Xantia STOP light issues
  • Register
  • Help

Default Xantia STOP light issues

I was talking to Ken the other day about this and the stop light is coming on and staying on. But.

No other warning lamps in conjunction. No LHM leaks. I think the spheres are low and I've added more LHM in dealing with a steering pipe recently.

I know the front brake pads need to be replaced very soon. But no brake lamp warning coming on.

Advertisement

Oil levels good, coolant good,

What could the issue be?

1000+ Posts

And you've checked your brake valve boot?

no but I'll give it a look, I have a replacement sitting in the glove box, I'll have to look up how to do the job. It's weird because I'll go for a drive then leave for awhile, come back and drive again and it goes out. Leave overnight and on again.

1000+ Posts

Oh - might be electrical then. I mentioned it because it is the one LHM leak that doesn't leave a tell-tale puddle on the ground - but the level in the reservoir drops until the low fluid level activates the STOP light.

A friend had a 406 (owned from new) which started randomly displaying the STOP light for no good reason - I remember because it did it while I was driving it in 2006. Wish I could tell you what caused it, but it was out of warranty, and Armidale lacked good auto-sparkies, so they lived with it. They gave it to their son, who took it to Melbourne, but I don't think he got it fixed either...

Changing brake valve boot is good maintenance practice - seems to be more of a risk of leaks with CT Turbos (more heat?). Not worth waiting till your carpet is soaked in LHM.

From memory, you need to undo nuts on cabin side to allow you to pull the brake valve unit away from the firewall. You will probably need to remove various other things to improve access. I think some claim that the boot can be replaced without undoing all the pipe unions and completely removing the unit (but you probably need to have practised fitting the boot without being able to see what you are doing).

Be aware that the return line (from brake valve back to reservoir) is dual layer. The thick inner layer goes hard and brittle and can crack/split (especially when disturbed of course), while the thin outer layer is flexible and doesn't split, thus hiding the true state of affairs. I lost quite a lot of LHM before I figured out this cunning little trap...

Cheers

Alec

thanks Alec had a look at threads regarding doing the boot and will do in situ. So this afternoon doing chores the beasty decided the light din't need to go on.

Fellow Frogger!

Check the switch in the top of the LHM reservoir, is monitors the oil level in it. So the STOP light comes on if the pressure drops but also if the oil level drops. Temporarily disconnect the 2 wires to the level switch, they pull off & see if the light goes out. If it does, then the contacts in that switch are dodgy & need fixing or replacing. I have had it happen to me, took ages to twig to it as I didn't even realise that there was a level switch. Hope this is useful

Regards

agd123

tried that first thing agd123, light stayed on, it has since started behaving though, thanks.

Thread Information