Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 5 Post By UFO
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood
  • 2 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By JohnW

Thread: Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?

UFO

Default Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?

Many years ago circa 2000 I suppose, Deb and I stopped and visited Claude Cassegrain at Expressway Spares at Wauchope (Near Port Macquarie) to inspect the four Traction Avants and three (?) Avion Voisons that were stored in the massive garage of the family home.

We spent an interesting few hours with Claude carefully stepping around the issue of the family disputes regarding the estate being dispersed whilst admiring the cars and thinking about who and how people may eventually buy the cars. The father had apparently bought four tractions over the years with the idea that there was one each for the two daughters and two sons.

We also assisted Claude in enjoying a VERY nice bottle of +15 year old Semillon that he collected out of the cellar of the house. We were only going to have one glass, but there was enough for another glass each so we stayed and helped.

Anyway, I know that the next year one of the Voisons went to auction and was passed in at the Sydney Motor Show, but I never heard any more of the Tractions.

Advertisement

We drove back down the Pacific Hwy on our way home from Cit In and we both wondered "What ever happened to those Tractions?"

Does anyone know, or even better, does anyone on here own one or more of the cars?

Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Many years ago circa 2000 I suppose, Deb and I stopped and visited Claude Cassegrain at Expressway Spares at Wauchope (Near Port Macquarie) to inspect the four Traction Avants and three (?) Avion Voisons that were stored in the massive garage of the family home.

We spent an interesting few hours with Claude carefully stepping around the issue of the family disputes regarding the estate being dispersed whilst admiring the cars and thinking about who and how people may eventually buy the cars. The father had apparently bought four tractions over the years with the idea that there was one each for the two daughters and two sons.

We also assisted Claude in enjoying a VERY nice bottle of +15 year old Semillon that he collected out of the cellar of the house. We were only going to have one glass, but there was enough for another glass each so we stayed and helped.

Anyway, I know that the next year one of the Voisons went to auction and was passed in at the Sydney Motor Show, but I never heard any more of the Tractions.

We drove back down the Pacific Hwy on our way home from Cit In and we both wondered "What ever happened to those Tractions?"

Does anyone know, or even better, does anyone on here own one or more of the cars?
    I know of Alex and John Cassegrain , who I think still operate a winery near Port Macquarie. Most likely related to Claude, but don't know about the Tractions...
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    I know of Alex and John Cassegrain , who I think still operate a winery near Port Macquarie. Most likely related to Claude, but don't know about the Tractions...
    Yes they are related. AFAIK the land that is now the vineyard was part of the estate that was acrimoniously split up.

Tadpole

now that's very interesting - I had heard that there were some Voisins in Australia, but never come across them.

Gabriel Voisin was of course a mentor to Andre Lefebvre - both had aeronautical training, which they then applied to front-wheel drive motor cars. Lefebvre was designer and test driver and engineer, racing the cars with some success.

I'd LOVE to see even one - does anyone know where any might be? Probably best to PM me if they're not on public viewing...

UFO

We've got some photos somewhere. Maybe I can find them over the weekend.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Just to add a bit of Cassigrain family information ! I went to school with one of them, Claude, for a bit. When the old man was alive he setup the spare parts business for tractors which has now morphed into Expressway Spares which is BIG business across the highway from the vineyard he also got going, I believe while they had a dairy farm.
    But the family had a bustup afterwards when the money became available and they went different ways. But they did not play it out in public acrimony like some do and spend it all on lawyers. My bet is the cars are in a shed there somewhere.
    Hmm after a Google I might say there appears to be a case which went to the supreme court and has made some legal precedence and involves fraud. The history of the winery family may have been airbrushed a bit too I would think !!
    Jaahn
    http://www.expressway.com.au/
    Last edited by jaahn; 9th June 2018 at 10:29 AM.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    Just to add a bit of Cassigrain family information ! I went to school with one of them, Claude, for a bit. When the old man was alive he setup the spare parts business for tractors which has now morphed into Expressway Spares which is BIG business across the highway from the vineyard he also got going, I believe while they had a dairy farm.
    But the family had a bustup afterwards when the money became available and they went different ways. But they did not play it out in public acrimony like some do and spend it all on lawyers. My bet is the cars are in a shed there somewhere.
    Hmm after a Google I might say there appears to be a case which went to the supreme court and has made some legal precedence and involves fraud. The history of the winery family may have been airbrushed a bit too I would think !!
    Jaahn
    Expressway Spares - Quality Service and Parts to the Earthmoving Industry
    Wow! I just did a google search myself. What a story! Seems we were shown around by a fraudster. It's a convoluted story and probably still brewing away consuming lots of money in legal fees.

Fellow Frogger!

Nigel, see post #11, I have seen a Voisin at V & V displays here in Coffs Harbour arranged by the Coffs Harbour Veteran & Vintage Car Club. I haven't been a member for many years but I'm sure they would be keen to help.
    https://www.facebook.com/Coffs-Harbo...99296/?fref=nf

Richard

UFO

Well it's funny what you find when you're looking for something else. The pics we took in October 2000. I google mapped the location a couple of days ago, and by my reckoning a bloody great warehouse has been built on the land that this huge garage used to be on.

Anyway, some traction and avion voison pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-maroon-3.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-maroon-1.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-maroon-2.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-maroon-5.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-maroon-4.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-red-1.jpg  

Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-maroon-6.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-red-2.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-red-4.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-red-3.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-blue-1.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-red-5.jpg  

Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-blue-3.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-red-1.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-blue-7.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-blue-5.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-blue-6.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-eng-red-6.jpg  

Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-red-2.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-blue-4.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-red-3.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-red-7.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-blue-2.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-general-1.jpg  

Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-red-4.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-voison-3.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-voison-1.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-voison-6.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-voison-5.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-voison-7.jpg  

Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-general-2.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-red-6.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-french-red-5.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-voison-4.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-voison-2.jpg  

UFO

BTW - forgive the photo quality, the camera we used was an early digital Kodak that took something like 1/2 meg pics.

Icon6

BTW - forgive the photo quality, the camera we used was an early digital Kodak that took something like 1/2 meg pics.
    Chill poppet, without you the pics wouldn't exist - ya' done good

Cheers
    Chris
    jaahn and UFO like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I have an irresistible urge to ring Citroen tomorrow and ask for a bonnet stay for my car ................... and quote the vin number as instructed
    jaahn and FIVEDOOR like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Wonderful. I want the cream Voisin please. Thanks so much for the photos.

To repeat a question, does anyone know where the Voisins are I wonder? Very special cars. Here's another, tarted up....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-voisin-interior.jpg   Whatever happened to the Cassegrain Tractions?-p2160187.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

my favorite place to lookup old cars .... Is jay lenos garage................................. But I just looked ...... and he doesn't have a voisin .... Clive Cussler certainly will as he featured an avions voisin in one of his books. I'll google it.

wow its ugly! I didn't realise ... he actually has a museum you can visit.

Cussler Museum

Jay Leno needs to make his collection a museum too ...

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

A bloody great warehouse has been built on the land that this huge garage used to be on.
    Drove past there last week ... it's still Expressway Spares:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-31....7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-31..../data=!3m1!1e3
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 196,000 km 76372389

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Wonderful. I want the cream Voisin please. Thanks so much for the photos.

To repeat a question, does anyone know where the Voisins are I wonder? Very special cars. Here's another, tarted up....
    It was the cream Voison in my pics that was in the Syd Motorshow Auction I think in 2001.

My best guess is that the cars are probably still stored somewhere that they can't be spirited away as they could still be involved in legal disputes.

Mutual Respect is Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    my favorite place to lookup old cars .... Is jay lenos garage................................. But I just looked ...... and he doesn't have a voisin .... Clive Cussler certainly will as he featured an avions voisin in one of his books. I'll google it.

wow its ugly! I didn't realise ... he actually has a museum you can visit.

Cussler Museum

Jay Leno needs to make his collection a museum too ...

seeya
    Shane L.
    It's in the eye of the beholder of course, but in pink it looks b****y awful to me. In a more sympathetic colour perhaps it would look a whole lot better......
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

It was the cream Voison in my pics that was in the Syd Motorshow Auction I think in 2001. My best guess is that the cars are probably still stored somewhere that they can't be spirited away as they could still be involved in legal disputes.
    Pity. I still want it but after we'd sold the house and I'd paid for the divorce I still couldn't afford it I imagine!
    UFO likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    What incredible timing by Auntie - how did UFO organise that?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    What incredible timing by Auntie - how did UFO organise that?
    Ahem...

FIGJAM!

Thread Information