• 1 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By citroenut
  • 1 Post By Winkbul45
  • 1 Post By fritzelhund
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: 2CV questions

1000+ Posts

Default 2CV questions

Interested to find out about 2CVs. I never see any on the roads yet there always seems to be a steady supply available on carsales et al. What’s the current state of play.. are people buying them? Driving them? Wrapping them in cotton wool? Are they a useful daily drive prospect, easily maintained and repairable for the DIYer? They seem about 15-20 grand overpriced to me, but maybe that’s because I’m used to GS prices (circa 400 bucks lol). I guess I’d consider one if they are as good as their resale values might suggest, but I wonder how much of that is due to its mythical/legendary (overhyped?) status. Are they really any good? Worth the money they’re asking? Are they fetching these prices? Your thoughts appreciated.

Advertisement
    Last edited by graham66; 24th May 2018 at 08:05 PM.

JBN

I have two 2CVs. One was imported from the UK when I returned to Oz in 1994. It cost me GBP 1,500. I don't know how far it has travelled as I replaced the mph speedo with a kph speedo and it keeps going to zero after 99,999kms. It was originally red/white Dolly, last of the French built 2CVs (1986). I had it resprayed in 2 pac Glazurit paint - colours plums and custard but in a Charleston style. Just today someone commented on how good the paintwork looks (done in 1995). I have driven long distances in it - Sydney-Cairns in 3 days (900km per day), 3 days there then returned in 3 days. I have lost my licence speeding in it when I used to drive to work half way across Sydney each day. It is still my daily driver and I still get booked for speeding (thankfully I don't have a GS with twice the size engine).

The other car is my avatar - Daffyduck. That was built from scratch. New chassis, refurbished suspension/brakes/engine. On its first outing we drove from Sydney to Wagga, then on to Kalgoorlie. Joined RAID 2008 and finished in Kunnunurra. Thence on to Darwin where my co-builder/driver flew back to Sydney as he had a job. I drove down to Alice Springs, via the Central Road to Perth, up to Geraldton, down to Albany and Esperance back to Perth before heading back east. After Adelaide, I followed Highway One, seeing some friends on the south coast of NSW before returning home, 3 months later with 26,000kms on the clock.

Daffyduck has also completed RAID 2016 - Alice Springs/Tanami track/ Lajemanu, Katherine, Litchfield, Darwin, Kakadu, Roper Bar and back to Alice Springs before returning to Sydney.

Hopefully in August I will head west and do the Anne Beadel Highway from Laverton WA to Coober Pedy SA, with only one petrol station in between.

In answer to your questions:

Are they any good? - it depends. Are you adventurous? Are you confident that you will survive todays traffic conditions with no airbags, doors that are less than 40mm thick with no side intrusion bars? I don't worry about these things. I am 72 years old. I survived a year in Vietnam as a combat infantryman, protected by a cloth hat and denim weight clothing but no flack jacket or body armour. As a commando, I've jumped out of aircraft (day and night), underwater diver, underwater demolitions, roping/rappelling instructor, paddled canoes launched at night 5 miles off the coast from a submarine and bummed across Asia and across Africa. I have lived life. A 2CV is the only car that gives me the thrills I have grown accustomed to.

I caste my eyes around the parking lots of shopping centres, and see SUVs with their bull bars, huge banks of LED driving lights, anti roll bars, huge wide wheels and these days painted glossy black and wonder if they have ever wandered into Clancy country and experienced a life that city folk never know?

I can assure you of one thing. You will meet a lot of people who ask you about your car. Toddlers point and laugh at it because it looks like Noddy's car. Women will make nice comments about it because it is cute and of no threat. Blokes will treat you as a eunuch and hence also no threat.

If you don't want to stand out in a crowd, don't want to draw attention to yourself, then don't buy one. You will lose you're anonymity.

John

Graham,

You should have come to Cit-in - we had about twenty there.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Graham,

You should have come to Cit-in - we had about twenty there.

Cheers, Ken
    Yes Ken, but are these everyday drivers or club rego’ed? I never see em outside of car shows or carsales.com.au.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Are you adventurous?

John
    Yes, did an outback trip to tenant creek and back in the GS and it performed flawlessly. Good to know the 2CV is similarly tough.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by graham66 View Post
    Yes, did an outback trip to tenant creek and back in the GS and it performed flawlessly. Good to know the 2CV is similarly tough.
    Tougher. A GS was abandoned in Raid 2000 on Cape York. I don't think a GS would do very well on the Canning Stock Route from Well 5 to Wiluna. The 4WDs have left deep tracks, but 2CVs can get one set of wheels on the edge of the track and the other set between the 4WD furrows. A GS with a wider track than the 2CV would flounder.

The great advantage a 2CV has over most cars is its light weight (~580kgs). It can be lifted and man-handled out of strife.

John
    graham66 likes this.

Gotta work it out for yourself. Iíve had a plethora of Citroenís, DS ,GS, CX, Xantia and C5s and the only model I just couldnít bond with was the 2CV. Loved my R4s. But as you, and a few million others see, the 2CV has plenty of cred! Johnís adventures are inspirational...

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

John your post above, #2, has made my day and should be preserved.
    thank you very much
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Fellow Frogger!

Graham, no description of driving & living with a 2CV will prepare you for the experience. You MUST drive one, & not just around the block. They really are unique, especially in this day & traffic conditions. They are not right for everyone, but if they press your buttons, they are something else.

Richard [ past owner ].
    graham66 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Name:  ute.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  7.6 KBMy wife and I have been on three Raids, the last two she drove her own. I have had DS's also, but my cars are for daily use always.
    The only problem I have with this car that I can't park anywhere without being asked about this car.
    Thanks John!
    graham66 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Winkbul45 View Post
    Name:  ute.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  7.6 KBMy wife and I have been on three Raids, the last two she drove her own. I have had DS's also, but my cars are for daily use always.
    The only problem I have with this car that I can't park anywhere without being asked about this car.
    Thanks John!
    Re 2CV and the driving experience. It depends where you are coming from.

Some would say a 2CV is hard work. Forever rowing 2 cylinders along with the gearstick ( that alone causes some people to not cope .. the gearstick is an oddity .. but fun ) Brakes require high pedal pressure ( no power assist ) The limited "POWER" from the two cylinders requires adjustment and forward planning. The forward vision is of the letter box slot variety. drive a 2CV and its design limitations makes you a better driver ( maybe it is the fear factor of being in a rolling tin snail ) .. but the experience is unique and FUN ! Not remotely a trans continental cruiser, but the more exposure you have to a 2CV the more it will amaze for its ability to do so much with so little machinery to do it. I am amazed at the public sentiment old FIAT 500s and VW beetles have ... a 2CV is a vastly superior vehicle with real road manners and cruising performance ( noise excepted ) and they are physically large as well. Where else can you get an umbrella on wheels propelled by a 2 cylinder lawn mower powerplant that will go anywhere in bouncy, isolating non terrain following comfort ?
    graham66 likes this.

JBN

The gearshift layout is very logical. 1st to 2nd is a dogleg. 2nd to 3rd is straight, which means the gears mainly used around town are push-pull. From 3rd to 4th is a dogleg. Ideally, when you are in 4th you are on the open road, hopefully within the slip stream of another vehicle, where you get sucked along for free. Vans from the Berlingo size upwards have a low pressure area trailing them, inviting free loaders to help them use their petrol. Road trains and B-doubles are the Dysons of vacuum cleaners for that high class suck.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    The gearshift layout is very logical. 1st to 2nd is a dogleg. 2nd to 3rd is straight, which means the gears mainly used around town are push-pull. From 3rd to 4th is a dogleg. Ideally, when you are in 4th you are on the open road, hopefully within the slip stream of another vehicle, where you get sucked along for free. Vans from the Berlingo size upwards have a low pressure area trailing them, inviting free loaders to help them use their petrol. Road trains and B-doubles are the Dysons of vacuum cleaners for that high class suck.

John
    Agreed the gearshift pattern is verrrrry logical.
    Consider it as a mechanical version of a REAL DS's BVH hydraulic control wand ...
    Opps the DS's gear wand came after the 2CV's in/out/twist and shove ball on the end of a stick..either way somebody used to 3 on the tree or 4 on the floor, or even worse English oddities like 4 on the tree with the right hand ( as was common practice at their introduction ) would find both systems strange. I have been reading some old road tests of DS19s. English speaking journos had little pleasing to say about the DS's BVH ... it took adjustment and learning, as do powered mushroom brakes. A 2CV takes adjustment and learning to master its retro and unconventional system ... great fun and seriously logical.

Do we assume the fastback shape of a 2CV is to stop freeloaders ? Imagine a procession of drafting 2CVs with only one two horse van pulling its weight.

There are plenty of everyday drives, mine included in Brisbane

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by graham66 View Post
    Interested to find out about 2CVs. I never see any on the roads yet there always seems to be a steady supply available on carsales et al. What’s the current state of play.. are people buying them? Driving them? Wrapping them in cotton wool? Are they a useful daily drive prospect, easily maintained and repairable for the DIYer? They seem about 15-20 grand overpriced to me, but maybe that’s because I’m used to GS prices (circa 400 bucks lol). I guess I’d consider one if they are as good as their resale values might suggest, but I wonder how much of that is due to its mythical/legendary (overhyped?) status. Are they really any good? Worth the money they’re asking? Are they fetching these prices? Your thoughts appreciated.
    I've had Ferrari's,e types,porsches,all manner of cars and lots of Citroens and at the end of the day if left with a choice of taking one it would be the 2CV...it is FUN,cheap to run..if not buy,easy to maintain,goes anywhere and elicits smiles wherever you are...it's simple and unfussed and to me is like the perfect painting...well considered and not fussy...
    does what is needed and no more....overpriced...I think not
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

1000+ Posts

Interesting, thanks to all

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Do you find the GS a pig to drive in the middle of winter .... doing lots of short trips. Imagine a motor 1/2 the size .... being a pig when cold ... lots of clutch riding etc. I would not drive one as a daily car as I don't want to leave it sitting in the rain and sun all day everyday at work. Old cars tend to dissolved before your eyes if left to the elements.................. However if I had undercover parking at work ..............

Try a 2cv ... .there bloody hideous .... you'll love it. ridiculously slow ... horribly cramped ... even a little guy like me needs to duck his head down to look through the windscreen .... the tyres keep trying to fall off the rims onto the sidewalls around corners ... they leak rain (but don't worry it'll run out the rust holes in the floor as quickly as it gets in), the panels will flap around in the passing breeze, the roof will flap around in the passing breeze ...

Does anyone drive a 2cv without trying to beat it to death .... I'd suggest if you like "driving" a car .... right to its limits. Your going to love a 2cv If your someone that like to idle around in top gear .... Your probably not going to get much enjoyment from it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

JBN

They are a bit challenging when cold, but it doesn't take long to warm them up.

The 2CV has TWO accelerators. One is under the right foot, the other is the clutch. When taking a hard left turn into a street in suburbia, change down to 2nd, slow down for the corner and ride the clutch to keep up engine revs up and prevent the engine dying, raising the clutch foot to accelerate out of the corner. Sure, its not the normal way to drive, but the 2CV is not a normal car. The clutches have always lasted as long as the engines. A set of barrels/pistons/rings plus a pushrod tube seal kit and you have a new motor. Get a motorbike place to clean up the heads and replace any valves. Change the clutch, clutch lever and cable and you are back in business.

Yes, everyone says they are slow and they skite how quick their car is. I ask them how many speeding points they have against their licence, and indeed how many licences they have lost due to speeding. Different story. I just scored another 3 points last week making 9 (out of 13) on the current licence (number 6). Bugger. It was a lovely downhill run over a concave bridge and up a hill on the other side. No intersections. Three lanes each way. Everyone in the right hand lane breaking (they must have seen the cop). Middle lane full up. Left hand lane absolutely devoid of vehicles. Had the cop also taken my speed going up the other side and averaged them, I would have been just on the speed limit.
    There are some that talk the talk, some that walk the walk, I don't have time for either, I am in a hurry...die young, have a beautiful body and hope to score an angel on the other side.

John
    gsowner84 likes this.

Thread Information