• 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 5 Post By fnqvmuch
  • 2 Post By Stuey
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 2 Post By Nagaman

Thread: C4 grand picasso 1.6 thp any good?

Tadpole

Default C4 grand picasso 1.6 thp any good?

Thinking of getting one for my wife, and wanted to know more info on them , are the autos in them a automated manual gearbox? are they reliable and easy to fix when they go wrong? On paper they should pull pretty well with 240nm at 1400 rpm, impressive! any other info is welcome.
    Thanks

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

What year are you looking at? Also, some models have a diesel with a Japanese origin torque converter conventional auto.

The 115kW/240 Nm THP is used in several Peugeot and Citroen models, from the tiny Cit DS3 up to large cars like the Citroen C5. Early engines had teething problems, but Citroen have done just about all now under warranty. Later engines have redesigned components, and have had the output raised, eg the very fast Peugeot 308 GTi. Like all makes of direct injection engines they need periodic inlet valve cleaning, and correct oil changes will save turbo trouble. Check the service history, particularly if early. Although dealers aren't on every corner, parts are readily available at decent prices from various importers. You are only a courier away at Port. Cits are not usually expensive cars to keep.

The torque curve is practically flat. These engines pull very steadily.

The EGS gearbox, if that is what you have seen, is a 6 speed manual sporty gearbox, to whch has been fitted a mechanism for very very fast auto clutch and gear changes, so no clutch pedal is fitted. It can be changed by working paddles on the steering wheel, or automatically by the computer. In auto mode though, it does not behave as smoothly as the best torque converter autos, as the revs need to be right, like a manual change, so you will hear some say it is jerky. Try one and see. I drive this box on the paddles myself.
    Last edited by seasink; 15th May 2018 at 03:34 PM.
    Scott Rohdich and cam740 like this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Well I just followed an bland looking white people mover taxi out to the kids school.... I was amazed to see plastic chevrons stuck to back of it .... It must be a C4 picaso thing. They can't be to bad if they are being used as Taxis in australia
    Scott Rohdich likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

I was looking 2013 the last of the previous model, 40,000ks in perfect nic for around 15000 grand looks good value. Yeah we have an old c5 and we love it so comfy , I reckon citroens are very underated.
    Do you know if all those 1.6 thp motors have forged internals? i read that those recent more powerful have.

Edit, I was also considering a 2007 hdi with a broken auto, from what your saying that must a jap box in it? Aisin?

1000+ Posts

Crankshaft and conrods are certainly forged in all versions of the EP6 turbo. I don't know about other components, apart from sodium cooled valves. The crankshaft is supported on a full length casting under the bearings, rather than caps, fitted between the block and the sump.

The 6 speed Aisin box is used in the C5 X7 from 2008. I think in the earlier cars the transmission depends on the engine type, AL4 or ZF. Broken autos can be $$$ depending on the fault.

everyone loves mine: approximately 1500 passenger movements since 31/3/17 with a dozen putting something in writing and 28 clicking Uber's 'Cool Car' button, all unsolicited... verbally, it's gotten to be a bit boring.
    More importantly i can - now - proceed uncannily smoothly not using it manually (and the spec of that model is as much as i want; automatic lights and handbrake but no stop/start, keyless ignition, handsfree tailgate etc.) so i too love mine, and would be at a loss to replace it with anything else...
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 15th May 2018 at 09:46 PM.
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Tadpole

Yeah I reckon there pretty cool for a minibus!
    Good to know they all have forged crank and rods, im a fan of small strong turboed motors good everyday usable torque. il have to look up on sodium cooled valves tho. I suppose the one piece part stiffens the block up a bit.
    im assumming theyed be good for a bit a tune then providing the tranny is up to it.
    thanks for the info guys

I actually normally prefer diesels but I reckon these modern petrol turbo/supercharged charged motors look like the go on paper, havnt actually driven one yet.
    Last edited by Scott Rohdich; 15th May 2018 at 11:30 PM.

1000+ Posts

Sodium cooled valves aren't anything new at all, so no worries there reliability wise. Quite common.

Shane, they're no longer chevrons, they're boomerangs!
    Scott Rohdich and JohnW like this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

The layout of the THP engine, seen from behind, with the inlet camshaft nearest. The inlet shaft has the variable valve timer on the right, and the high pressure pump on the left. The high pressure rail is under the manifold. Just visible on the exhaust shaft is the vacuum pump. The water pump is not driven by the timing chain, and is omitted from the image. The oil pump in the sump has a clever variable feature that maintains output pressure at 4.5 bar.
    C4 grand picasso 1.6 thp any good?-ep6cdt.jpg

Tadpole

NIce , What is real world fuel econmy like, im guessing it shouldnt use too much more than the diesel equivilant?

Being a direct injection turbo, it does have a high compression ratio so economy is good although you absolutely need to run 98 fuel to get the full benefit.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

The compression ratio is 10.5:1. I have found no benefit using higher than 95 octane in my car.

The torque is the same, ie maximum, from 1400 rpm all the way to 3500 rpm, and doesn't drop much after that.

Fellow Frogger!

FWIW

I have the post 2013 5 seat auto e-THP 1.6 and Aisin 6A and seriously consider it to be the best family car Iíve ever seen/owned for the money and brilliant adaptability.
    The display currently shows that over 9,000+ kms using E10/95 from United average speed (quiet country cruising) 66 kph and 5.2/100 consumption.
    Itís a keeper!

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    cam740 and Scott Rohdich like this.

Tadpole

Fantastic , thats hard to beat!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    FWIW

I have the post 2013 5 seat auto e-THP 1.6 and Aisin 6A and seriously consider it to be the best family car I’ve ever seen/owned for the money and brilliant adaptability.
    The display currently shows that over 9,000+ kms using E10/95 from United average speed (quiet country cruising) 66 kph and 5.2/100 consumption.
    It’s a keeper!

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Thread Information