DS-ID fuel sender float
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast

Thread: DS-ID fuel sender float

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS-ID fuel sender float

Okay so my D's fuel tank is back in and hooked up. I have freshened up the fuel gauge sender back from the dead. Looking for a suitable float hack that may stave off sender replacement. Any ideas ?? Would a standard wine bottle cork workish as a similar weight. Fuel gauge at best is always a bit of a crap shoot so happy to engineer a substitute even if it requires driver / fuel gauge/ level recalibration if you get my drift.

Advertisement

Try using the float from a carby , late model jap carbys have a solid plastic that can be cut and shaped to suit.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Peugeot 307 Wagon
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

if the float has a crack in it you could try glueing over it, JB weld is a handy product and cheap to have around. Fuel resistant too. I imagine a real cork might break down and turn to yuk, the 'plastic' corks might be worse.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

I have had some success with brass tank floats for a Ford Mustang. Use flux to tin the steel. Put the brass tank float into a cup of water to keep the existing solder from melting.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks everyone. Old float was well gone. Does anyone know the correct weight of the float. ? That might be a good starting point

I would say, as long as it floats (and keeps doing so)... just bend the rod so it says "empty" when you have about ten liters in it...

Pretty sure weight of the float is immaterial. What is important is whether it is sufficiently buoyant to lift the arm of the sender when floating on the surface of the gasoline. In the past, folks have used wine corks, (sometimes sealed with fuel-resistant paint), so I suspect it doesn't have to be a very large float.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

I used Plastic one. I tried to make one with brass but it was too heavy. I think lighter the better.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

I didn't try to make one out of brass, I just bought one ready-made. It works great and will never get fuel soaked.

https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Ford-Fu...el+float&psc=1

Just hit "continue to amazon"
    Cheers,
    John T.

Get it while you can!

Amazon is about to geo-block their overseas website to Australian buyers. Citing the problem of collecting GST on behalf of the ATO.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

what if you have a VPN?

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    what if you have a VPN?
    Don't know however you will certainly need a delivery agent, because shipping is only allowed to the US.

With both a VPN and forwarding organization it's likely to become a moot point if it's cheaper to pay the 10% GST.

However ,doubtless some will still try avoid paying GST, even if it proves a Pyrrhic victory.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

You don't have to buy one from Amazon. I thought Fords were pretty popular in OZ back in the '70's, so the fuel tank floats might be available locally.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Thread Information