Traction gearbox parts ? Bearings and Cw/pinion set. New !
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By gerrypro

Thread: Traction gearbox parts ? Bearings and Cw/pinion set. New !

1000+ Posts

Default Traction gearbox parts ? Bearings and Cw/pinion set. New !

Hi
    My mate who is restoring a '54 Citroen English Light 15 with some help from moi, has decided to rebuild a good gearbox with new parts, as the assorted bits from the boxes he has are in various states of poor condition. So I am asking where people have purchased new bearings, and a crown wheel and pinion. We did some looking some time back and found most are available. Expensive so would like to know if some are better or worse than others from the stuff available.
    He says the bearings are available in Australia for a cost. Is that better than O/S suppliers. I did have a list of the usual O/S suppliers from before when we did the other restorations but my computer has died since then and taken a lot of stuff with it. I will have to start looking again.
    So any suggestions welcome, good, bad or silly I had saved some procedures to do the assembly but those too have gone, so references also please??
    Thanks Jaahn

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    My mate who is restoring a '54 Citroen English Light 15 with some help from moi, has decided to rebuild a good gearbox with new parts, as the assorted bits from the boxes he has are in various states of poor condition. So I am asking where people have purchased new bearings, and a crown wheel and pinion. We did some looking some time back and found most are available. Expensive so would like to know if some are better or worse than others from the stuff available.
    He says the bearings are available in Australia for a cost. Is that better than O/S suppliers. I did have a list of the usual O/S suppliers from before when we did the other restorations but my computer has died since then and taken a lot of stuff with it. I will have to start looking again.
    So any suggestions welcome, good, bad or silly I had saved some procedures to do the assembly but those too have gone, so references also please??
    Thanks Jaahn
    I could be tempted by an ID 'box conversion if the 3spd is completely worn out........ I wonder if there is any conversion kits left anywhere
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Hi I used to run that model citroen in the 60's in NZ and then clown wheels and pinions where no longer available even then so not sure there are any now.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aceone95 View Post
    Hi I used to run that model citroen in the 60's in NZ and then clown wheels and pinions where no longer available even then so not sure there are any now.
    everything is available through CTA .... Its not cheap, but far better than not available!

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

3305 bearings for the front main and pinion shafts available at any bearing supplier. Not split row as per original but double row single inner and outer. This is more than satisfactory. Other bearings are available but the hard one is the end thrust race for the floating pinion on the pinion shaft. Thankfully these are usually in good condition so are mostly reusable.
    Forget the ID conversion. the chances of picking up a good box these days are slim. If you want better cruising speed install an 10x31 CW and P.
    jaahn likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by aceone95 View Post
    There is more stuff available for TAs than ever before. It is now possible to build one better than new!
    Cheers Gerry

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    3305 bearings for the front main and pinion shafts available at any bearing supplier. Not split row as per original but double row single inner and outer. This is more than satisfactory. Other bearings are available but the hard one is the end thrust race for the floating pinion on the pinion shaft. Thankfully these are usually in good condition so are mostly reusable.
    Forget the ID conversion. the chances of picking up a good box these days are slim. If you want better cruising speed install an 10x31 CW and P.
    Hi Gerry
    Is there only one type of crown wheel and pinion. In two ratios 9/31 and 10/31. Why is there a mention of 55, 36mm in the description, does it mean anything important ?? It is a lot of money for the wrong item
    Could I ask where you have purchased them from ? Is it probable all the ones available come out of the one German factory.
    Jaahn

36mm is shaft diameter. 55 mm is the diff top hat radius and is used in the setting of the conic depth with feeler gauges. Very early CW and P sets had smaller shafts. Around 1934 and 5. The boxes were greatly strengthened as time went on and there are quite a number of changes including casing design and bearing cap bolt configuration 4 bolts vs 5 bolts. I doubt if you would ever be able to get parts for a very early box. As they say in the spares manual NFP 'Ne Fournissons Plus'.
    The ones for sale are for later model cars. There was also an 8 x 31 ratio offered. This was fitted to '11' Familiales and to '7' Montagne versions. I doubt you would want to fit one of those if one could ever be located. I think they gave a top speed of about 55mph. Too slow!
    I have not yet fitted one in my own cars. I have a new old stock original 9x 31in one car and a repro CTA sourced 9x31 from before the deGraaf era. I have however fitted two sets of 10x31for a couple of customers. ( I do not do this anymore ----too much hassle with people wanting everything cheap and then refusing to pay for parts ordered through CCOCA)
    Any of the usual parts suppliers can stock the parts. Renel, CTA/nl , CTA/se, der Franzose, CAS-shop.nl.
    I have mainly dealt with CTA and Renel. Both are very good. ( But not cheap --- you get what you pay for ). Shipping is a killer so try to make your order worthwhile!
    Last edited by gerrypro; 29th May 2018 at 10:12 AM.
    jaahn likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

One other thing. Completely dismantle the box and look at every part before you order. Thrust rings locking rings etc all can be badly worn!
    jaahn likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information