical novicehood, but this is the best place i could think of for asking the question.

thanks!

-max.
    79 cx2400 pallas c-matic

UFO

It will be electrical. The old rule of thumb, proven many times, "if you think it's fuel it'll be electrical and if you think electrical it'll be fuel". I provided this advice via Facebook to a guy in the UK having DS troubles last week and it worked.

UFO

Search for loose or worn wires to the distributor and coil is my first suggestion.

Hi Max,

Did you check the points gap is OK? Check the gap when the rubbing block is on the crown of the points cam. It should be about 0.4mm from memory. While the points are open, turn on the ignition and see if there are 12 volts on the points lead from the distributor. If not check back at the distributor on both sides for 12 volts. There could be a resistor in series with the coil too.

Turn off the ignition and turn the motor until the points are closed and check there are almost 0 volts on the points lead, 12 on the coil if no resistor or 6 or so if there is a resistor.

If still OK and no start, try disconnecting the condensor/capacitor on the distributor and try it again. If it starts, replace the capacitor when you can or else the points will wear out very quickly.

Report back your results or problems you encounter when trying to do this.

Cheers, Ken

Thread Information