• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By deesse
  • 1 Post By lozenge
  • 1 Post By donat

Thread: The Citroen SM experience

Default The Citroen SM experience

Dear fellow citronistas,

My SM will be back with me next week after expensive engine repair (new complete gasket set, [including heads], re-ground cams, repaired heads,new timing chains and tensioner and a new clutch). I am really looking forward to having it back and working perfectly. Anyway I am now thinking that it will have to earn its keep and how this can be done. I have thought of listing it with an agent to see if it can get some TV or film work but have heard story's of car owners having to wait around for ages for only short amounts of film time and the idea of a stunt driver using my car for a car chase freaks me out a bit. Wedding car hire - it's not white and too small on the inside.
    Offering other enthusiasts an SM experience. This sounds like something I could do.

So what I am asking would there be any interest in such a thing?

The way it would work is the experiencer would turn up at my place early on a Sunday morning where we would first have a look over the car. We would then head out in the SM with me driving towards some nice out of town roads. Once on these roads the car would be handed over to the experiencer to drive for about 0.5 to 1 hour. We would then stop for a coffee and afterwards I would drive the SM home. All up about 2 - 2.5 hours of driving. At the conclusion some sort of memento would be given and the show would be over. I am thinking of charging about $300.

What do you think, would I have any takers amongst Aussie Froggers? I am located in northern suburbs of Melbourne.

Advertisement

Let me know.

cheers Tony

gsowner84 likes this.

1000+ Posts

Umm, sounds a bit creepy, unless the experiencer knows you well. Drive out to some backroads out of town? Not sure how you could market that without giving people the heebeejeebees. You could be Jack the Ripper for all we know. Why not Uber it to earn its keep?

though special cars have done special Uber events in the US i think the local offering is strictly mainstream - QLD certainly, and each jurisdiction is different but that's not how it operates here, AFAIK.
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

it's a nice idea, and generous, but I suspect the more pragmatic
    among us, and your insurers, would take a bleak view of it all.
    UFO likes this.

At the conclusion some sort of memento would be given and the show would be over. I am thinking of charging about $300.
    There is always the possibility that you could assaulted and "memento" for the "experiencer" become your car.

My trust in human nature is clearly a lot less than your own.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

Hi there,

This is a perfectly good idea. You would need appropriate insurance, some good website advice. You would identify appropriate routes etc. You might consider a more flexible package such as one including overnight accomodation. There are a few operators doing this. I know of one operator that hires out a near new Lambo to overseas visitors (largely chinese gentlemen) for weekend rips along the Great Ocean Road. Cost? Forget $300. More like 4 - 6K depending upon the number in the party. He is fully booked.

Tim
    Current Garage:

'68 DS21 PALLAS BVH
    '51 11BL

Fellow Frogger!

Sounds like a great idea. People pay to be a pillion on a Harley (why anyone would is hard to fathom, being a real motorcycle rider). Hiring the SM with you as driver for school formals is another periodic option. Getting to drive a SM (or DS for that matter) would appeal to many car nuts. A life event rather than a daily occurrence! Insurance could be costly, if car for hire.

if you're driving you'll need a hire licence to carry paying passengers too. Plus appropriate insurance. The car would also have to meet hire purpose so everything tickety boo which could be a PITA. There was a bloke in Sydney who was hiring out unusual cars in a club type scenario where you joined booked a time to drive and off you went, MGs Jags Mustangs etc, there might be something similar in Melbourne. You would expect the drivers to treat your car with kid gloves and get their heads around munching through the gears and driving off in low over raised surfaces so plenty to give you grey hairs...

I'm not a fan of anyone driving my SM unless it's me. Too much can go awry.
    forumnoreason likes this.

Without any other problems about hiring it out,the direct steering would bugger most drivers not used to a SM.

Thanks for your opinions guys.
    Just to clarify, the idea is that I will not be hiring the car out as such but allowing another to drive my car in my presence.
    I do understand that to do it legitimately I will need to mortgage my house to afford the insurance. I will not be doing that or any other palava.
    I have fully comprehensive insurance and if there were any problems I would reason that the person driving my car is a 'mate' as I had a dizzy spell due to a recent low blood pressure incident or some such excuse. The payments would be strictly cash (towards fuel ) so no records of a commercial transaction would exist.
    As to the SM having super sensitive steering, this is a myth. Sure it is sensitive but it is all relative, so unless you have only been driving an old unassisted truck you don't really get any surprises. I would quickly curtail the driver if things did not seem to be going well.
    As to being creepy, yes this could be an issue for either of us but I can have an abort clause in the transaction if anyone is getting creeped out before leaving the garage.

So any takers?
    cheers Tony

you shouldn't be publically broadcasting chunks of that information methinks!

Now I ain't no lawyer BUT if you are offering to take people out ( not in the mafia sense) and expecting them to cough up then it could be construed you are hiring the vehicle as a service. Don't want to spoil the fun but you could run into some serious merde if the hammer came down or someone squealed, ( in the mafia sense).

ie what if some bully boy ATO dude booked a ride then six weeks later called you up for an audit?

you just have to set it up so it is legit I would suggest. End of rant.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 22nd May 2018 at 10:34 PM.

Thread Information