• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast

Thread: DS Cross flow radiator electric cooling fan

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Default DS Cross flow radiator electric cooling fan

I took apart the fan from my '71 DS with the auxiliary electric cooling fan. The fan motor has four permanent magnets. The two on one side have come loose from the housing. What should the N-S orientation be when I glue them back into the housing? Fortunately, the two magnets on the opposite side are still attached, so I can use these to determine the N-S orientation of these two....

Advertisement
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Hi John,

I've looked to see if I have a spare motor, but I only have one complete assembly for our DS21EFI. I's been restored, and bagged, so I am reluctant to pull it apart.

If you can wait till Wednesday, I'll be visiting a Citroen repairer, who will have one I can pull apart for you?

I think that the loose magnets would fit in the same orientation as those still attached?????

I'll see what I can do for Wed?

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger!

I agree with Greg, they should all be the same.
    Woody

All four magnets are arcuate in shape, but they will still fit in two orientations (right side up as shown in the photo, or inverted). I was concerned that one orientation would put the north pole in the wrong orientation (e.g. the north pole at the top of the photo when it should be at the bottom). Inspecting the curved magnets with a third magnet, I discovered that both ends of the curved magnet are north poles as is the inside circular edge. The south pole is along the outer circular edge, so I am guessing it is impossible to orient them incorrectly as long as they are directly opposite the magnets that are still attached....

DS Cross flow radiator electric cooling fan-ds-auxiliary-coolig-fan.jpg

Can anyone confirm?
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Fellow Frogger!

Is there no way to tell what went there from the (glue?) mark 'fingerpints' on the magnets and body?
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    All four magnets are arcuate in shape, but they will still fit in two orientations (right side up as shown in the photo, or inverted). I was concerned that one orientation would put the north pole in the wrong orientation (e.g. the north pole at the top of the photo when it should be at the bottom). Inspecting the curved magnets with a third magnet, I discovered that both ends of the curved magnet are north poles as is the inside circular edge. The south pole is along the outer circular edge, so I am guessing it is impossible to orient them incorrectly as long as they are directly opposite the magnets that are still attached....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DS auxiliary coolig fan.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	105987

Can anyone confirm?
    I can't confirm but this site may help - or confuse

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/io/io_7.html

. . .or here
    https://www.electrical4u.com/permane...or-pmdc-motor/

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Unfortunately, there were no glue marks on the magnets at all. The glue stuck entirely to the steel housing and the profusion of carbon dust obscured any possible witness marks on the magnets. However, given that my experiment with a third magnet disclosed that the two loose magnets were both north pole magnets along the entire inner surface and tips, I reassembled the housing without any particular regard to the up/down orientation, only making sure that the gaps between the two loose magnets and the two mounted magnets were equal. The result is that the assembled motor works again as new. From this I surmise that the Ducellier motor is a two pole motor, in spite of the fact that the north and south poles of the motor are two-piece magnets....

Thanks everyone for the input.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Thread Information