• 1 Post By skp
  • 3 Post By skp
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: C5 front seat 'collapse'

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 front seat 'collapse'

The drivers seat on a C5 has decided to play "Bouncy Castles"... getting out of the car, the seat raises about 10cm. Getting back in, it sinks on the pneumatic rams back to the normal position, but does not stay there...

Very unsettling having the seat collapse down to a lower position at any time, after it's been adjusted to a suitable driving position.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

skp

I found that this happens when one of the adjusting cables pops out of its gearbox.
    Four torx screws and a wiring connector allow removal of the seat.
    Turn it upside down on the bench and all will be revealed.

Can't remember if I took any photos when I did this a year or two ago, but will have a hunt.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

JBN

I have the same problem with my 2CV. Fortunately, if I replace the broken rubber band(s) with new ones, the seat height is restored and the view though the rear vision mirrors will reveal less sky and more vehicles.

John
    danielsydney likes this.

Nice one John. Yeah, the technology of the 2CV is way more accessible than the electric seats of the C5. If only a few new rubber bands were the solution to all our problems then motoring would be so much simpler! But if everyone embraced the 2CV there would be fewer of them for us to have so much fun with! But I digress.

Skp. I found some pictures and must revise my previous statement. I'd forgotten that the gearbox had actually fallen off the frame (screws undone over time I assume) allowing the drive cable to come out.

The drive motor and gearbox are joined by a cable assembly not unlike a speedo cable, with a squared end that plugs in to the gearbox. On my car, when it had the levitating seat syndrome, I found this weird cable thingy lying on the floor so I decided to perform a "Seatendectomy" to investigate further.

I think the photo captions are self explanatory.

Bonne Chance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 front seat 'collapse'-situ.jpg   C5 front seat 'collapse'-where-goes.jpg   C5 front seat 'collapse'-found.jpg  
    Last edited by pottsy; 6th June 2018 at 09:33 AM.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

1000+ Posts

Hi skp
    Back when I had a C5 i had a similar problem. The screws holding one of the adjusting motors or gearbox had become loose and one fell out allowing the unit to pivot and thus the seat to move a bit, or something like that. I remember that cable too but it had not fallen out.
    Note the seats are heavy as lead and I would suggest perhaps that you remove the rear seats and just tip the front one back to work on the under side, rather than remove it through the door. The screws will be on the floor. Note there are no pneumatic rams, just motors and some return springs perhaps.
    good luck Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 6th June 2018 at 09:47 AM.

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Nice one John. Yeah, the technology of the 2CV is way more accessible than the electric seats of the C5. If only a few new rubber bands were the solution to all our problems then motoring would be so much simpler! But if everyone embraced the 2CV there would be fewer of them for us to have so much fun with! But I digress.

Skp. I found some pictures and must revise my previous statement. I'd forgotten that the gearbox had actually fallen off the frame (screws undone over time I assume) allowing the drive cable to come out.

The drive motor and gearbox are joined by a cable assembly not unlike a speedo cable, with a squared end that plugs in to the gearbox. On my car, when it had the levitating seat syndrome, I found this weird cable thingy lying on the floor so I decided to perform a "Seatendectomy" to investigate further.

I think the photo captions are self explanatory.

Bonne Chance!

Having a look around for something on the back floor, I discovered a stray bolt........
    Thanks for the advice - a nice simple job for a change!!

skp
    danielsydney likes this.

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

Having a look around for something on the back floor, I discovered a stray bolt........
    Thanks for the advice - a nice simple job for a change!!

skp

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

Interesting investigation... Someone has been there before me... and put the worm drive unit in upside down! this took me a while to figure out, as I was looking for where the errant bolt had come from. I eventually found the loose drive cable and couldnt see how I could re-attach it - it was so stretched, and in an inaccessible position. I eventually pulled the drive worm off the drive peg, and realised it was incorrectly installed. In the RIGHT position, the cable sit nicely, and the retaining bolt can be fitted.
    All working now.
    Armidillo, JohnW and jaahn like this.

How much of your time, SKP, is FUFU work I wonder? That's Fixing Up F**K Ups from other people's work....
    jaahn likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

I am sure if you took the car to one of the new Inchcape Citroen garages, they would have been able to sort it out likkity split.

John
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information