I hear it's easy. but nothing step-by-step - DS brake accumulator replacement
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stallhorn

Thread: I hear it's easy. but nothing step-by-step - DS brake accumulator replacement

Tadpole

Default I hear it's easy. but nothing step-by-step - DS brake accumulator replacement

New to this, so I am being careful not to get "douche vert"

Looked everywhere including 814 manual, can't find step by step. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I just wasn't able to find it..

So I feel steps are:

- Depressurize brake accumulator

- Replace brake accumulator

- bleed front brakes.

I feel stupid asking, but how do you depressurize the brake sphere on a 74 DS23 IE? Depressurize the entire hydraulic system and pump the brakes a bunch of times? How do I know when it is completely depressurized?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Shawn

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Basically, you have it, although the depressurization will happen faster if you open one of the brake bleeders first (just cycle the fluid back into the LHM tank using a CLEAN piece of tubing).
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Basically, you have it, although the depressurization will happen faster if you open one of the brake bleeders first (just cycle the fluid back into the LHM tank using a CLEAN piece of tubing).
    If you are used to the familiar feel of the brake mushroom and the noise of fluid you will know when the brake circuit is "empty" it will feel ... empty ie no resistance to the limited travel of the brake button and there will be no pressure or fluid noise. Also if the entire system is "dead" the car will be at its absolute lowest and sitting on its bump rubbers ( easily seen at the back ) and the front spheres will "rock" under hand pressure and be loose in their sockets.

Fellow Frogger!

At start up after hydraulic lines/systems have been opened you will probably hear a "rattle" as the newly pressurised pipework gets charged. It is easy to bleed DS brakes as the pump does all the "stroking" for you. You just need an assistant to operate the mushroom and then you open the bleed valves. Don't be surprised if you get a rush and a bubbly spurt out of the bleeders. The car must be actually at ride height to get full bleeding .. if the rear is not actually up and doing something the rear circuit will not be fully "energised".. supplied with fluid as the rear braking is a function of the rear suspension's pressure. Do not be hesitant to remove a sizeable quantity of LHM. It is not like a conventional brake system with a minimal volume of fluid in a master cylinder reservoir
    ( mainly there to take up piston / pad wear travel ). If clean fluid comes out of the bleeders you may choose to just return it to the LHM tank. LHM should be bright almost transparent emerald green. If it is discoloured .. discard. It may have been sitting there at a dead end for years, and subject to considerable heat. LHM does not absorb moisture like normal brake fluid.

All of the above presumes you are using the mineral fluid. US regs had strange requirements for brake fluids and Citroen didn't "fit" ... their superior fluid was unacceptable, and they had to prove to the bureaucrats that the ir braking system was NOT a brake system if you get what I mean. Citroen made a series of vegetable fluid cars for US sale when the rest of us got mineral fluid cars. Being so late I doubt yours is one of them though.

UFO

When bleeding the rear brakes the rear wheels MUST be on ramps or a four post hoist (flat bed) as when you open the brake bleed valve the car will drop faster than you can say HOLY SQUISHING BAT BOY - and the bleed valve operator will be dead or wishing they are.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

@fritzelhund - Car is a French version; a green blood.

I wasn't going to bleed the back brakes, but I will do them.

Got me a good set of ramps, so they will be used.

Good idea on the brick! Should simulate my foot well

Thanks all.
    UFO likes this.

UFO

If you've got air in the front brakes you will have air in the rears. Remember the brake circuit is non return unlike the suspension and steering so, once the air gets there...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information