Engine and gearbox stand for DS engine?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Engine and gearbox stand for DS engine?

I've also asked this on the Yahoo forum - so apologies if you've seen this already:

Advertisement

I'm close to taking my rebuilt engine from it's engine stand and marrying it to the gearbox. I'm then going to add the peripherals. It needs to be off the ground - because of dirt and to fit the front disks. I'd like to put it on some kind of base (probably just a wooden pallet!) and add castor wheels. However it needs to be held level and steady.

In the workshop manuals there is a nifty stand that hold the engine under the engine mounts. Pictures are at Op. DX.100-2 in manual 518 and it can also be seen in Op. Dm.100-1 in vol 2 of 814.

Has anyone knocked one of these up and, if so, could they give me some basic dimensions to get one made up please?

Thanks
    Budge
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Hello, how about a sheet of MDF or plywood? It will slide around reasonably easily on either and when finished can be used for shelving.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Peter. It's some kind of frame that I need - to stop it tipping over. I'm also reluctant to leave it sitting on the sump and oil filler cover. What did you do when you were building yours up?

sounds like you want to rebuild more motors!

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

FWIW, I usually just let the engine sit on a bit of plywood when I assemble it to the transmission. I use the engine hoist to stabilize it so it doesn't tip when I am shaking the transmission around to engage the clutch. Sometimes I put a few pieces of wood under the shallow part of the sump. I assemble the disks to the transmission with a few spacers so I can run three of the nuts down on each side. then I roll the transmission around on the disks to line it up with the engine (yes, I know the manual says not to do this, but I have never had anything untoward happen doing this). Once the engine, transmission, and brake disks are assembled, it is very stable sitting on the floor as you assemble the rest of the auxiliaries.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks John. That's very reassuring. Yes - I was worried about it sitting on the disks.

I think the way forward is a plywood base, plus a few strategically placed blocks to keep it all stable.

I may defer this until I've rebuilt the carb though.

Hello, I did exactly the same as John. I don't think my mind is quite as great though.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using aussiefrogs mobile app

Engine and gearbox stand for DS engine?-img_20160214_182026.jpg
    This worked for me.
    Just a chunk of thick MDF on a temporary bench screwed together.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Big Frog. That's very useful - and inspiring! Looks spookily like the state of my own engine. I like the green you used on your block. Mine came out lighter than I wanted - too close to the green I'm using for my hydraulic parts. Not close enough to worry about it though. I can see a couple of blocks under the gearbox to keep it level. Is the engine/ gearbox combo stable?

Hi Budge,
    Never had a problem with it feeling secure, even with just the engine, no gbox, a block of wood here or there kept it stable. A one point I had the engine sitting like this for a year or so in the workshop. Mind you if you have clumsy people using the same space, be more careful
    Good luck
    Steve

Fellow Frogger!

Yes Steve. I have a 13 year old and an 11 year old and don't want to squash them. You can get an idea of the state of mine here:

Thread Information