Xantia CT Turbo drive vibration problem.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken W

Thread: Xantia CT Turbo drive vibration problem.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia CT Turbo drive vibration problem.

My '98 Xantia CT Turbo has suddenly developed a bad front vibration that feels like drive shaft wobble as speed exceeds 100km/Hr.

Advertisement

+ Front tyres have been balanced.
    + Front wheels have been replaced with known substitutes temporarily.
    + Drive shafts have been inspected for obvious signs of problems, & no excessive play evident.
    + Lower rear suspension bushes renewed.
    + Top engine mount replaced, bottoms inspected.
    + Suspension heights have been trialled either side of ideal, with even too low not improving the problem.

The vibration is bad enough that I am reluctant to drive over 100Km/Hr for fear of damage.

Any ideas please ?

Richard

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

How did the driveshaft carrier bearing look
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks DC.

Nothing's been pulled apart yet. What symptoms would be evident externally if the carrier is a problem ?

Richard

Hi Richard,

We visited Coffs in the C5 wagon last week - even walked up mushroom island.

If it only happens on acceleration or braking, it could be wear in the inner driveshaft joints. You may be low on grease in any of the joints and they have stiffened up. If it changes during cornering, it could be a wheel bearing.

Give us some more info.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Ken.

The vibration is most obvious under power at 110Km/Hr on the freeway. I have not driven past that speed in fear of doing damage. It is not noticeable during day to day driving until over 100Km/Hr .
    I have wondered if ti is possible that during the replacement of the lower control arm bushes , a drive shaft may have been over extended ? As I've never had Xantia drive couplings apart I am unfamiliar with the triax arrangement. I have experienced lock up on a GS when the cups dried out on a long trip resulting in extreme wobble , especially when turning. On that occasion, dismantling, cleaning, & adding Teflon grease with added gear oil solved the problem.
    I am unable to do much work on the car myself these days & a quick inspection by my trusted mechanics hasn't come up with a positive diagnosis, so I am hoping to narrow the problem down a bit before it goes into them on Friday. I am thinking $$$$ !

Richard

might he angle the lower arms were refitted at be causing strain on the shafts or balljoints? Haynes mentions final tightening to include the level the arms are positioned at, Suspension and steering, 11-5 4 Refitting step 11, the lower edge of the outboard end of lower arm should be positioned app 8mm below the surface of the suspension subframe.

As stated, check the intermediate bearing. It locates on the driveshaft and is seated into the rear engine mount bracket. It is held in with 2 11mm hocky stick bolts. You will need to remove the driveshaft to inspect it. (Drivers Side)

I too though I had a wobble. Think its just wheel balancing as its there regardless of engine load.

Apparently the wobble under acceleration is quite detrimental to the drivetrain and is affected on these cars by their height settings?

Fellow Frogger!

If anyone within a reasonable drive from Coffs Harbour has a CT Turbo, I would really appreciate the opportunity to have a look at it & compare a few things that might shed a bit of light on my problem.

Richard 0417 66 1715

Fellow Frogger!

I am still hoping to hear from someone with a CT Turbo within about 2 or 3 hours drive form Coffs Harbour that I could have a look at & compare please.

Richard 0417 66 1715

Richard,

There are a few Activas around Brisbane mine being one of them. Had a nice drive back up the Summerland Way last week.

Armidillo has a CT and Activa at Arimdale I think. That would be a pleasant drive along the Waterfall Way.

Can you wobble the inner driveshaft ends around in their sockets? When taking out the lower arms, there is no real reason to have to extend the driveshafts but that could have been done and a ball dropped off the triax. But that would make a pretty horrible noise and you might be able to feel the ball sitting in the bottom of the boot.

It's a pity you couldn't mount a go-pro or other sort of camera so you can see what starts to move in there when it is going 100km/hr.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

At last, problem SOLVED ! A warped wheel rim, surprisingly not reported by the tyre Clowns who balanced the two front wheels in my first attempt to isolate the problem.
    It was isolated by the mechanics who ran it with the wheels up off the ground & driving. The y had both front wheels balanced again & moved them to the rear, which reduced vibration through the car but didn't eliminate it. I then substituted the spare for the bad wheel which cured the problem completely.
    I have now had the warped wheel rolled true by an old semi retired German engineer here in Coffs for $150.00 with total success.
    Pity I had to pay for three balances & several hours of detective work by my mechanics to cure what should have been detected in my first attempt, by the twits who first balanced the wheel, who I had told that I was chasing the simple solution to my problem.

Richard

I'm glad it was something as simple as that. Someone must have banged a wheel fairly recently.

Cheers, Ken
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Thread Information