CX wheel bearings
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerrypro

Thread: CX wheel bearings

Default CX wheel bearings

Reading a new book about the development of the Lancia ( Abarth) 037 rally car. It mentions they chose Citroen CX wheel bearings as they were the best.
    Are they particularly special / unique to the CX ?

Advertisement
    Nostalgia.....aahh It's not what it used to be

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dayofthejackal View Post
    Reading a new book about the development of the Lancia ( Abarth) 037 rally car. It mentions they chose Citroen CX wheel bearings as they were the best.
    Are they particularly special / unique to the CX ?
    They are massive. You kill them by not running the driveshaft nuts tight enough.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hi Guys,

Being massive has nothing to do with it..........

They were a next generation wheel bearing. They were first used on the GS birotor, then a few years later, the CX. It had a similar suspension setup, but bigger, consequently the Birotor bearing was a little smaller.

There was a lot of publicity about the bearing at the time of the Birotor / CX, and they were certainly different to previous designs as they were a single unit, and bolted into the alloy hub.

There may be something about the design in the Citroen factory "Doublechevron" magazines around that time?

While they were successful, they were obviously expensive to produce, and more conventional wheel bearing seem to be the norm these day, as now, every cent counts.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Maybe the size doesn't matter, but the size is still astonishing..... That is a rear CX wheel bearing beside a rear Renault 4CV bearing and a front 4CV wheel bearing, both of which are adequate, albeit for lighter loads.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX wheel bearings-cx-4cv-wheel-bearings.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Maybe the size doesn't matter, but the size is still astonishing..... That is a rear CX wheel bearing beside a rear Renault 4CV bearing and a front 4CV wheel bearing, both of which are adequate, albeit for lighter loads.....
    They are purchased as a bearing and you need to press fit it to the housing (I've never done one) .................... because I've never worn out a CX wheel bearing!

Looking at them I thought they were just a standard roller bearing ..... I'd love to know what is different about them. I might have a new "bare" bearing in the shed. I'll open it up and take a look

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

H Guys,

I find it difficult to believe you'r on the same planet as I am?

Since when is a Renault 4CV a similar car to a CX. Come on & get real, and stop wasting everyones time.

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    H Guys,

Since when is a Renault 4CV a similar car to a CX. Come on & get real, and stop wasting everyones time.

Greg
    Aw, don't be like that. I was just illustrating how big they are. Wonderfully engineered, and I did say "albeit for lighter loads" for the 4CV. Perhaps I should have inserted "much" ahead of "lighter"....

The CX ones are double ball races aren't they? That's what the back ones look like. I must dig out my spare fronts.

I had a front hub dismantled recently, on the CX, just the nut to get the driveshaft out. Wow.... Caterpillar tractors come to mind.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    H Guys,

Greg
    actually ... I reckon a rear 4cv bearing would carry a far heavier load than a rear CX bearing ............ Those things are rear engined.... where as the CX has hardly any weight over it's rear axle!

seeya,
    Shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Guys,

The original post asked what is special/ unique about the CX wheel bearing, which I tried to address.

The size is not what makes it unique. It has something to do with it's slim dimension for a double row ball wheel bearing, and I thing also because it has angular contact?

The bearing isn't a press fit as such, but the drive hub presses into the centre of the bearing

The bearing itself bolts into the hub.

While the rear wheel bearing on a CX rarely gave any problems, the front wheel bearing did have their share of failures.

As for this statement:

actually ... I reckon a rear 4cv bearing would carry a far heavier load than a rear CX bearing ............ Those things are rear engined.... where as the CX has hardly any weight over it's rear axle!

I thought we were talking about front wheel bearing on the CX? and their design. The power transmitted through the driveshaft of a CX 25 GTI turbo would be a whole world apart from that of a 4 cv Renault, regardless of the drive.

While any front wheel bearing design that consists of tapered rollers has very little in the way of tension on the hub nut, most Front Wheel drive cars including cars like the CX and GS use very high torque on the drive shaft nut to not only keep the bearing assembly together, but also ensure the connection of the drive transmitted to the wheel hub remains constantly coupled continuously during the working of the suspension.

It's no wonder that Aussie Frogs is the centre for mis information!

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    We Had:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    They are purchased as a bearing and you need to press fit it to the housing (I've never done one) .................... because I've never worn out a CX wheel bearing!

Looking at them I thought they were just a standard roller bearing ..... I'd love to know what is different about them. I might have a new "bare" bearing in the shed. I'll open it up and take a look

seeya
    Shane L.
    I have changed them on my CX and found the case hardening gone on the old bearing. They can and certainly do wear out. but more from mis-assembly as from age. As said, the drive shaft must be very tight as it is this and only this that keeps the bearing firmly on the inner hub with the correct preload. New ones are supplied with the correct amount of lubrication and should be fitted without adding any more grease. Extra grease causes the balls to dam up grease in the race channel and hence the ball will skid and not rotate. This is the second way that you can destroy them through mis-fitment. Don't ask me how I know this!
    Cheers Gerry

All interesting. I'd heard before not to over-grease them.

How much grease to add to a cleaned up, sound, second hand one then? It's a serious question as I have some.....

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

You may have to consult the bearing manufacturer for that info John. I washed out and cleaned my originals years ago and then greased them up. I used them but they did not last long. I replaced them with new and added grease to those thinking I was doing the right thing! Same story! On my third set now and fitted them as supplied having read a few AF posts on the subject. These are still going strong!
    My guess ( and I stress the word GUESS) for re greased units would be to add grease ( High Temp Wheel Bearing Grease ) till all working surfaces had a coating and when rotated no grease builds up in front of the balls!
    yavuzss likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Thanks Gerry. The message is that they don't need much and somehow the thin coating does the job for years. Interesting....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information