• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New tyres for the C4 Coupe

don

Default New tyres for the C4 Coupe

Have the need to replace the tyres on the C4 VTR Coupe
    Have run the original Mitch energy as fitted on production then Pirelli P7 and as of late Pirelli P1. The P1 are crap and I wont be going there again so to brains trust here present recommendations please

Advertisement

Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

What size tyre are you looking at

Fellow Frogger!

Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Assuming a 205/55 R16 fitment and based on the requirement of avoiding crap tyres.
    FedGrapes likes this.

1000+ Posts

Size & operative criteria for choice would be helpful. Tyres are complex critters & to be good in some ways entails being poor in others. So, what parameters of performance are important to you?
    Relatedly, on what parameters were the the P1 tyres crap? (Without specification, the judgement is meaningless.) That said, I tend to agree with Vert in that there is hardly a parameter of performance that I judge to be important upon which the PS4 would not be in the front rank of performers.

cheers! Peter
    FedGrapes likes this.

1000+ Posts

a vacuum of info does not assist interaction
    JohnW likes this.

Tadpole

Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

You will have more fun with Kmart Skidmasters

It will feel like you have double the amount of power with all the drifting you will encounter

My love contisportcontact5
    https://www.continental-tyres.com.au...isportcontact5

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    You will have more fun with Kmart Skidmasters

It will feel like you have double the amount of power with all the drifting you will encounter

My love contisportcontact5
    https://www.continental-tyres.com.au...isportcontact5
    Yes I would be putting Continentals on if I was my car. Definatly better that michelin energy. Michelin Primacy 3 w 89 would be really good too, but I think a fair bit dearer

Sent from my LG-K520 using aussiefrogs mobile app

don

Thank you all Im not into motor sport style performance
    But would a quality tyre with the following traits
    Sticky in the wet
    Quiet and comfortable ride
    Good ware characteristics
    I don't tend to hit the brakes hard or ride corners on two wheels and drifting in a C4 1.6 well🤔
    The conti 5s seem to be a good choice me thinks

Sent from my SM-T385 using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

I've had to give up on RE003's as they don't last long enough (on an Mi16 and a 1.4 Clio). Great tyre, but very poor life if you occasionally corner with spirit. (I'm currently looking for tyres for the 206.)

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Thank you all Im not into motor sport style performance
    But would a quality tyre with the following traits
    Sticky in the wet
    Quiet and comfortable ride
    Good ware characteristics
    I don't tend to hit the brakes hard or ride corners on two wheels and drifting in a C4 1.6 well樂
    The conti 5s seem to be a good choice me thinks

Sent from my SM-T385 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Conti's SC5 is not available in your (presumed) size of 205/55-16. Conti's PremiumContact 5 is & would be an excellent choice on every one of your criteria except wear.

Even though you are not going to fang the C4, two possible scenarios (the emergency brake & the emergency swerve, both at their most dramatic in the wet; what one intends & what eventuates can, sadly, not coincide) dictate some emphasis on two criteria: lateral & longitudinal wet grip & benign limit behaviour.

Of the tyres mentioned, I would still fit the PS4 Michelin: hardly uncomfortable, fairly long wearing & a class leader in every way on performance, including traits just mentioned. It's a real return to form by Michelin.

I wouldn't choose the Primacy3 or 3ST, given wet grip is a priority. I wouldn't choose the RE003 given longevity is a priority (although the best way of thinking of this is cost/distance & given Bridgestone's penchant for special ideals, it can rate highly on this). I note, in passing, that, despite being crisp in response, the RE003's structure is not uncomfortable. I have fitted several sets of 215/60-16 to my wife's & a daughter's Foresters. It's worth considering as a good deal is current on it.

Turning to other tyres that well meet your criteria: I would suggest Dunlop's new FM800 & Sport BluResponse, Pirelli's new (regional) P6, Bridgestone's new Turanza T005 & Goodyear's EfficientGrip Performance (not the regular EfficientGrip).

I can't imagine you being disappointed with any of them.

Have a browse through this site for test results on the tyres & interrogate them deploying your priorities.

Tyres by Brand - Tyre Reviews

And for comparative pricing, see Jax's site in the size.

https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/si...5r16?limit=100

Personally, I'd buy the PS4 (even deploying your criteria) but the RE003 is cheap now & the PC5 is dearer but has a bit of a deal on that softens its highish wear cost (it is very good in the wet).

cheers! Peter

Post Scriptum: I'm still curious as to what you didn't like about the P1.

Tadpole

I had RE002s on my 306 XUDT sedan and man did it go around roundabouts when you come in hot and just use engine braking to pull you around the corner. They were great in the wet too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    I've had to give up on RE003's as they don't last long enough (on an Mi16 and a 1.4 Clio). Great tyre, but very poor life if you occasionally corner with spirit. (I'm currently looking for tyres for the 206.)
    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

1000+ Posts

Peter, what's the PC5's wear like compared to the RE003? I hadn't thought of the cost per km really, but that's a very good point. (Duh).

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Peter, what's the PC5's wear like compared to the RE003? I hadn't thought of the cost per km really, but that's a very good point. (Duh).
    About the same (under 300). (For reference, the P1 is over 400. ) The RE003 does have more robust shoulder block treatment though. This doesn't just aid "turn in" but lessens edge wear. I consider it a very good option &, in part on "special deal" grounds, have bought it over the available PC5 for the Foresters. I do love the PC5 though, especially as a "wet" tyre, & have bought it for another daughter's car.

The RE003, incidentally, is markedly superior to the RE002 in the wet.
    leithant likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I wouldn't go for Potenza RE003. Great grip but harsh and noisy. And you'll wear the shoulders out.

Michelin PS4 are great. I have them on my A3 in 225/45 R17 and they're quiet, comfortable and grippy - dry or wet. They have 25,000 kays on them and still good.

The only negative is that they have zero rim protection so kerbing the wheels is far to easy and I guess you could argue the sidewall is too soft - but that's why they are comfortable!

Apart from the occasional blast through corners I have been involved in several emergency braking or swerving manouvers - thanks Sydney - and they have always performed exceptionally.

I only wish they were available in 195/55 15 for my 306!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lowpugV2 View Post
    I wouldn't go for Potenza RE003. Great grip but harsh and noisy. And you'll wear the shoulders out.

<snip>
    Interesting. Each of the shoulder wear, comfort & noise remarks puzzles me. What size was involved, what vehicle type & what tyre types were involved in relative merit judgements?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Interesting. Each of the shoulder wear, comfort & noise remarks puzzles me. What size was involved, what vehicle type & what tyre types were involved in relative merit judgements?
    the re003 were fitted to my 306 gti6. 195 55 15. the outside shoulder was bald while the inner portions were fine. This was with standard suspension. The sidewalks are very stiff which made steering response fantastic but very harsh ride. The noise sounded like a wheel bearing had failed. The large tread blocks are the likely cause.

This is isn’t really a negative review though. Excellent tyres if you want to push your car, grip levels beyond what’s sensible on public roads. But if you value other attributes then go for the Michelin ps4.

1000+ Posts

Peter, yeah, I bought the RE003 for my wife's car for the same reasons as you! She doesn't do many km though, so the treadwear isn't a big issue.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

the re003 were fitted to my 306 gti6. 195 55 15. the outside shoulder was bald while the inner portions were fine. This was with standard suspension. The sidewalks are very stiff which made steering response fantastic but very harsh ride. The noise sounded like a wheel bearing had failed. The large tread blocks are the likely cause.

This is isnít really a negative review though. Excellent tyres if you want to push your car, grip levels beyond whatís sensible on public roads. But if you value other attributes then go for the Michelin ps4.
    hmm! Personally, I'd choose PS4 for everything if available in my sizes (it's not, for anything). I suggested the RE003 on price grounds over the PS4 without thinking that there'd be a downside an the specified criteria.

Back to the RE003. One factor is that, in my Forester application, I have about 20% more sidewall height than yours. I also have more supple suspension. The Forester size is still 15% higher in sidewall than 205/55-16 but it's closer & the C4 is also supple so my suspicion is that it might still work nicely.

As for edge wear, my wife doesn't fang it & I don't drive it for a large enough % of its time to be relevant to wear. They are nicely substantial shoulders but softly compounded. The downside of (crisply responding) less distorting sidewalls at the bead end is a lessening of the radial tyre behaviour of having the tread stay fairly flat but migrate laterally under cornering forces. Thus, the tyre jacks up on its edges a bit more. I would have predicted that your 306 GTi 6 would not move much into positive camber at the front under load but maybe it does. Anyway, it's worth trying lower pressures to soften the sidewall & allow more tread migration. Roadholding shouldn't suffer & judicious playing around with relatively lower rear pressures ought to preserve handling balance responsiveness.

I'm not clear what else you've tried on the GTi 6 but, if abandoning the RE003, there's not a lot of choice of good stuff. Assuming that you want crisp response & wet grip, I think that you have a shortlist of two: the Michelin PS3 & Conti's PremiumContact2. It might be thought that the PS3 is a class above in "sportiness" but one reviewer of the PC2 on Tyre Reviews fitted them after the PS3 & thought them crisper. They are certainly good wet tyres & have worked well on the fronts of my rear-engined Renaults & all round on my Djet. They're one of my favourite tyres (DOT wear rating is under 300 though). You might want to try them. If you do, tell us about it.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Peter, yeah, I bought the RE003 for my wife's car for the same reasons as you! She doesn't do many km though, so the treadwear isn't a big issue.
    When I reviewed them for Tyre Reviews, I observed that they were so wet-grippy & benign in limit behaviour that they were a great choice for non-enthusiasts, not just enthusiasts.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the insights Peter. I don't own the gti6 anymore. I now have an xsi so am after something a little quieter and softer to suit the car. Michelin PS3 is the only real choice I think. Although I will have a look at the suggestion of the Conti tyres.

I have experience with the PS3 on a Fiesta in the same size and they worked very well. Slightly dull steering but made up for it with really progressive feel and good ride.

1000+ Posts

Thanks for the insights Peter. I don't own the gti6 anymore. I now have an xsi so am after something a little quieter and softer to suit the car. Michelin PS3 is the only real choice I think. Although I will have a look at the suggestion of the Conti tyres.

I have experience with the PS3 on a Fiesta in the same size and they worked very well. Slightly dull steering but made up for it with really progressive feel and good ride.
    About what I've gathered about the PS3 (better conceived of as an Exalto 3 with the PilotSuperSports as the PS2 replacement). I'll forgive a lot for good limit behaviour.

I assume you're still looking at the same 195/55-15 size.

my RS200 EDC Clio had a set of goodyears on it (cant for the life of me remember the "version" of goodyear though) when i bought it brand new, and they lasted over 65,000km, whilst impressing me with grip and being pretty quiet too. i've never had a moment with them, or the replacements i got for them (the "3" to replace the "2" that were on them, i remember that much) and i reckon they cost around $1000 for the set fitted from memory???

They lasted longer than the eco Michies that were supplied on the diesel Latitude i had before the Clio

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cam740 View Post
    my RS200 EDC Clio had a set of goodyears on it (cant for the life of me remember the "version" of goodyear though) when i bought it brand new, and they lasted over 65,000km, whilst impressing me with grip and being pretty quiet too. i've never had a moment with them, or the replacements i got for them (the "3" to replace the "2" that were on them, i remember that much) and i reckon they cost around $1000 for the set fitted from memory???

They lasted longer than the eco Michies that were supplied on the diesel Latitude i had before the Clio
    Goodyear Eagle. F1 Asymmetric3, I suspect. Not a class leader & a bit sluggish perhaps in response but still decent wet grip.

Class leaders are Michelin's PS4 & PS4 S, Conti's SportContact6 & Pirelli's PZero PZ4 (Sports Car version).

1000+ Posts

belatedly: what's the size?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information