CX Starter Circuit
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX Starter Circuit

CX Starter Circuit-20180523_140952_resized-002-.jpg
    Can anybody explain to me what this is supposed to achieve. Yes, it is a 6 ohm (or thereabouts) resistor, with another 1.5 ohm one not connected. The way it is wired up, it simply connects the key start circuit to earth when operated - but why, when that just adds a couple of amps to the key switch load? Might there be a wiring error, perhaps? Or ... ?

Advertisement

It doesn't look original! Why has it been added!
    Cheers Gerry

Maybe it is there to quickly remove the inductive energy from the starter solenoid coil when the starter has done its work and the key is released?? A reverse diode would be a much more efficient way to do that though.

Cheers, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Maybe it is there to quickly remove the inductive energy from the starter solenoid coil when the starter has done its work and the key is released?? A reverse diode would be a much more efficient way to do that though.

Cheers, Ken
    Agreed, but when the key is released and the relay cuts off, it is only connected back to the key, not the solenoid coil. Hence my suggestion that, at least, I have a connection problem.
    PB

So there is a starter relay installed - that is an upgrade as well - a worthwhile one too.

Cheers, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    So there is a starter relay installed - that is an upgrade as well - a worthwhile one too.

Cheers, Ken
    Friends, I think we have an answer. Without a starter relay, low current flow is possible from the key switch cable to ground via the starter motor solenoid. This has something to do with a connection to something ... - more likely not the Citroen Eye, but the L-Jetronic Injection and its peripherals, which comes into (or off) the key switch lead at some indeterminate location. So, once a relay is installed, that is lost, so a separate ground connection is required - but through a resistor as a means of limiting current when not in the actual start position. Therefore, a new starter relay and a bit of tidying up of wiring may be all I need!

So it is fuel injected as well.

Thread Information