How to replace clutch master cylinder on 2011 C5 x7 Tourer??
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default How to replace clutch master cylinder on 2011 C5 x7 Tourer??

Hi, We were caught out by the clutch pedal going straight to the floor in an underground car park. Manually pulling the pedal back up didn't help. We have retrieved the car and I have purchased a new master and slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is very accessible so I started by replacing that. The master cylinder looks very inaccessible up under the dash somewhere, so I have left that till I have some more information. In the interim we have been using the car, but on our last trip the pedal went straight to the floor again. This time I found that if I pulled the pedal up by hand the clutch worked again as normal. Does anyone have any guidance on replacing the clutch master cylinder? Cheers Noel

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

We don't have manual X7s in Australia to my knowledge. Is it a BE box or an ML6? The Carnet for the X7 describes bleeding methods for the two, but has nothing on the master cylinder.

The C4 with the BE box has the cylinder mounted on the bulkhead with a rod fixed to the pedal. Is yours similar?

I did one on a import with a Rhr diesel is that yours you just unclip the pedal pipe off then it clips/screws out like a headlight cover

1000+ Posts

I have no idea if this matches your C5, but if it helps, this is the C4 arrangement.
    How to replace clutch master cylinder on 2011 C5 x7 Tourer??-c4-clutch.jpg

Default clutch problem

Quote Originally Posted by NG_C5 View Post
    Hi, We were caught out by the clutch pedal going straight to the floor in an underground car park. Manually pulling the pedal back up didn't help. We have retrieved the car and I have purchased a new master and slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is very accessible so I started by replacing that. The master cylinder looks very inaccessible up under the dash somewhere, so I have left that till I have some more information. In the interim we have been using the car, but on our last trip the pedal went straight to the floor again. This time I found that if I pulled the pedal up by hand the clutch worked again as normal. Does anyone have any guidance on replacing the clutch master cylinder? Cheers Noel
    this could be the same problem as the 308 Peugeots had where the pressure plate in the clutch over centres and give the same symptom, a new modified pressure plate was the answer or a block of wood n the back of the clutch pedal to stop you pushing it in to far
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

Tadpole

Hi, thanks to seasink, dmccurtayne and Balki, the gearbox is the ML6 and the master cylinder looks like the one in the c4 image posted by seasink. From the c4 image it does look like it could unclip from the pedal then clip out as you suggest dmccurtayne. We arrive in France from NZ in the first week of June, so I hope to replace the cylinder at that time and I'll try the block of wood under the pedal for the future. Thanks again for you help. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers Noel

Thread Information